Audio problems, missing first second of audio from anything played

luciddweomer

Jul 24, 2013
Hi, all!

As the title says .... my tablet seems to have a habit of "missing" the first half-a-second/second of audio whenever it plays something. I get a "click" as if the speaker is powering on, and then silence for the first part of any audio played. This isn't a major issue overall, but it is preventing me from using a couple of the language apps I'm trying out (namely Babbel and Human Japanese, both from the Google Play store.) Whenever I click on a sound clip, I'm missing about half of it or sometimes ALL of it as they're only short. The only app this doesn't seem to happen with is the "Google Play Music" app, at least not noticeably!

My tablet is a Zenithink ZTPad (C91, I believe - a 10" model with Cortex A9 dual-core) running ICS 4.0x, and other than this I've had no issues - so this is frustrating! Both of these apps work just fine on my old HTC Desire running 2.3, but I'd much sooner use my tablet :)

Any advice would be gratefully received!

-Lucid

mbtechfella79

Jun 10, 2013
Hi, all!

As the title says .... my tablet seems to have a habit of "missing" the first half-a-second/second of audio whenever it plays something. I get a "click" as if the speaker is powering on, and then silence for the first part of any audio played. This isn't a major issue overall, but it is preventing me from using a couple of the language apps I'm trying out (namely Babbel and Human Japanese, both from the Google Play store.) Whenever I click on a sound clip, I'm missing about half of it or sometimes ALL of it as they're only short. The only app this doesn't seem to happen with is the "Google Play Music" app, at least not noticeably!

My tablet is a Zenithink ZTPad (C91, I believe - a 10" model with Cortex A9 dual-core) running ICS 4.0x, and other than this I've had no issues - so this is frustrating! Both of these apps work just fine on my old HTC Desire running 2.3, but I'd much sooner use my tablet :)

Any advice would be gratefully received!

-Lucid

are the files saved locally on the tablet or on a memory card? I would suggest pulling them to a comp. or another device and see if its maybe the song...sometimes ive had files get messed up during a transfer and they didnt work right. Have you tried other apps like Rocket Player?

sknight702

Jun 10, 2013
I think that rocket player is probably not going to cut it...isnt that based on the native android mp3 player?

luciddweomer

Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I took the files (all MP3, by the looks of it) from the Android/Data/Sounds folder on the SD card, which is where HJ stores it's resources. There are over 400 of them, so I only selected a small cross-section - they all work just fine on the PC with no delays, missing audio or anything else.

However, I also had a play around using ES File Explorer to open the files and found that whilst openening them with ES File Explorer's sound player, Google Play Music and any other choices on the system, they all "clip" the sound in exactly the same way. The one thing that DIDN'T clip and played it flawlessly was something called "Dice Player".

Is it possible that somehow the native android MP3 playback functions on my device are screwy? I also tried the same app on my girlfriend's tablet (the exact same model, just different colour) and it has exactly the same problem. For reference, both are running ICS 4.0.3 according to "About Tablet".

luciddweomer

Jul 24, 2013
Well, just to complete this .... I managed to solve the problem by updating my tablet from ICS 4.0.3 to Jellybean 4.1.1 via the manufacturer's website; now I have no audio problems at all, so I can only imagine that this is either a 4.0.3 issue that occurs on certain hardware, OR the original ROM wasn't exactly perfect (and from what I'm reading up about Zenithink, that's not out of the question!).

Thanks for the suggestions though, guys - hopefully if someone has this issue in the future, they'll see this and do the same! :)