Auto Reset - Removed Autonooter

klfaulk

Jan 15, 2011
about 20 min ago i got a notice on screen of a reset, then "deleting all data." at reboot nook animation but no android. now nook appears to be back to stock.

any others?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Can you go into the system menu and check whether you have 1.0.0 firmware, or 1.0.1? Do you know which version you had before the restore?

-Matt

MannyPR

Jan 15, 2011
If your nook had not been upgraded to 1.0.1 yet that might have been B&N pushing the 1.0.1 update to the device. Lots of people had that issue in December when B&N released the update. If it already had 1.0.1 then I don't know.

klfaulk

Jan 15, 2011
installed 1.0.1 successfully yesterday and still says 1.0.1. Also, market, gmail and superuser are still on the extra menu, and wifi apparently not working.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Describe what's happening with wifi. Are you not getting any routers showing up? Fails to connect, or connects and drops? Also, I hate sounding like someone in customer service reading a script, but have you tried to reboot yet? ;)

(My hunch at this point is that you'll need to do a full restore to 1.0.0 and then start over with an update to 1.0.1, then autonoot, etc. But let's leave the pessimistic predictions for later.)

-Matt

klfaulk

Jan 15, 2011
wifi shows as connected under wireless settings. market and gmail do not connect, Nook's Pandora does connect and stays connected.

Nope, have not yet tried a reset. No owner or account showing in settings.

ok, here's my plan. stop me if there's a better way.

Method one: Eight interrupted Boots
Power off the nook.
Tap the power button.
As soon as Welcome to the future of reading appears, hold the power button down to interrupt the boot process.
If the boot animation does not appear, add 1 to your interrupted boot count.
If the boot animation DOES appear, your interrupted boot count is reset to zero. Start over.
Repeat from step 2 until your failed boot count reaches 8. At this point, the nook will re-flash its /system partition. You will see the process on the right.

After re-imaging /system in step one, you need to perform a SECOND process to clear /data.

A Clearing Data dialog will show. NOOKcolor will reboot automatically once complete.

Method 2: "Erase & Deregister Device"
Go to Settings
Select "Device Info" under the top "Device Settings" section
Select "Erase & Deregister Device"
Select the "Erase & Deregister Device" button
You will be prompted with the following confirmation dialog
Are you sure you want to reset your Nook?
Doing so will return your Nook to factory settings, erase local content and deregister this device.
Cancel Reset Nook
Select the "Reset Nook" button
A Deregistration message will appear and NOOKcolor will reboot.
Upon reset a Clearing data message will appear
Clearing data...
A reset is being performed.
This may take a few minutes.
NOOKcolor will reboot again once complete.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What happens in gmail when you go into the settings menu and try to add your account? Since it's not connecting, I assume you won't be able to do it. If that's right, then I'd say it's time for Plan B...

Wait, can you access NookColor Tools? If so, you might try to re-register (not wipe...there's an option that takes you back to the B&N registration app).

-Matt

klfaulk

Jan 15, 2011
Yes, I can get to nookcolor tools. should I erase and deregister?

I don't find an app to go back to BN registration.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yes, I can get to nookcolor tools. should I erase and deregister?

I don't find an app to go back to BN registration.
Give this a try first...on the All Settings menu, try the second "Wireless" option. It will take you to the registration step where you pick a wireless network. After that mine jumps to the welcome screen, but see if yours asks you to register your device.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Now see if you can get gmail working, or at least open settings and add a new account! Give youtube and the market a try too. :)

-Matt

klfaulk

Jan 15, 2011
gmail error - can't establish a reliable data connection. i'll try market but will likely get the same result.

same error with market

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
are we headed for a complete reinstall all the way back to 1.0.0?
If the Google Experience apps (gmail, market, etc) aren't working I say "yeah". Do you have Astro or Titanium available to back up your working apps first?

-Matt