AVOID FocalPrice AT ALL COSTS! Crappy experience inside!

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
It figures my first foray into buying a tablet would be a disaster. Its my fault though because I didn't do my due diligence. Anyway, here's my horror story with FocalPrice, probably the WORST experience I have had attempting to buy something.

I decided on Feb 17 to buy a tablet from them. I register on their site and check out with a credit card using their PayPal system (as a guest, not with a paypal account). Everything comes back processed and things are good- or so I think.

I get a message from them last night that I read this morning saying that, well let me cut and paste:

We would like to confirm that this order was placed by your own credit card. For verification purposes, please confirm the following by replying to this email:

1. You are the legal card holder of the credit card.
2. The shipping address is correct.
3. The credit card is within the period of validity.
4. You accept the terms of use of FocalPrice.
See link: www.focalprice.com helpindex
5. You accept order process time, delivery time, returns and RMA rules of FocalPrice.
See link: www.focalprice.com helpindex
In order to proceed with the order, please also ensure that you provide the following:
6. Scanned copy of the front and back of your credit card

Look at #6!! If that doesn't say "i want to scam the crap out of you" I dont know what is!

I wrote them back saying I have no problems with 1-5, but they are not going to get a scan of my credit card due to security information on it, and to either ship my item since they have payment or cancel my order. Here is their reply:

Tks for your reply.
In that case, we have to cancel the order, it needs 15-25 days for the refund to your account. Pls kindly note it.

Sure they can take my money immediately but to get it back is 15-25 days? I don't think so! I'm calling my credit card company in the morning and dispute the charge. This is rediculous.

Saving a few bucks is NOT worth the risk of identity theft. They change the terms of the sale AFTER they get your money! I cannot give a negative enough recommendation. At least if they immediately refund my money they will save some face. I wont hold my breath.

Last edited:

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
You got that right, and its a wake up call that I need to assume everyone is out to scam until proven otherwise through reviews, feedback, etc. I'll admit its my doing because I was looking for a "throwaway" tablet and got sucked into the "wow, look at all these features for that price!" loop. The only good side is that I didn't order 3 of them (my in-laws were at the same time) because I said "lets see how ordering one works out".

At least I had some sanity I guess.

EDIT - I called my credit card company just now and it turns out they only have 15 days to refund after notifying of an order cancellation. If its not credited by March 6 I can launch a formal dispute.

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
I sent them a message that 15-25 days was unacceptable and that they need to refund my money immediately since they were able to take it out immediately and didn't mention the need for a scan of my credit card. Here's the reply to this:

Tks for your message.
It needs time for the refund process, we will responsible for it till you receive the refund, pls kindly wait it with patience.

I am googling every review site and making sure everyone knows about this "scan of the credit card" after they get your money.

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
Another rep last night sent me a message begging me not to cancel (emphasis is theirs, not mine):

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX,

The credit card orders have some problem in our site this period. Some customs used other person card to buy things on out site. When the real card holder found the problem the product arrived in the other person's hand. That is too late to solve the problem.

I know you feel uncomfortable to offer us the scan of your card. But in our site before each credit card order is shipped out we need the customer to offer us the scan of the card. In order to make sure the order was made by the real card holder. If you really do not offer us the scan I will help you cancel it and ask to refund. it takes 15-25 days the money will go back to your card. Please advise, wish your early reply.

Please just offer us the photo of your card is OK.

Their fraud problems aren't my problem. What is my problem is them wanting security codes from my card and not divulging they want a scan of the card BEFORE taking my money. If they think I'm going to send them a copy of my card with all of its security information they are crazy.

They WILL ask for a scan of BOTH SIDES of your credit card for ANY order. You have been warned.

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
As of sometime in the last 24 hours my order with them went from "paid and unshipped" to "invalid" and I have an order in their "refunded orders" bucket for processing. I also asked them to send a message to my email address (twice) confirming my cancellation instead of using their messaging system. What I got back was a message from a bunch of numbers at qq.com (something like [email protected]) instead of from a focalprice.com address. At least they got the order number right.

What a waste of time, but at least I have built up my paper trail and as I get new information I send it to the credit card company in case they do not comply by the the 6th.

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
Update this morning. Last night I received two replies about this matter (there were two messages opened about this request). In one message about wanting an email from something other than [email protected], i get this reply:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

Tks for your message.
In that case, I can only send message to you. We will left the ticke open till you receive the refund.

Kind regards
Miao.Wang

So in other words, they cannot/will not send an email from an address based on focalprice.com. Weak.

Then I get this message regarding their scan of the credit card and how their fraud is not my concern:

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

Thanks for your reply and letting us know your point of view.

Complying with your request I canceled the order (order number here) issued a refund. It takes 15-20 business days the money will reach your card. I propose you to check your account after 15-20 working days.

If there is any further help, please feel free to approach us.

Have a nice day
Sincerely yours'
Natasha

So now its changed from 15-25 days to 15-20 BUSINESS days for them to credit me.

I don't think so. My credit card has already been notified and I have printed proof of when things were cancelled. They're not holding on to my money.

If anyone would do business with this company after seeing this, I dont know what to tell you.

AVOID THIS COMPANY!

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
Seven hours after I get the "15-20" days email, I respond that I've already contacted my credit card company and they have 15 calendar days to refund my money from when the order was cancelled (19 feb) before I can open a fraud claim and if its not back by March 6 im opening a fraud claim. Fifteen hours after that (almost 24 hours from the "15-20 days" email) I get the following:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Please rest assured. We released the money on 21.2.2013. I think the refund will reach your card in 7-13 days.

Natasha

So 15 to 25 days becomes 15-20 business days becomes 7-13 days. According to paypal its already been credited to my credit card the same day. As soon as I verify its back on my card I am reporting these fraudsters to paypal.