Intro and assistance - Focalprice

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
Hello everyone!

New to tablets in general and decided to take the plunge. Thought Id register since the site has been good for information.

I have a question about a place that popped upon an ad here: focalprice. I don't mind taking a risk on a cheap tablet breaking/bricking, so I went to place an order with them.

Turns out after taking my payment they send me an email asking to verify the card is mine and that I agree to the terms of sale but then... get this... they want me to send a scan of the front and back of my card!

To me, that says scam. Has ANYONE dealt with this company? Are there any reputable companies out of China with cheap tablets?

Thanks!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello David, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

DaviDroid

Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate your help.

I was shopping on FocalPrice the other day (I think google ads popped them up off this website) and my normal guard was down. For some reason I thought they were a forum sponsor (some sites only let forum sponsors advertise) and the transaction went smoothly. It wasn't until I got a message last night saying that they need a scanned copy of the front and back of my credit card that I started googling them in earnest and realized what I mistake I made. I told them they can either ship it without the credit card scan or cancel the order. I am going to give them until tomorrow morning to reply and then I am calling my credit card company to report the charge.

In any event, more searching here has found a few overseas places that might be better suited for what I want. Merimobiles has a good tablet selection and others here have had favourable reviews of them so I might give them a try once I get this mess sorted out.

Given how long I've been on the 'net, I can't believe I made such a n00b mistake. :(

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I thought they were a forum sponsor (some sites only let forum sponsors advertise)

Given how long I've been on the 'net, I can't believe I made such a n00b mistake.

David,

We try to limit advertising to only the Supporting Vendors of the forum, but a few others may be there for a while until a staff member spots and deletes them.

You're not alone re: the n00b mistakes. Every so often, I get complacent or distracted and do something I normally wouldn't. Then, you sit there saying, "I can't believe I just did that.":(

While you're waiting for the new tablet, check out http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-one-guide-how-start-your-android-tablet.html for information on the care and feeding of a new tablet.

Enjoy the forum and your new tablet when it arrives,
Spider