Best Buy Sale on Galaxy

BigCardinal

Jan 16, 2011
For those who have been waiting for the Galaxy to go down in price, Best Buy has the Galaxy on sale. The sale price is 399 with month to month activation. It is in their Sunday ad. I believe that applies for Verizon and Sprint.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Just saw the ad. Very nice price...BUT I am not able to confirm when I go to the website. No details whatsoever, just an "In Store Only" button and a $499 price. Can anyone confirm?

My local store doesn't open for another 45 minutes. ;)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, just did a little more digging and $399 is a low-ball. Month-to-month price is $499, 2-year data plan is $399.

Device Pricing

• $ 399.99 2-yr New Contract Price
  • $ 499.99 Replacement Device Price
Sorry, not a deal.

I wonder if they'll get heat for it.

EDIT: (11:11AM) Well...hmmm...just called BB and the Verizon guy is telling me "yep, $399 month-to-month." I know not to trust BB salespeople, but he says that's the deal (but Sprint is only 2-year). Strange...

-Matt

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2010
It's too late now, for anyone, but I'm so glad that I snapped up my Samsung Gal-Tab through HSN this December. It sold for $699; was broken down into 4 interest-free installments, and came with $300.00 bucks of VISA card credit and a $50.00 credit for Samsung's MediaHub. I've been weekly burning through the $50.00 buck credit to rent movies that I've been aching to see; they're two dollars cheaper than on On Demand! Plus, I feel relieved that with the cheapest Sprint plan, I can always hook up to webpages and my email when I need it. When I was buying a Belkin cover for my Gal-Tab at BEST BUY, the sales guy was wowed by HSN's sale; even he couldn't top that and was seriously considering ordering one through that website vs. his own.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey, welcome to the forum! I suppose as a Nook owner it's odd for me to greet Samsung owners, but it's a pretty friendly forum. :)

Anyway, you DID get a heck of a deal! I've been impressed that HSN has offered some pretty nice devices. I definitely need to tune in more.

FWIW I still haven't gotten tethering working fully on my Droid, which means the Nook is not much of an internet device when I'm out and about (and what a hassle, huh?). I definitely envy your 3G!!! :mad:

-Matt

Dec 8, 2010
Hey, welcome to the forum! I suppose as a Nook owner it's odd for me to greet Samsung owners, but it's a pretty friendly forum. :)

Anyway, you DID get a heck of a deal! I've been impressed that HSN has offered some pretty nice devices. I definitely need to tune in more.

FWIW I still haven't gotten tethering working fully on my Droid, which means the Nook is not much of an internet device when I'm out and about (and what a hassle, huh?). I definitely envy your 3G!!! :mad:

-Matt

Hey Matt!, says M.Minnesota, waving her hands, feverishly! I welcome ALL responses from friendly tablet owners: Nook, Kindle, Sony, iPad, etc. More than anything, I needed an extremely fast and portable "screen" that could display Powerpoint presentations, slide shows and access the internet for my landscape firm and my presentations: the Gal-Tab fit the bill, beautifully! LOVE the super expandable storage, the camera is out of this world and the internet access is 150% faster than my Sony Dual-core Viao! Didn't know it was a "reader" but love that fact, too, especially since I was able to use Sony's new Android app and transfer all 189 of my books from them.

The 3G is wicked cool; I only use it very sparingly because there are so many Hot Spots in Chicago but also, I don't need it for my slide shows. I want to keep my costs to the $29.99 monthly plan. However, I'm very thrilled that I did get the 3G because there's nothing nicer than having something that you DON'T use, rather than wanting something you don't HAVE, if that makes sense.

I'm glad that you love your Nook. That wasn't an option for me but I've heard very good things about it. We all have to buy the right "tool" for the job, right? ;) Thanks for the positive greeting, Matt. I was suggested to come here from someone at amazon.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You silly Illinoisan, you were suggested by...

...me!!!! :) (Can't change my stupid screenname at Amazon)

Well, I don't want to be a bad influence but there is an interesting discussion in the Nook subforum about using the Nook in the classroom. One possibility (I teach a few large classes) is roaming the classroom with the Nook while using it to mirror and remotely control the Powerpoint presentation. BTW, are you using Quickoffce to display your presentations, or do you recommend another package? Oh wait..you said "internet"...are they converted to HTML?

My goodness...how do you have 9 posts already??? :eek: I love your enthusiasm!

-Matt

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2010
Tee-Hee! Hey Matt! Nice to know that it was YOU who referred me. See, I told you that I was coming here! I'm studying up on giving BIG presentations; I haven't had to do a roomful yet. Currently, I simply have photos downloaded onto my SD card and then use the internal Slideshow feature to sell jobs. As a landscape architect, my season doesn't start until April so I have until then to get "smart". ;)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yeah it sounds like you have a unique set of needs. HEY: I have to admit, despite any ribbing you might get over the Galaxy Tab, it is gorgeous and creates a very professional impression. Can you list it as a business expense?

-Matt

Dec 8, 2010
A quick update on buying the Gal-Tab through HSN. They sold 15,000 units and were sold out. Now, it's back and the price is lower than ever! It's listed for $549.90, 4 Flex-Pay payments of $137.47, and a $250.00 rebate if you sign up with Sprint. That drops the price down to $299.90, if anyone is interested. And, you have a month to decide it you want it or not. Just passing along an update.

newnick

Jan 23, 2011
You don't need to wait... just walk in a sprint store and get the galaxy tab for $299 with a 2 year data contract.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

robertc88

Jan 26, 2011
I got mine at BB last week for $499 with Sprint. I'm unsure of what a two year contract entails as far as cost.

The mobile rep at the store said you do not have to activate it for 3G. Everytime the unit powers up, he said to just cancel it and use WIFI. This is what I have been doing ever since so I don't think I'm incurring any data plan charge as I haven't signed up for one with Sprint.

If it is $30 a month for a contract, buying it for $499 is cheaper than additional paying that additional amount monthly and getting it at a Sprint store for $299. Unless of course I'm missing something and me bypassing activation will come back to bite me.

Dec 8, 2010
Nothing will happen if you hit that "ByPass" activation that continues to come up each time you power up. I did it for 3 weeks until I had run field trials with HOW many times I would have used 3G. Also, to make sure that I'm not having the Data Life sucked out of me, I keep the Gal-Tab on Airplane Mode when I'm out, so there's NO POSSIBLE WAY of it hooking up to 3G. I use the apps Mighty Grocery and Out of Milk every single day and I've discovered the completely work without an internet or 3G connection; that saves me loads of data useage. The only time that I need to hook up to 3G is if I want to put in brand new data and that's only for 1-2 minutes of useage.

I understand that I have an odd lifestyle with all my travelings; most folks go to work at the same place and go to their home each evening. I travel extensively and can be sleeping in 10 different beds in one months time, with my consult work. That's why I had to go with 3G, as not all places have Wi-Fi.