Best Buy says S7 "WiFi only"

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
The shelf tag in our local BB tonight described the S7 as "wifi only". Didn't mention the sim card/phone capabilities at all. It wasn't connected to BB's wifi, either, so customers couldn't try it. The two Galaxys next to it were working fine. Reminds me of how Verizon botched sales of the Palm Pre.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I tried to use a couple of other tablets in BB in WiFi mode ... our BB doesn't have a WiFi system! "If you hold it up and over here (at the end of the security cable) you can generally get on Panera's system" is what I was told by the salesman!

Unacceptable, I say. They are selling technology, the least they can do is offer free WiFi so you can fully test their products and make an informed decision!

FragileRock

Dec 10, 2010
all stores should have a wifi network built-in, it may not be broadcasting. try connecting to BestBuy as a hidden network, it usually works

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010
I really got the impression that my local BB wasn't really trying to sell the S7. It seemed like anyone that tried to approach the S7, the sales person would intervene and steer them to the galaxy Tablet. Only if you said "I don't want the Galaxy Tablet." would they even attempt Tom give you info com the S7. Then they would point out that it's WIFI only. I said, but it has a SIM card slot. They said yeah, I know but it doesn't work.

I think it really just boils down to profit margin. I may be wrong but, I think that the mark up might be more for the Galaxy than S7.

Sent from my Huawei Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Was told this too a month ago. But it was Christmas season and they were so busy with general shoppers nobody tried to sell me anything. I ordered the Hs7 online and went to store pickup. Was prepared to return if it was not what the online description said. But it was exactly as described.

foobaz123

Nov 22, 2010
I really got the impression that my local BB wasn't really trying to sell the S7. It seemed like anyone that tried to approach the S7, the sales person would intervene and steer them to the galaxy Tablet. Only if you said "I don't want the Galaxy Tablet." would they even attempt Tom give you info com the S7. Then they would point out that it's WIFI only. I said, but it has a SIM card slot. They said yeah, I know but it doesn't work.

I think it really just boils down to profit margin. I may be wrong but, I think that the mark up might be more for the Galaxy than S7.

Sent from my Huawei Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

When I got mine they kept trying to convince me that I needed a contract to get the posted price... while also insisting it was Wifi only! That was quite amusing.

I do agree that for whatever reason they would much rather sell the galaxy. Don't know why though.

Sent from my Huawei S7.. :)

zuc

Dec 10, 2010
It is profit margin all the way. BB don't have their paws on the 2-year data plan.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Ask why it is in the cell phone area instead of with the Cruz and Archos tablets ;-}

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
all stores should have a wifi network built-in, it may not be broadcasting. try connecting to BestBuy as a hidden network, it usually works

Totally my thought ... I also asked the salesguy that if they didn't have WiFi then how were the iPads functioning? He didn't have an answer.

I was deciding whether or not to buy the Cruz (tablet, not reader) at that point ... and they were no help whatsoever ... so I went to the iPad display and searched the Internet there for information!

When it came time to return the Cruz for the S7, there was no discussion, I just went in and asked for it ... done.

raduque

Jan 28, 2011
My mother came in with me to buy my S7 tonight, and we were looking at the display while the BBMobile girl was getting the tablet out, and my mom points at the Galaxy Tabs and asks "What's that?". I told her it's the Galaxy Tab, and the girl goes "Yeah, this one's Verizon, this one's Sprint", then my mom asks about the S7 "What's this one?" and the girl answers "It's unlocked, so you could put in an ATT sim or T-Mobile and use it that way". So there's at least one BBuy sales person out there who knows about it.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
My mother came in with me to buy my S7 tonight, and we were looking at the display while the BBMobile girl was getting the tablet out, and my mom points at the Galaxy Tabs and asks "What's that?". I told her it's the Galaxy Tab, and the girl goes "Yeah, this one's Verizon, this one's Sprint", then my mom asks about the S7 "What's this one?" and the girl answers "It's unlocked, so you could put in an ATT sim or T-Mobile and use it that way". So there's at least one BBuy sales person out there who knows about it.

Jajajaja

Sent from my Huawei Ideos S7

Nov 21, 2010
The only issues I am finding with it are

1) Lack of space for apps
2) Needing to 'mod' it to get ATT to work
3) Lack of accessories

I don't feel the average person out there looking for a tablet and doesn't have major tech skills is going to have an easy time with getting this tablet to do what they want to. I wish that these companies would realize that simplicity is what is selling now. Thankfully I am a techie, though unfamiliar with android, but I know enough to search, read, and try buttons and things myself. I know a lot of people who can't do that by themselves.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
The only issues I am finding with it are

1) Lack of space for apps
2) Needing to 'mod' it to get ATT to work
3) Lack of accessories

I don't feel the average person out there looking for a tablet and doesn't have major tech skills is going to have an easy time with getting this tablet to do what they want to. I wish that these companies would realize that simplicity is what is selling now. Thankfully I am a techie, though unfamiliar with android, but I know enough to search, read, and try buttons and things myself. I know a lot of people who can't do that by themselves.

On the contrary - those without tech skills seem to be the ones that are MOST happy with it in my experience. They don't want/need a bunch of extraneous apps and therefore don't run into the memory issues and don't need it for a phone so they don't care about the sim card issues. My friend bought it for his wife to be used as an e-reader, email device, web browser, family calendar display, photo display, BT music transmitter streaming PANDORA, and occasional GPS that can be used as comfortably on the kitchen counter as in the livingroom coffee table, to the nightstand, to the car. All without the need to perform ANY mods whatsovever. It serves that purpose wonderfully, and the netbook she previously used is now gathering dust. Looking at the BB reviews, this seems to be the pervasive view. Granted I personally would love 2.2, a better battery, and certainly some useful accessories such as a dock - but it seems to be fitting the bill for most people who've ventured into S7 land. Sometimes the perspective of the "tech savvy" such as ouselves, clouds our perspective on what most (i.e., not so tech savvy) people want in a device such as this. Just sayin'.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Also, the lower price point draws people who are used to making compromises on their purchases and then hacking them. Otherwise they can go right to higher priced galaxy or ipad. That's what drew me into the hacking experience. A penny phone ($0.01) that did all the iphone did but not out of the box (lg incite). When I got done it was better than the iphone! Now look at me!! A number of gadgets to my hack credits. No tech skills necessary. If you can read and google than you can hack it. Special thanks go to those that have those techie skills. :)