Best Full-Size Budget tablet?

kelemvor

May 8, 2012
Howdy,

My wife's dad has an aging laptop that is slow as molasses these days. He rarely uses it as he keeps it in a separate room and the only thing he uses it for when he does it browsing the internet. He mentioned that since it's so slow he might buy a new one. However, we're thinking he'd be better off with a tablet since he can just set it on the table next to him, can use it for internet and email as well as the thousands of apps.

Because he's older, he would need a full size (9"+) tablet so we won't consider the Kindle Fire or any of the 7" models.

I was looking at the original LePan TC970 since I saw nothing but great reviews on it and it's under $200. He is not and never will be a power user and won't have any reason to root the device. If I can root it to get a nicer version of Android than Froyo I may do that, but that'd be the only thing I'd do to it.

Is there any other tablet that would fit the bill here that you'd recommend over the LePan? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

J

jimbo7630

I'd recommend a Zenithink Capacitive , probably the C91.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
One of the posters in that thread said
Why put these things out without access to the Google Play Store and Amazon store? What is the point of a decent tablet that has access to 6 apps?
So unless you know how to install a new rom this might not be such a great offer.
Also, 4 gigs of memory will go by by in a heart beat and the way these things are set up (unless 4.0 is very different) you can only move portions of apps to the SD card.
My minimum recommended memory is 16gigs. Hope you find something that works for you.

kelemvor

May 8, 2012
Is the Zenithink available anywhere that's not just online so I could return it if we didn't like it? Or is it strictly online? The LePan is available through Walmart so we could take it back if we didn't like it. hmmm.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Is the Zenithink available anywhere that's not just online so I could return it if we didn't like it? Or is it strictly online? The LePan is available through Walmart so we could take it back if we didn't like it. hmmm.

Hi Kelemvor, the Zenthink ZT-280 C91 is really a good choice! it's also a reputable tablet PC among the market, lot's of forum members bought this and satisfied with the quality and performance. it's a good 10 inch tablet PC for under $200. hope you'll find what you want finally!

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
http://www.redtabletpc.com/onda-vi4...acitive-touch-screen-allwinner-a10_p2644.html

Hi, this is highly recommended tablet from a reputable seller. Redtabletpc.com are a supporting vendor on this forum & I recommend them after good reviews. They only sell branded tablets, not oem & will give you good after sales service for updates problem solving etc. They offer choice of shipping to suit either pocket or speed ( I recommend dhl for both reasons). This is a very good tablet & pretty fast. My tab has similar specs ( not such a good camera tho') & I recently went into a local pc store to test other 'big brand' tabs. None had ics, few had ips & none seemed any quicker, smoother or better in any operating way than my tab. You may find this tab cheaper by a small margin on other sites but I hear so many tales of poor service ie: promised in stock then told to wait, sold oem goods supposedly the 'real mccoy' money transfers going missing, long waits for delivery etc etc. Redtablets do what they say they will do. If you're prepared to wait til later in the month they will be selling the dual-core tablets from well known chinese brands such as cube & yuandao (window). It costs nothing to look & I think you'll be surprised by the quality of the newer chinese devices. They have good specs and build quality & now ics is becoming more accessible for apps, they are leadingnot following, the big brand tabs. Well worth checking out in my opinion.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011
I would shop around and get a refurbished name brand tablet. 1 sale a day just had a Toshiba thrive for $229.99

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I would shop around and get a refurbished name brand tablet. 1 sale a day just had a Toshiba thrive for $229.99

Which one was it? 16 or 32 gig? Not that it matters, 230.00 for either is a great price and I would pay it for a refurb before dropoing that much on a unknown brand.
Having a TT I would trust a refurb much farther since many returns are not over problems but are for the units not meeting expectations. Saw that with the Vizio tablets all the time.
People paying lowest price for a entry level unit and expecting it to perform like a real PC.
Even the best Android tablets don't perform like real PCs because the OSs just are not set up the same.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2