Binatone Homesurf 705

97browng

Jan 4, 2012
Hi All,

This is my first post so please be gentle. As a wonderful Xmas gift I was bought a tablet. However it is a Binatone Homesurf 705 which to is crap.

It comes with Android 2.1 installed and cannot use the Android Market. I am looking to hack the device to put at least 2.2 on there (so I can use flash) and the market place.

My first problem is that I cannot seem to find the Firmware/ROM/OS anywhere. Also it seems that Binatone have gone their own way as there is no volume button so I also cannot get into the root of the device.

Does anyone know where I can get the software from and then help in getting the software on the device?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
download android system info by electric sheep (you should be able to find the APK for it out there somewhere, and get us all the possible details. Your tab is most likely a rebrand of one that we have a forum for here, and there may be a custom ROM available that way.

Good luck!

97browng

Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the reply I will download it tonight and get the info on here asap.

97browng

Jan 4, 2012
Ok here is the Info I managed to get. I am afraid I could not screen grab (I tried a few apps which did not work) so I had to result to taking photos of the screen.

Is there anything else needed?

$Tablet Info.jpg
Thanks
Gary

Nixsy

Jun 11, 2012
HI I have access to the same device and although I am unable to help with rooting your tablet maybe I can help some of the other members identify the chipset and/or something that may help to root this tablet.

This is my Girlfriends tablet and lets just say she was a little nervous as I dismantled it.
vCkvy.jpg

j3v8b.jpg

cfyjC.jpg

2ZZbY.jpg

TorJ0.jpg

QwCGZ.jpg

a9s0o.jpg

97browng

Jan 4, 2012
Hi All,

It has been many months now and still no luck. Is anyone able to use the pictures/device info to give any help?

Thanks
Gary

Nixsy

Jun 11, 2012
I know it it bringing up a really old post but I managed to backup the boot.img, kernal.img, misc.img, recovery.img and system image =) Adding these to the thread in the hope that this is not forgotton,
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27471347/binatone/homesurf/extract files.zip

This was done using z4mod to get temp root then wireless adb (My usb connection on it is broken), Pushing rkdump running a shell into the mid then dumping images to the sdcard.
My girlfriend has since moved on to a laptop so I now use this mid to learn from. I can use temp root to boot into recovery but the lack of a volume rocker still makes navigating recovery impossible.

Forgive me if I seem very new to this and may be using the wrong terms or correct methods. I am learning.

If anyone has a suggestion of how to simulate the volume rocker in stock recovery please let me know.

Last edited: