Bluetooth GPS on G Tab - Skymap and Nav working!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I had an old Pharos BT-GPS device that I bought several years ago to work with my Nokia 770 tablet, and last night was able to connect it the G Tab and get Google Maps, Navigation, etc. to work. As there are many Bluetooth GPS receivers available (I did a quick eBay search) for under $20, I thought I would post what I did here.

EDIT: Took this a step further, and now have been able to connect the GPS in my phone (Droid Incredible) to my G TAB.

In order to share the GPS from your phone to your tablet, you need to have a rooted phone ShareGPS installed.

1. Download ShareGPS Beta from the market and install on your PHONE <- This goes on the device that has GPS (MUST be rooted)
2. Pair your phone with your tablet
3. Activate ShareGPS on your phone.

This makes your phone a shareable GPS device.

I have tested this so far on the VEGAn-TAB-1.0.0B5 ROM.

1. Download and install Bluetooth GPS from the Market
2. Pair your BT GPS device to the tablet
3. Open Bluetooth GPS
4. Choose your BT GPS
5. Start GPS service
6. Open Google Maps or other navigation or mapping application.

I have tested with Google Maps, Google Navigation and Google Skymap and all three worked a treat!

I have also tested this with GPS Status to see data and that worked great too.

Cheers-
p

Last edited:

jdavis1779

Dec 9, 2010
I cannot seem to get Bluetooth GPS to show up in the market or find the apk anywhere to download any chance you could explain how you got ahold of it. Running VeganTab also btw.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Some people have reported issues with availability or getting that file to download. Here is the current version as of Jan '11.

jdavis1779

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the info actually found it while looking for the other just did not try it until you mentioned it. Was able to get the 1.2.1 version from the link and it works great.

uncledavek

Feb 22, 2011
I am using a Samsung Galaxy phone from Cellular South and a Gtab running vegan and can not get the devices to pair using bluetooth. They see each other but will not connect. I'm a newb to this so I am probably missing something simple.

Any ideas?

elf310

Jan 10, 2011
I just recieved a tomtom navigator 6 kit off of ebay, and paired the gps to the tab, downloaded bluegps4android from sourceforge, and gps status from the market. The gps unit says paired but not connected in bluetooth settings, but start the bluegps service and turn on the gps with power control widget and maps finds my location with no problem. Now to take it in the truck and see how well it works.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I use the one in my phone right now, but I have also tested it with my Pharos BT-500 gps. Right now you can find those on ebay for about $30

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
I wanted to pair my external Bluetooth GPS to the gTab - just what the doctor ordered...

PS - I vote that this should be a "Sticky"...

Amdusias440

Mar 29, 2011
I am also getting the error on both devices, "Paired but not connected".
I am using my Atrix phone, which is also an Andriod device.