Bluetooth GPS on G Tab - Skymap and Nav working!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Try restarting both devices. Also, make sure you process this in this order:

1. Start ShareGPS on Phone
2. Start BlueGPS on Tablet
3. Make sure you have connection
4. On Tablet, open Google Maps (or whatever app you need GPS for)

I have found that this works much better this way on most cases, rather than opening the Maps app first.

Amdusias440

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the tips.
It didn't work at first, so I tried switching "ShareGPS" to a USB connection. Once I did that it showed as "listening" on both bluetooth and USB...I let that roll for a few minutes then unplugged the USB...and boom my location came up on the MapQuest app. Worked on Google Maps as well. Hopefully I don't have to jump all those hoops every time. :)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Hopefully not! i can report that I am actually getting pretty accurate WiFi based fixes on my tab running Corwin's ROM, which is not something I have not had work before

fre1102

Apr 18, 2011
Kind of a stretch, I guess...but any guidance on doing this with a Blackberry Bold? I'm trying to avoid buying a Droid Pro at full-price and am suffering through the last few months before I go all-Droid, all the time. :)

I figure the GPS receiver and software should be pretty standard...

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The tablet part should be the no different. You just need to find a BT-GPS share app for bb

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
For those using an android phone for GPS data to the tablet, TetherGPS works great now.

You have to first WiFi tether (or at least be on the same access point) and then run TetherGPS on the Android phone as the "server" and run TetherGPS on the Gtablet as the "client".

It transmit over the WiFi connection so you don't need to run both WiFi and bluetooth.

Free version (time limited each run) and paid version are in the Market. I tried the free version and it worked very well (after a few updates after mentioning to the dev it forced close on the Gtablet) so bought it.

Tethering (Wifi and GPS) to my Motorola Droid (rooted of course).

Also, CM7 supports Wifi location services and it works extremely well. Some apps look specifically for GPS data and will not run (Realtor app) and needs the GPS tether to function. News and Weather, Maps, etc...work great of CM7 WiFi Location services.

Nova

Mar 30, 2011
Hello P,

Thanks for this great thread. I am able to use Google maps with my tablet by using either BluetoothGPS or BlueGPS.
I keep the Google map updated by using the Wireless Tether.
I can also answer my phone and my passenger can surf the web on the tablet all at the same time. The perfect setup for road-trips.

Although all of this works I always have a contingency plan. Now that I am spoiled on having my tablet on my Ram mount I no longer want my 17" laptop with MS Streets up there as it blocks the view of my passenger mirror. So I am left with my Pharos BT-GPS just collecting dust. How was it that you connected yours to get it to work as the GPS?

fre1102

Apr 18, 2011
Tom, you mind if I ask what program you're using to wi-fi tether? I was going to use a BT tether, but apparently wi-fi is faster. But there's no way I'll be paying Verizon for the privilege (Droid Pro).

Thanks.

Scott

For those using an android phone for GPS data to the tablet, TetherGPS works great now.

You have to first WiFi tether (or at least be on the same access point) and then run TetherGPS on the Android phone as the "server" and run TetherGPS on the Gtablet as the "client".

It transmit over the WiFi connection so you don't need to run both WiFi and bluetooth.

Free version (time limited each run) and paid version are in the Market. I tried the free version and it worked very well (after a few updates after mentioning to the dev it forced close on the Gtablet) so bought it.

Tethering (Wifi and GPS) to my Motorola Droid (rooted of course).

Also, CM7 supports Wifi location services and it works extremely well. Some apps look specifically for GPS data and will not run (Realtor app) and needs the GPS tether to function. News and Weather, Maps, etc...work great of CM7 WiFi Location services.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Hello P,

Thanks for this great thread. I am able to use Google maps with my tablet by using either BluetoothGPS or BlueGPS.
I keep the Google map updated by using the Wireless Tether.
I can also answer my phone and my passenger can surf the web on the tablet all at the same time. The perfect setup for road-trips.

Although all of this works I always have a contingency plan. Now that I am spoiled on having my tablet on my Ram mount I no longer want my 17" laptop with MS Streets up there as it blocks the view of my passenger mirror. So I am left with my Pharos BT-GPS just collecting dust. How was it that you connected yours to get it to work as the GPS?

i paired it as bt device, and then used the BT Tether app.

Chiisai

Apr 6, 2011
I have tested this so far on the VEGAn-TAB-1.0.0B5 ROM.

1. Download and install Bluetooth GPS from the Market
2. Pair your BT GPS device to the tablet
3. Open Bluetooth GPS
4. Choose your BT GPS
5. Start GPS service
6. Open Google Maps or other navigation or mapping application.

I have tested with Google Maps, Google Navigation and Google Skymap and all three worked a treat!

I have also tested this with GPS Status to see data and that worked great too.

Cheers-
p

Using this method, does the android phone have to be rooted (I'm a newbe)? I have Droid X (non rooted) and a gtablet rooted with Clockwork and using Vegan-Tab Ginger Edition ROM.

Thanks so much.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I will see where I have the Bluetooth Tethering APK and try to post it later today.

kuojo

Jun 14, 2013
Hello, I have included a Igo Primo on a tablet Mediacom Smartpad 950s2 3G, Firmware updated by Mediacom site with Android 4.1.1
I have an external bluetooth GPS Qstarz BT-Q816 and I connected the two hardware and the tablet see the Ext BT...
The following characteristics of the antenna:

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS% 2...ts/BT-Q816.htm

I have installed the free Bluetooth GPS Provider, which connects to the GPS and it see the satellites.
I have enabled the settings dell'Android the option "Allow mock locations".
I have start Igo Primo, as well as the Sygic test and OziExplorer, recognize a type of GPS antenna but remain in search of the satellite signal.
If I close the Bluetooth GPS Provider, applications warn that the GPS is off.
It often happens that in starting dell'Igo and Sygic, for a few moments, the software interface, give me the exact location, but then disconnect and go in search without ever reconnect.
I tried various software for external gps but nothing.
The antenna works well on Windows PC, but the Bluetooth is configured as a com port and software work fine.
How can I fix on my tablet??

I have followed this forum and I have downloaded the Bluetooth GPS Droid from Sourceforge... but nothing new...

I have installed the free OruxMaps and have the option "Bluetooth GPS". Part, connects immediately gps antenna outside and work good, without BT GPS Provider or other programs.
Until now the only one who can run ...

Tablet = Mediacom Smartpad 950s2 3G
Android = 4.1.1
Kernel = 3.0.8-g5celade-dirty

I would like to use this software:
Igo8 Primo
OziExplorer