boot loader?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
is there a boot loader for these tablets? and if yes how do we get to it? if no do you think it would be possible to boot these tablets to a cd. like a live cd ?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok so i havent been able to find anything on this yet if someone has please let us know

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
any tablet really right now i have the m001 but that will change shortly, and i know the m001 is really customizable already (like there are some roms for it) but i was just looking for other ways to hack tablets

christim

Jun 12, 2010
I'd say they all have a bootloader. I don't have a tablet so am not sure how to get to the bootloader. I'd also wager you could not take the rom image or system dump, toss it on a CD and hope it would boot to your PC. The hardware and drivers would be all different.

I've messed with my phone a lot, but I don't know if the method of accessing the bootloader is the same on a G1, Moto-Droid, HTC-Inc, Nexus One, etc. The same could be true for the tablets.
As more and more Android tablets come out, I'm sure the hacking scene will grow for them.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You don't have to change the bootloader for anything. In fact I don't see why anyone would want to touch the bootloader. All modifications are done on the system and kernel, never in the bootloader.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
thanks for the responses, i was just trying to think of things to make hacking tablets easier for everyone and i guess we will just have to wait for recovery image to come out, xaueious do you think they will ever come out with saomething like sprecovery or clockworkmod recovery?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry for not seeing this for so long.

I don't know how recovery works in Android, especially with the generic devices because some of those don't even have recoveries implemented. If there is a recovery image, it can be modified to be a custom one. But it will probably be something fresh unless the devices have Android implementations that are similar to existing ones.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Just an update for people that might not know there is a custom recovery for the gentouch now and sure the tablet is hard to find and might not be sold again but its still great info for the people that have it already

stef

Oct 15, 2010
hello i would like to download a firmware for my epad :

Model Number:MID701

Kernel version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty

Processor Brand:VI

Processor Main Frequency:600Mhz

Brand Name:MID701

firmware version: 1.6

CPU:CPU600MHz

i-->i accidentally downloaded a program for my epad that cause it to crash..so i re flashed my unit using the sd card with a firmware there for problems like this given to me by the person i bought my unit from...my epad version now is 1.7.4 its working fine but i noticed that there is no application market installed in my unit now...can you pls.help me on where can i download application market?and also wenever im using the application store in my epad the language and the applications thats popping out from the search are usually in chinese versions...but before i reflashed my unit its in english...how do i change this?ive tried changing the language settings but still doesnt change anything/..hope you cud help me with my concern..thanx

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
I know this is kind of a late response but since I just read your post I thought I'd respond. It appears Asus had encripted their boot loader. The loader that is on my SL101 is the newest one of the day and will not allow me to load other ROMs. I tried to restore to a prior version and it won't restore the loader. The recovery only restores the current loader so I'm back where I started.

So there are reasons to change the boot loaders if the company does this type of thing to the customer. I heard that HG did a similar thing in the past and everyone raised cane and they changed their practices. I don't know why companies don't just try to make the best product and let the customers play with them anyway they want. They got the price with the product when it was purchased, I guess they just want to suck more out of everyone by trying to force them back to them for their updates.

There I go again on one of my rants but that is one of the reasone Apple couldn't compete with IBM and Microsoft with the PC's came out they tried to lock everything down so you had to go to them. They are doing ok now with the IPxx's but with the androids making inroads that might be short lived as the Apple McIntosh.

Jim R