Browser opens but no website

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
Hello - new Tabliet A500 about 2 weeks old. Was using it this evening to Google and play some Solitaire, put it down to eat. Picked it up about 1/2 hour later, woke it up, hit Google and the browser opens, says "Loading..." but never gets to the page. Acer Chat says to do a factory reset. Well that's not fun considering all the time and effort that's gone in to getting it set up.

Troubleshooting I've done so far (conentrating mostly on Browser):
Checked Wi-Fi. Disabled and re-enabled Wi-Fi. Gets connected to the router with no problems. Checked Browser cache/history/data: All erased
Power re-cycle: Turned it off and on with varying wait times.
Wi-Fi: My two other Android phones and wireless laptop all work fine.
Other apps: Working fine.
Browser: Force Closed and reopened it.
Apps: Only downloaded and installed about 10 apps - all from the Market.
E-Mail: Also dead - related to dead connectivity.

I'm out of options here. I don't relish the thought of having to re-do the entire setup.

What do you experts do with a connectivity issue that basically has a Browser that is dead.

Thanks.

H

Afterthought: And by the way, if a factory reset is all that's left, what about a good backup program (and I don't care if it's free or not) that will give me something akin to an "image" you usually use on a desktop/laptop?

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I would go into wifi settings and tell it to forget this wifi hotspot.
Then reconnect.
You might also try another router at aa different location.
Watch the wifi settings page as you try to connect. IF it appears to be looping, connecting, disconnecting over and over, insert a paperclip in the reset hole while it is looping. This method has worked in the past.

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
This is strange but the outcome is good.

The desktop PC was logged in to her Google account. As soon as I logged that desktop out, the tablet was then able to auto-log in. So, it has to be connected to Google first, before it's recognized there or anywhere else. Remember I had cleared all cache and data settings? So it was now looking to log in which is fine. Now, I know many of you will kind of suspect something else was blocking but as far as this episode is concerned, there's too much coincidence: Log off one machine and the other starts working where it wasn't before. You should be able to log in and stay logged in in two or more places. Just something to remember to try if it happens.

Good enough - no factory reset needed. It's back to normal.

And I'm going to see about some software to do a good back up just in case.

H

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Not with the same account. If you have a single google account you can't have two computers accessing that account at the same time. Create a new google account for each machine.

I've had this problem before on a different mail server. I was at work accessing my Ya.... account and my wife was at home on the same account - eventually came up with "access denied" and " security violations".

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Not with the same account. If you have a single google account you can't have two computers accessing that account at the same time. Create a new google account for each machine.

I've had this problem before on a different mail server. I was at work accessing my Ya.... account and my wife was at home on the same account - eventually came up with "access denied" and " security violations".

If you go to your Computer and go to the Gmail settings page in your browser, you can set Gmail to use IMAP, and disable Pop3.

This works way better. You can than access your Gmail from many many different computers at the same time, and any change you make in one (deleting messages, reading them) is instantly synced to all others. So if you read a mail on your phone, your tablet knows its been read as does your desktop machine.

Yahoo, (craptastick email platform that it is) is more picky. The key there again is IMAP mode, but Yahoo's imap is flakey, and it seems like you have to sign up for some magic version of yahoo mail to get imap these days.
Yahoo! Groups

The best solution for yahoo is to have your Gmail account pop the mail off of it and abandon Yahoo entirely. So so quickly before they go bankrupt. (Just sayin....)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, Yahoo is crap. Supposedly owned by MS now.

Yeah do know about the IMAP but have never used. I don't think Hobie used it either. At least he didn't mention so - his problem has something to do with his account or, as an after thought, maybe his tab is trying to use same IP as his computer. This happened to me at work. My boss was so impressed with the A500 that he went out and bought the W500. Anyway both tabs somehow grapped the same IP. I couldn't get on to my gmail nor access the android market. I could go to Utube and some other places - my boss had similar issues. Strange fault that both tabs could use same address in a limited capacity at the same time. I refreshed the IP and that fixed the problem.