Buy now or wait? ~$500 to spend ...

twistid

Sep 14, 2010
I want to buy a tablet so I can skype/facebook/ect... and not have to sit at my desktop computer, and something to take with me on the go. I originally thought about getting the Archos Internet Tablet 70 or 101, although those specs are pretty bad and it looks like the new tablets are dual core processors which seems to be a must have.

So my question is, what is the best tablets you can buy right now (The Galaxy seems to be the only good one besides the Ipad2? I've read about the Nook Color, but it also seems weak spec wise) and should I buy one now or wait a few weeks/month until the other companies have a chance to release there products? Price isn't really a limiting factor, however I absolutely will not pay the $800 price tag for the Xoom, But the ~$540 Wifi version seems like it might be worth the money. Is the Notion Ink in the lineup for top competitors?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
the first thing i would look at if i were you is making sure the tablet can use skype and use it fully because alot out there cant and second there will always be something better coming out so just find one that you can live with and then get that one. but there are some promising tablets coming out in the near future htc has one and the new samsung tab looks pretty good. and the wifi only xoom would be worth the price i think. The notion ink is a pretty nice device but the new tablets that are coming out are putting the ink on the back burner

muslimmamma

Mar 10, 2011
I would make a list of what you MUST have and then see if you can find one that fits all those needs. I settled for a Nook Color and while its awesome i think i should have maybe waited a few more months to get one of the new tablets coming out. There is another thread about a leaked *staples* sales schedule with lists of when the newest tabs are going to be coming out. I'd just see if you find one that suits your needs now and if you do get it otherwise wait til you can get one that does Everything you want.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
View attachment 1674This 10" Tablet has best screen resolution of all tablets and Dual Core Tegra 250 high speed processor like the xoom , click on attachment above of Elocity A10, now taking orders at tigerdirect.com , i believe they start at $399/439 range

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Everyone who asks me about higher end tablets ($400+) I tell them to wait. There are big releases from HTC, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, Creative etc.. etc.. etc.. that will be hitting the stores and on-line starting in the summer. Lots of competition will drive down prices. I also think it will drive down prices on existing tablets like the Xoom, and Galaxy Tab.... which it already is.