Buyer Beware

bunks10

Jan 31, 2012
Just purchased a supposedly new A500 from Walmart today and found the unit had previously been used because I didn't get the inital setup screen and then when I went to the Market, it started using someone else's gmail account. It was also missing the USB cable. The unit works fine but don't like the fact that it was supposed to be new. Any way to clear the previous persons login stuff?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
press the reset btn with an paper clip

Takes more than that to reset and whip the tablet back to factory.

Settings / Privacy / Factory Data Reset.

Its not clear exactly what all this clears. There may be some left over junk.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
I would definitely take it back. You paid for a new one so return it and make sure you open the new one before you leave.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

black02em2

Jan 15, 2012
you paid for a new tablet not someone elses second hand returned item. they may have taken it back because "something" was defective. You paid for new, i would take it back and get what you paid for.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
For sure either take it back or demand to get some type of compensation. Talk to the manager if you have to.

Sent from Rob's Atrix

jbaerbock

Jan 3, 2012
Walmart has to do something with the line of people constantly returning stuff. In this case they just tried to pass it off as new. Just think what you're getting if you buy underwear there and its "new" rofl.

Sent from my MID7127 using Android Tablet Forum

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
E=bunks10;181531]Just purchased a supposedly new A500 from Walmart today and found the unit had previously been used because I didn't get the inital setup screen and then when I went to the Market, it started using someone else's gmail account. It was also missing the USB cable. The unit works fine but don't like the fact that it was supposed to be new. Any way to clear the previous persons login stuff?[/QUOTE]

You can thank those fickle buyers out there who buy things, play with them, then take them back. As a shop owner, they have earned my rath!!!!!! These are the same sort that insist on "New in the box products"

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Walmart is not suposed to restock used/defective items. THey usually return the items, or sell online when they are refurbished certified.

I would def take it back, they may have though the person didn't use it, but still it was opened. Most walmarts do nto sell display units either and if they do it is well discounted.

I had that happen with a blu ray player years ago that had a regular CDROM in it, that walmart got in serious trouble when I reported it on survey to the HQ, which sent me a 100.00 gift card for my troubles after replacing it.

When you got the unit, it should have been in a sealed like bag cover, and also had a protector on the screen you need to remove. IT shoudl have gone through a setup process.

ROKNDJ

Jan 3, 2012
Was it not factory sealed or shrink wrapped? Thats something that should always be checked for.

bunks10

Jan 31, 2012
Here's the update.
The next day after purchasing the A500 from my local Walmart, I was in the area of another Walmart about 35 miles away. Checked online first to see if they had any units for sale and found they did (store said they didn't). Went to customer service to exchange and was told that because the unit had been used, I could not return it there and had to take it back to the store where it was purchased (not happy because I know that was wrong). Took it back to my local store and explained to them the other store's refusal to exchange it. They graciously gave me my money back and apologized for the other store's lack of customer service. They even called the other store and complained to the store manager. They checked for availabilty and found out this other store was the only one within 50 miles that has these units. Drove 35 miles in the rain yesterday to the other store, got with the manager, found the A500 and got 10% off for my troubles. This box was shrink wrapped whereas the other was not. Went through the setup process and unit works fine. Whew...what an ordeal!