Can an Android 4.0 Tablet be Used to Play Back Audio Books Without a WiFi Connection?

fassbinder

Oct 20, 2013
Hi.

I am completely new to tablets.

I don't even own a tablet yet but I've been wondering about the possibility of using one to listen to downloaded audiobooks from my library. Just audio.

The problem is the location I would use to listen to the books is quite rural and has no wi-fi available.

My questions:

1. Can an Android 4.0 tablet be used to "check out" the audiobooks using the library's tech services?...currently they use "Overdrive" and "OneClickDigital-RecordedBooks.com". The book would be downloaded using an available hot-spot, hopefully.

2. If the tablet could "load" the book, could it be listened to at a location that has no wi-fi?

I've got more questions but that's a start.

Thanks

Fassbinder

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi fassbinder, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets.

You've got it right. You need WiFi to download the books from the library, but you don't need it to read the books.

Also, most libraries are hot-spots so if you do it at the library you'll be all set. Plus you'll be able to get help from the staff if you have any problems, I hope.

fassbinder

Oct 20, 2013
Hi fassbinder, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets.

You've got it right. You need WiFi to download the books from the library, but you don't need it to read the books.

Also, most libraries are hot-spots so if you do it at the library you'll be all set. Plus you'll be able to get help from the staff if you have any problems, I hope.

Thanks Spider.

Yeah. That sounds right in theory...but I've been reading a lot of comments that unless you have a Kindle or a Nook you might have problems. Something about the Sync function...that if an active wi-fi isn't there you couldn't open the book to read or listen to it...or that you wouldn't be able to download the entire book (without a Kindle or Nook).

I was hoping to do this with a cheaper entry level android tablet running 4.0. It seems like every time I assume things will work I get a nasty surprise. Right now I'm considering a Coby Kyros 4.3" MID4331..at least for the time being. (I would not be a wifi power user).

I'm doing further research before I buy anything!

I did just now find this "list" of compatible devices....

eBook & Audiobook | OverDrive - Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail

Last edited: