Can the APAD be modified?

Soylent_Geek

May 27, 2010
Hi,

I have on the way an APAD.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to upgrade it straight away?

New OS, Upgraded Ram, etc.

Or is it pretty much what I get out of the box?

The one I have coming is the Eken M003

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

- Operating System: Google Android OS 1.6
- Processor: 800MHz (Actual 533MHz)
- Memory: 128MB DDR2
- Capacity: 2GB NAND FLASH, support SDHC TF card up to 16GB
- Display: 8" high-brightness TFT LCD widescreen touch display (800*600 pixel resolution)
- Touch Control: Full size touch operation, sliding menu, functional icon dragging
- Orientation Sensors: With accelerometer, automatic steering display screen
- Network: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi network connection
- Microphone: Built-in
- Speaker: 1 speaker
- Slots: 1 * Micro SD/TF card slot (support up to 16GB) 1 * USB 1 * 3.5mm Stereo Audio out
- Function: E-Book, Office word processing, Document to go (word, excel, PPT, PDF)
- Software: Google chome-lite Browser, UCWEB Browser; Mainstream web mail service, Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail, Sina mail, 163 mail; Fring, Skype out; QQ, MSN, SKYPE, GTALK
- OS Language: Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable battery
- Power Adapter: 100-240V (US plug)
- Accessories: AC power adapter, USB data cable, user manual

D.

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Not very much to do atm I'm afraid. This tablet is brand new - It'll take some time for devs to start digging with it. However, the M001 is being hacked at (slatedroid) and it seems to be possible to even run Debian(!) on it.

Ledhed

Jun 4, 2010
Where did u buy from? How much? I'm also in Toronto and am very interested. Did you get the version with the webcam?

B.

Hi,

I have on the way an APAD.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to upgrade it straight away?

New OS, Upgraded Ram, etc.

Or is it pretty much what I get out of the box?

The one I have coming is the Eken M003

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

- Operating System: Google Android OS 1.6
- Processor: 800MHz (Actual 533MHz)
- Memory: 128MB DDR2
- Capacity: 2GB NAND FLASH, support SDHC TF card up to 16GB
- Display: 8" high-brightness TFT LCD widescreen touch display (800*600 pixel resolution)
- Touch Control: Full size touch operation, sliding menu, functional icon dragging
- Orientation Sensors: With accelerometer, automatic steering display screen
- Network: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi network connection
- Microphone: Built-in
- Speaker: 1 speaker
- Slots: 1 * Micro SD/TF card slot (support up to 16GB) 1 * USB 1 * 3.5mm Stereo Audio out
- Function: E-Book, Office word processing, Document to go (word, excel, PPT, PDF)
- Software: Google chome-lite Browser, UCWEB Browser; Mainstream web mail service, Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail, Sina mail, 163 mail; Fring, Skype out; QQ, MSN, SKYPE, GTALK
- OS Language: Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable battery
- Power Adapter: 100-240V (US plug)
- Accessories: AC power adapter, USB data cable, user manual

D.

Jun 15, 2010
Guys,
The Apad or the tablet with the Rockchip 2808 with the webcam- is being modified by some of my buyers who are actual developers however I don’t recommend it to my customers but then developers can and they are doing it.

The one with the M003 (that’s what they call it in china ) I will not recommend it as the CPU is very slow and the lcd touch screen is not that awesome and has limited capabilities - however people buy it for low to very moderate use and for some one looking at a cheap gift for around $115.

The Rockship 2808 tablet is the real deal and only one factory makes it in China - so beware there are similar models being sold around and the sellers will not disclose the CPU because there are some manufacturers who get the same body as the Apad but the inside is the M003 - so beware.
because the factory which makes it doesn’t have stock at the moment because I picked up every thing this week.

Don’t get carried away with the difference of 1.5 or 1.6
I have developers who are working with the android 1.5 tablets i supplied and they are well on their way to success.

I hope this helps
Sam

mattstakilla

Jun 13, 2010
I would head on over to

slatedroid.com

their site seems to be down at the moment but that is where I have been and they seem to have alot of good information plus customer firmwares and that type of stuff. give it a gander

manfly9884

Jun 18, 2010
I would head on over to

slatedroid.com

their site seems to be down at the moment but that is where I have been and they seem to have alot of good information plus customer firmwares and that type of stuff. give it a gander

As I've stated in a new thread here. There is an effort to re write Ecotox's Script file in order to load it on an M70003 APad. This will bring some nice changes to the original OS and true hacking can begin.

dvnull

Jun 22, 2010
I'm working on a new build of Andriod, based on API 2.2 (Andriod 8) right now. I should be through testing in the next few days and will post the rapid share link for the brave who wish to help test further.

In the meantime if you would like to take a stab at development yourself the easiest way would be to download the sdk starter kit from the following link. http://developer.android.com/sdk/download.html?v=android-sdk_r06-windows.zip

Cheers
dvnull.

Apad:irobot 7", VIA WM8505、600MHZ basic frequency、600MHZ DSP

Last edited:

tonyps

Jun 28, 2010
Afternoon,
Well, I am looking to get into this area, so I bought one of these little cheap things, not really knowing if it could be hacked to upgrade the OS or what....It is not terribly slow, does OK at surfing, watching YouTube, games (would really like to be able to read ebooks/epub). However, I am really interested in seeing what can be done with it, mainly update the Android v1.6 OS to something more recent or maybe even Linux if it can do the touch screen thing...No hurry, as I know I need to learn alot, especially how to be able to backup/restore what is currently on here before doing any real "damage"...So, all pointers, tips, suggestions greatly welcome...
Tony ...

Tablet PC 8" APAD M003 Computer Netbook Android + WIFI
Main Features
Support high-speed TF card, max 32GB
Google chrome-lite browser UCWEB browser
Rechargeable polymer 2100 mAh battery
Specifications
Operating System
Google Android OS
Memory- 256 DDR2
CPU- VIA VM8505 533MHz
Storage- 2GB
Screen/Display- 8 inch high brightness TFT screen ,16: 9 Widescreen, 800*480
Touch Control
Full size touch operation, sliding menu, functional icons and drag
Direction Sensor
Automatic steering display screen
Network connection
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi certified network connection
TF card
Support high-speed TF card, maximum up to 32GB
Sound Effect
Stereo speakers, built-in microphone
Web browsing
Google chrome-lite browser UCWEB browser
Mainstream web mail service like Gmail/Yahoo mail/ Hotmail
Communication Software
Fring, SkypeOut can call local call, long-distance call, overseas call and mobile call, MSN, SKYPE, GTALK
Game
G-Sensor game, Classic games, Touch games
Ebook
E-book and office word processing, Document to Go(Word, Excel, PPT, PDF), support E-book function
Automatic screen rotaiton
Four-directional rotate screen
Scrath Paper
Desktop Gadgets, support custom 1*1-4*4 size
Clocks
Desktop tools, Analog Clock, Support skin change
Weather
Desktop tools, support custom size( larger and medium optional), support to change skin
Explorer
Android task killer, Andexplorer

mattstakilla

Jun 13, 2010
it would be awesome to get 2.2 or 2.1 as i have heard that flash is now working on both of these.

I guess where people are running into problems is getting the kernal source code. Not sure what this has to do with the hacking but I do know it takes a major part.

BobbyIceCubes

Jul 3, 2010
Morning all,

I am new to the Android world, I have had the Orphan M002 aPad iRobot PC Tablet Android OS 1.5 and built in 1.3MP Webcam for the last month, and I have been really beating it up testing. I eventually want to use them for my business. I would really like to upgrade the OS to 1.6 in order to use certain apps that require it. Does anyone know how I would do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Processor
CPU600MHz + DSP600MHZ
Processor frequency
1.2GHz
Memory
FAST EPC DDR 128MB
Built-NandFlash
2G NAND FLASH
Expansion of storage devices
TF card, Flash Drives
LCD display
7 "TFT touch screen, 800 × 480
Internet support
WIFI wireless Internet access to support
USB
2X USB
Audio
Built-in stereo speakers 0.5W × 2;Built-in
Battery
3000mAH, 7.4V Li-ion batteries
Power adapter
110 or 240V Input, 9V DC Output, 2A
Product Size
190mm × 118.5mm × 14.7mm
Operating system
Google Android 1.5

mattstakilla

Jun 13, 2010
There are some custom roms over at slatedroid(dot)com but all based on 1.5 so far.

The problem is trying to get the kernal source code. If we could somehow get this, either from the archos7 or hiapad, then we could even put a newer version like 2.x.

since hiapad is located in china, they feel they don't have to abide by the gpl and release the source code. However just using the android operating system you are agreeing to these terms.

What they are trying to get done now is work on the makers of the archose tablet as it is based on the same rockchip processor. If they could get that source code then that would open up everything for the apad and the archos.

mattstakilla

Jun 13, 2010
My hopes are leaning towards upgradable ram.

Upgradable ram will not happen. These tablets are made so that they can't really be upgraded in terms of hardware. Some things like battery and camera are a possibility, but the ram is embedded to the motherboard. So unless you know alot about the subject and have some mad soldering skills, your gonna be outta luck

igotitiscool

Aug 17, 2010
I have the rockchip apad and i really do like it, the only problem is that it does not work with my HTC EVO hotspot, so in other words it only works at home and i need it for when not at home. so does anyone have or know where i can get a Windows CE OS image