Cannot mount linux NFS directories

billrclarity

May 23, 2013
I have just got a TF300T, and can't get it to notice my linux nfs server. The tablet will connect with my WiFi, and can get out to the internet fine. But I can't find a way to mount any of my NFS directories from my server. Since I can mount the directories on my laptop, I am confident that the system is working.

I have tried downloading several apps that were suggested (cifsmanager, es manager). But they don't pick up the fact that there are NFS files out there being advertised by my server. There doesn't seem to be anykind of documentation for the aps either. In fact, this seems to be a problem with most of the Android world. The documentation that came with the tablet was borderline worthless, and the pdf manual that I downloaded was not much better.

So what do I do, or where can I look to get started?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

You said mount, that's not going to happen, in the strict sense of the word, however, you should be able to access the files. ES File Explorer, tap lan then search (the magnifying glass). Access by the IP and if shares are set up your login credentials should be able to access it.

billrclarity

May 23, 2013
Tried that and got error message "No WLAN connection, please setup one!" Since I am attached to my WiFi and my notebook can see the shared directories on the server....

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Can your tablet see the laptop? The only thing that I can think of that would cause that just doesn't sound logical. You would need to be on a separate network. Just doesn't make sense.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I have just got a TF300T, and can't get it to notice my linux nfs server.
Android doesn't do NFS, to the best of my knowledge. (It's theoretically possible, but you'd have to compromise server security to make it happen.)

Tried that and got error message "No WLAN connection, please setup one!" Since I am attached to my WiFi and my notebook can see the shared directories on the server....
You tried ES File Explorer, specifically?

You need to tap "Network -> LAN," on the left side of the screen, then tap "+/New" at the bottom, and enter the requested information. If you get it right you'll see the server. Tap the server and you'll see the available shares.

That is assuming, of course, your server is running Samba, it's properly set up, and there's anything shared from it.

Can your tablet see the laptop? The only thing that I can think of that would cause that just doesn't sound logical. You would need to be on a separate network. Just doesn't make sense.
"Separate network" could mean "got the netmask wrong." In such a case, it's entirely possible for a device to be able to access some of the network, but other parts not.

billrclarity, please confirm the tablet's netmask matches that of the server, laptop and, should be, everything else on your (W)LAN.

Jim

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I saw one last week on another forum where the tablet had connected to the guest network and it was isolated from the rest of the network, which was suspicion based on the description,.

billrclarity

May 23, 2013
I think my first problem (no lan) has gone away. Now, when I start ES File Manager (Ver 3.0.3), and select Network->Lan, I see on the screen (in a very light color font) "Add a server by New->Server" I believe this is where I should tap "+/New" according to SEMIJim. However, I don't see the +/New anywhere on the screen. :confused: There are the Exit, Recommend, Theme and Settings at the bottom left.

My network consists of a router capable of 802g WiFi, a Linux desktop with an NFS server connected to the router by Ethernet, the tablet connected by WiFi, and a linux laptop connected by WiFi. My server and laptop can communicate fine using NFS. The tablet can see the router, otherwise I couldn't use the browser or Google. From my desktop, I can ping the tablet and get a response. I am running Network Tools on the tablet and am able to ping the router, the server, and the laptop.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I didn't see you answer the question I asked about the tablet seeing the laptop. When in the Lan view and you tap new from the menu it should as for server as one of the options.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Now, when I start ES File Manager (Ver 3.0.3), and select Network->Lan, I see on the screen (in a very light color font) "Add a server by New->Server" I believe this is where I should tap "+/New" according to SEMIJim. However, I don't see the +/New anywhere on the screen. :confused: There are the Exit, Recommend, Theme and Settings at the bottom left.
I can't tell what you're looking at.

I have "Exit, Recommended, Theme, Settings" at the bottom of the left-hand panel and "Select, +/New, Search, Refresh, View" at the bottom of the right-hand panel.

Btw: To find out just what your tablet is doing and what it can see on the network, try Network Fing.

Btw 2 & 3: If your laptop is running WinXP or later, Network Fing probably won't discover it, by default, because WinXP and later disables ping responses, by default. (Microsoft thinks that adds to security
rolleyes.gif
.) Secondly: Unless you really mean Network File System, which is unlikely on an Android device or MS-Win PC, please stop using the acronym "NFS." It's not a generic term for file sharing. It denotes specifically a certain networking protocol.

Jim

Last edited:

billrclarity

May 23, 2013
Ref: message by leeshor: Using ES File Manager Network->Lan I do not see any of the devices on my network. As I stated, I see a message that says to add a server by New->Server. But according to SEMIJim, the New icon should be at the bottom of the right (light colored) panel. There is nothing at the bottom, no icons of any kind.

Ref SEMIJim message: I downloaded Fing, and it does see all the devices on my network, which at the moment consist of my router, the tablet itself, the laptop, and the server. It also detects that my server is advertising nfs. It doesn't detect CUPS being offered, but I haven't checked if that is in the default list. Also, I do mean Network File System. Both my laptop and server run SUSE Linux 12.1. I only run Windows XP in virtualbox on one of the systems when I want to use Quicken. Oh, when will someone make a good Quicken substitute on Linux?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
When I do a search for LAN devices I find a whole bunch of IP addresses, not just my PCs and printers. It still seems to me like something is missing.

billrclarity

May 23, 2013
As I told you several posts back: Android does not do NFS. You need to get Samba going on that server.

Jim

Just to confirm, to the best of you knowledge, you cannot attach an Android tablet to an Linux NFS file server:(? I do know that Fing recognizes that my server is an NFS server.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Just to confirm, to the best of you knowledge, you cannot attach an Android tablet to an Linux NFS file server:(? I do know that Fing recognizes that my server is an NFS server.
Yeah, TTBOMK, Android does not support NFS natively, nor are there any apps that support it that do not require root access. All Network Fing is doing is a TCP services scan.

Jim