can't restore apps using titanium backup

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i have a rooted nc 1.0.0. when i went into youtube, i didn't know i wasn't supposed to login, so now i can't open it at all. i read that titanium backup will allow me to wipe the app data so i can use it again. the problem is that i get a warning saying 'you're system settings will prevent you from restoring applications. to correct this go to your phones settings and tick the "unknown sources" checkbox.'

i'm sure u all know the problem, which is, there is no setting to allow unknown sources like the phones have. i can't get adb installed, so i figured titanium is my only choice, but it's not really working to my advantage so far. i found another version of youtube that apparently works, but of course i can't sideload it since i can't find where to allow unknown sources

any suggestions how i can sideload the other youtube app i have, or wipe the app data for one i have instlalled currently?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
i have a rooted nc 1.0.0. when i went into youtube, i didn't know i wasn't supposed to login, so now i can't open it at all. i read that titanium backup will allow me to wipe the app data so i can use it again. the problem is that i get a warning saying 'you're system settings will prevent you from restoring applications. to correct this go to your phones settings and tick the "unknown sources" checkbox.'

i'm sure u all know the problem, which is, there is no setting to allow unknown sources like the phones have. i can't get adb installed, so i figured titanium is my only choice, but it's not really working to my advantage so far. i found another version of youtube that apparently works, but of course i can't sideload it since i can't find where to allow unknown sources

any suggestions how i can sideload the other youtube app i have, or wipe the app data for one i have instlalled currently?
Yep, I had the exact same issue. Here is how I solved it:

NookColor Enable App install from on-device installers - nookDevs

Code:
$ adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db 
$ sqlite3 settings.db 
sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'; 
sqlite> .q 
$ adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 
$ adb reboot
-Matt

Last edited:

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
the problem is that i can't get adb installed, it won't see my device. when i try to install the adb driver android_winusb.inf. it keeps failing and i'm stuck without adb access. i wish that sqlite wasn't a paid app or else i'd use that

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, gotcha. I actually had that problem too (I swear, not making it up!). After failing with the USB driver process, I brought up the Windows Device Manager, found the Nook, and allowed it to search automatically for a device driver (instead of pointing it manually). A few tries later, the driver installed and I had ADB access. It sounds like witchcraft, but maybe you can give it a try.

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
good point..i'm gonna try it as soon as my wife brings the thing back, since she finally decided to take it with her to work. i bought it for her, but i've been hoggin it since i got it rooted last night lol. are u running 1.0.0 or 1.0.2. i saw that i could upgrade which may fix everything but i don't wanna wipe all the data since she's bought some books off b & n already

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
good point..i'm gonna try it as soon as my wife brings the thing back, since she finally decided to take it with her to work. i bought it for her, but i've been hoggin it since i got it rooted last night lol. are u running 1.0.0 or 1.0.2. i saw that i could upgrade which may fix everything but i don't wanna wipe all the data since she's bought some books off b & n already
You mean 1.0.1, right? :cool: That's what we're running.

Another coincidence: we have the same husband-wife situation. :eek: I'm a little worried when my wife starts carrying it around, as it has all our google accounts on it. Maybe we should start using the security screen?

Don't worry at all about wiping and reinstalling. I strongly recommend you do the full factory reset, and bump up to 1.0.1. I don't think that will solve your ADB problems--use trial-and-error for that--but if you autonooter with the latest version (http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/auto-nooter-2.12.25.img.zip) you'll get many nice features, including pretty much all the Google Experience apps and some very handy system tools.

If you register the NC to your wife's B&N account, the books will come back no problem (they "live" on the account, and can be downloaded to any other device, including a PC).

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
yea 1.0.1, sorry it's been a long night lol. yea that security screen may be a good idea too, although u should just say..'baby i don't feel comfortable with u taking the nook with u to the store, u should just keep it with me' lol. how do u do the full factory reset. as far as i know, when it first boots up, i gotta skip the google sign in. is there somewhere in the setup that lets u sign into b&n to get the books back? and does it still have the launcher with the exttras, settings, library etc?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
yea 1.0.1, sorry it's been a long night lol. yea that security screen may be a good idea too, although u should just say..'baby i don't feel comfortable with u taking the nook with u to the store, u should just keep it with me' lol. how do u do the full factory reset. as far as i know, when it first boots up, i gotta skip the google sign in. is there somewhere in the setup that lets u sign into b&n to get the books back? and does it still have the launcher with the exttras, settings, library etc?
OK, let's break it down. :)

(1) Excellent idea about keeping the NC at home. Definitely gonna use that one with my wife!

(2) RE: reinstalling, start here: Portal:NookColor - nookDevs. It's the best resource. Just post a note here if there's a step that seems to assume too much.

(3) The first thing you'll do is unroot and wipe: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs. Since ADB isn't working you may need to manually reset multiple times to unroot. :(

(4) Once you've returned to stock, you'll restart the NC. It will take you back through registration. At that point, just be sure to (a) use a gmail address that is (b) the same one you used for your B&N online account (you can change the address online if it's not a gmail address). After registering, it will look and feel exactly like a brand new Nook in stock condition.

(5) To speed things up, you can download the 1.0.1 firmware, and put it on a microSD card. If you put that in the NC, it will detect and install. Otherwise it will eventually download it (assuming you're running wifi) and install automatically.

(6) I'd recommend doing the autonooter like I noted above...which means we need to get the USB problem solved. When that's done, all the functionality of the stock NC is still there (that's the nice part): launcher, book reader, gallery, etc.!

Well, post back once you've started on the new adventure, and we'll get it done. I promise when it's all set up you'll be amazed at how well it runs.

-Matt

Last edited:

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
awesome, yea u definitely have to try that one lol.... i'm gonna be up all night til i get this working. i wish froyo was stable or else i'd update to that. i'll also try that app manager probbiethe1...i'll let u guys know later when i finally get a hold of that nc

ok i thought i was almost done until i see that my download of the autonooter is taking forever. do u have a copy that u could send to me. i still have 45 minutes left to download this thing

Last edited:

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i don't understand this....do i have to keep turning it on and off until it starts reflashing?

Re-Image the NookColor
To do a factory reset on the NC you need to force your reboot counter to hit 8.

Nook screen while re-flashing
You can power off the nook, and then interrupt the boot process by holding down the power button eight times

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Seems odd, doesn't it? But since I used ADB I can't say for sure. But I did notice it turning on and off multiple times, so I'd say yeah you gotta do it manually.

Alternatively, you could skip the step and see if somehow the factory reset unroots. Or if re-nootering (is that a word?) works anyway. But I'd definitely do the physical button (or Settings Menu) factory restore.

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
The only way I could tell if it is still rooted is if the alternate launcher isn't there right??

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Good question. Technically, "rooted" means you can explore the internal memory up to the highest point (normally, only the "media" partition is visible). Not sure how you'd tell, without ADB, Astro, or a terminal emulator installed on the NC so you could check out the file tree. My hunch is that you can skip it, and after factory resetting and installing 1.0.1, you can re-root with the autonooter.

The only catch is whether 1.0.1 will install if you're still rooted, but nookdevs says "Note: Rooted NookColors will not update to 1.0.1. You will have to restore to factory and then update." If 1.0.1 doesn't take, then no sweat...8 reboots! :)

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
ok i got root on 1.1!! does this means i can install the new market then? and only 3 live wallpapers work, all the other ones stay black is that an issue for u too?