Update to 1.3 with manual nooter-don't see Non-market Apps/Unknown sources!?

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
I updated my Nook with the intention of manual nootering, and then restoring my backups with Titanium backup. The problem is that Titanium backup won't restore without having the unknown sources option checked.

I have covered every settings option that I know of-both in the stock settings panel, as well as in the nooktools settings. I'm either the most dense person on the planet, or it's not here.

Any clues, ideas, or comments?

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
That is of course where I expected to see it, and the reason I came here.

Assuming that I missed something obvious, I went and looked again. I just don't see it under the available options. So either I'm really missing something, or it's not available with 1.3?

Can you maybe tell me which section you find this option in?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
When the app comes up, on my Nook, it's right after the "Welcome to the NookColor Settings app." There's a check box labeled "Allow Non-Market Apps."

Just noticed some fine print there under the option that says, "For this to work, the app's apk file must be copied to /system/app. Installing this app the normal way disables this checkbox." That sounds like it might be your problem.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
On my Nook, NC Tools has an unlabeled checkbox on the opening screen that definitely does not say "Allow Nonmarket Apps", but does have the apk message you posted right below the checkbox. Under that is the keyboard option and associated apk message/warning. At the bottom it says "All Settings" and that lets you into the settings program.

Are you saying that on your Nook, the unlabeled checkbox is actually the non-market apps setting? I wonder if this is a problem with nootering a 1.3 image. I'll have to research that before I continue troubleshooting.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Yes, everything matches except my check box is labeled "Allow Non-Market Apps."

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
I will re-nooter this thing and fix permissions and see if that helps.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
I turned the clock back...

Installed the 1.2 update, applied manual nooter and the froyo 1.2ghz kernel and the screen now says "Allow Non-Market Apps".

Looks like it's an issue with 1.3 and manual nooter.

I might have some sort of issue with the market now, though. I'm looking into it.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Ya, market crashes after registering with Google. So now I can't get Titanium backup even installed.

Interestingly enough, the B&N Market is hosed, too. I'm betting that whatever the problem is, it's related.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Although I feel sorry for you, you're making me glad I decided to wait a while before doing anything about the 1.3 update.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
if i recall my other android tabs - you can also find it under settings - applications

I updated my Nook with the intention of manual nootering, and then restoring my backups with Titanium backup. The problem is that Titanium backup won't restore without having the unknown sources option checked.

I have covered every settings option that I know of-both in the stock settings panel, as well as in the nooktools settings. I'm either the most dense person on the planet, or it's not here.

Any clues, ideas, or comments?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ya, market crashes after registering with Google. So now I can't get Titanium backup even installed.

Interestingly enough, the B&N Market is hosed, too. I'm betting that whatever the problem is, it's related.

See if you can find the TB apk and side load it (copy it over from the PC). If you are able to do this and install the app, you can try using TB to clear the Market app cache. I think it is actually called wipe data in TB. This usually fixes that issue with the Market.

Alternatively since it sounds like you are pretty good with rooting, you can try clearing the cache from a Clockwork Mod Recovery either on a bootable SD card or if you install CWR internally after rooting. Since you are working with a clean slate anyway, you don't have to worry about knocking out your app data but it should help fix the Market crashing.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks J5150-I had resolved by then and so never saw your reply. I am a Linux sysadmin, so rooting and other CLI stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest. Truthfully, the "manual"nooter is pretty darned automatic so far as I can tell, anyways.

I do have a new problem...my NC updated itself to 1.3.0, and I no longer have root. I thought auto-updates were blocked. I suppose not, though! The shame is that I had just gotten my final tweaks in place, and not yet had the time to back up all of my app data. So it seems as if I need to start from that clean slate again...

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I thought auto-updates were blocked.

Mine hasn't auto-updated. If I recall correctly, it was having CMR installed that prevented the auto-update when 1.2 came around, not being rooted.