Cell standby battery issue - I think I may be on to something

x.lin

May 24, 2011
Hi to all

I got system update today and now it showes A500 (before A501 inspite of i bought A500). I do not care if it is easier for Acer to make same products and let them have different label and sell them with different price.

I only care about hudge "cell stand by" and how to prevent so massive (30%) batery vaste.

I wanna say system update didn't help :(

hal752

Apr 27, 2011
Its lazy progamming. Mine says it. Look at the box to confirm.

If it was a 501 there would be slot next to the microsd for a sim card. All off this has already being explained on xda.

x.lin

May 24, 2011
Yes many was written - but any solution of this? Did I miss something?

Is it Acer problem or Google?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Yes many was written - but any solution of this? Did I miss something?

Is it Acer problem or Google?
It's an Android issue.
I have a Nook Color that never had and never will have a cell modem which also shows battery drain from "cell standby".

HD87

May 14, 2011
Download SwitchPro Widget (not available on the market). Setup a Widget, select the 3G/E, it'll open up the Mobile Network Settings, Uncheck Data Enabled (all options should be unchecked) back out, set to airplane mode, will boot you off wireless, just reconnect to your Wifi, Battery: Wifi: 5%, Cell Standby: 7%, Display 89%! & If you disable Wifi (when not in use) Cell Standyby:7%; Display: 92%! Will test out and post further info.

Last edited:

HD87

May 14, 2011
Beautiful Weather, Quick Settings (free in market) and many others can do the same thing

Good point. I had SwithPro for my phone so I transferred the file from my PC to the Tab. Im sure those will do it aswell.. it's definitely an improvement!

Last edited:

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
Easy Fix Without Software

TEST
To see how much juice the phone is using goto Settings/About Tablet/Battery Use
Mine, Cell Standby 12% vs WiFi 8%.

It's definitely using power.

FIX
Click the Cell Standby icon/bar in same screen.
It shows more detail and this gem "Switch to airplane mode to save power in areas with no cell coverage"

Goto Wireless & Networks area
Click Airplane mode.
It will disconnect WiFi, just click WiFi to reconnect while in airplane mode.

MaAnne

Feb 25, 2012
Hi. I have a no-name pad and cell standby is using 73-74% of the battery and there is no cell phone, although it can be used as one. I can't find where to turn this off or remove the cell phone capability. I don't want to use it as a phone. Any ideas? Sorry- should have read the thread more. I'll try the .99 app if it will work on my no-name (rather than Acer).

Last edited: