Why is our battery being wasted by cell standby?

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
And also, yes, the battery usage issue by non-existent cell phone functionality is a biggie too.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Ok I found something new. If you try to use a 3G toggle it brings up a mobile network settings menu. This menu should be non-existent on a wifi tablet. The choices in the menu are:

Data Enabled
Data Roaming
Access Point Names
Use 2G Networks
Network Operators

By default the Data Enable was checked. I have searched around and there is actually no way to access this menu without using the toggle. So I unchecked the Data Enabled and I am gonna see if this helps. If it works it is not a total cure and still doesn't explain why a wifi tablet seems to have a 3G radio built in.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
What apps will bring up the menu? Just not sure what you mean by 3G toggle. Thanks!

Wait, scratch that. You mean like one of those widgets that allows you to turn radio and other services on/off with a press?

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
What apps will bring up the menu? Just not sure what you mean by 3G toggle. Thanks!

Wait, scratch that. You mean like one of those widgets that allows you to turn radio and other services on/off with a press?

Yes. I am using the 3G toggle in Extended Controls. It is a paid app I already had but there are free power control Widgets on the market.

Sent from my DROIDX

pentool

May 1, 2011
I emailed Acer support about the Cell standby issue, and this is what I got back today:

----------
Response (Ranju KC) - 05/03/2011 01:17 PM
Dear Les,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I would be happy to assist you.

As per our records your system is in warranty.

After reviewing your email, I understand that you are experiencing multiple issues with the system.

I realize how difficult this situation could be.

Please be informed that a software update will be released to correct the issues on affected units. We have no estimated time of arrival on when the update will be released. You can check if there updates for the A500 by selecting Apps, Settings, About tablet, System update and then Check now.
----------

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Well, that can be good news if they indeed address the issues within their power, in a timely fashion.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
The cell standby issue is prevalent on most android tablets. It is even on my SuperPAD. So I think that it is an android problem

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I'm going to try Widgetsoid2.x.

After installing, go to add a 1x1 "Switcher"
Widgetsoid2.x will open
Click Network from the bottom options
Check 2G/3G
Apply

Close Widgetsoid2.x

Go to the screen you put the widget on and press it. It will bring up the Mobile Network Settings
Uncheck Data enabled

Hope you find this helpfull

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
I'm going to try Widgetsoid2.x.

After installing, go to add a 1x1 "Switcher"
Widgetsoid2.x will open
Click Network from the bottom options
Check 2G/3G
Apply

Close Widgetsoid2.x

Go to the screen you put the widget on and press it. It will bring up the Mobile Network Settings
Uncheck Data enabled

Hope you find this helpfull

It doesn't work. I turned off data using the 3G toggle in Extended Controls last night. Just checked it a few minutes ago and cell standby is at 50%.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I think we should all e-mail customer support about the cell-standby issue... If it's on their radar, maybe they'll bust out an update to fix it before people get to their return-dates... It'd be in their best interest to fix this quickly.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Ok I just got off the phone with level 2 support at Acer. Apparently the cell standby is something that is in the Acer OEM version of Honeycomb. Which backs my belief that the A500 and A501 are actually one and the same. The A500 is just minus the sim card slot. There is no current fix because it is built in to the OEM. I referred the tech to the forum and specifically this thread. He was surprised that there was so many people with this issue. He is going to read the board and also refer it to their team that specifically deals with reading and researching online feedback and forums. So I would not be surprised if one joined to address us personally about this issue as well as others we are having.

pentool

May 1, 2011
Built into the OEM. That's great (...sarcasm alert!) :mad:

I know nothing about Android since this is my first, but is there a way to get the original OS from google and install it on the tablet? (Personally I don't care for Acer's custom folders.)

Also, if they could come up with a fix - like in the next 48 hours - that would be great, since one thing against this tablet in reviews is the battery life. Not having this process would prolly increase the battery life somewhat, and would put this tablet even higher on the charts.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Built into the OEM. That's great (...sarcasm alert!) :mad:

I know nothing about Android since this is my first, but is there a way to get the original OS from google and install it on the device?

Yes and no. We can't get it but I imagine we will eventually have a custom ROM that is pure honeycomb.