Why is our battery being wasted by cell standby?

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
So honeycomb is only licensed to OEMs?

Absolutely. And they really tightened down the licensing too. They are trying to keep HC off of junk equipment that can't handle it and smartphones.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I'm not sure what OEM means... kinda new to android and licensing issues.

Just wondering... do you all think custom Roms will be created, and if so, will they solve the standby issue or is that hardwired into the unit somehow?

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
I'm not sure what OEM means... kinda new to android and licensing issues.

Just wondering... do you all think custom Roms will be created, and if so, will they solve the standby issue or is that hardwired into the unit somehow?

It is built into the OS apparently because the OS is the same for the wifi and upcoming A501 3G version. Hopefully Acer will hear us and give us an update to disable the cell standby. If not I am sure developers will uncode it in custom ROMS.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
You must remember that Acer is a BIG company and just a few people won't get it changed... Start a group on this forum and get people to join. Then show Acer the group.

monteca500

May 6, 2011
Any one try turning off gps, maybe its power usage is being listed under cell standby. someone earlier mentioned usage went up when they went outside

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Let's change it from a gripe to a demand. Those of us who bought the wifi ONLY model should get a free battery replacement program when our rechargables die. The cell standby is eating up our batteries and we didn't ask for it, so the lifetime of our batteries is being cut short by about 20%. Sounds like a free replacement program to me!!!!

Ken

scarpezio

Jun 25, 2010
I rooted mine, changed the names of TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk in system/app to xTelephonyProvider.apk and xPhone.apk, rebooted, and I no longer have any cell standby power usage.

chili_red

Apr 27, 2011
I rooted mine, changed the names of TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk in system/app to xTelephonyProvider.apk and xPhone.apk, rebooted, and I no longer have any cell standby power usage.

I did the same thing and it works perfectly, just named mine a little differently is all but it works and battery life is better.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Any one try turning off gps, maybe its power usage is being listed under cell standby. someone earlier mentioned usage went up when they went outside

Something tells me that THIS is the REAL answer, much like our cellphones. Turned mine off. Will report back in a couple of days.

Edit: Nope, that's not it. Can't see how much of an effect it might have yet, but there is still cell standby reporting. Will still report back to note whether or not it has a negligible effect on battery life.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
I had my tablet on for 2 days in standby with minimal use. Guess what used the most battery? Cell standby used more than 40% of my battery more than any other function.
What the heck I hope they fix this soon.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
But what was the real battery usage? I have seen cell standby as high as 60% on mine (just the past three hours) - I left the tablet at 100% battery at 6 PM, came back just now at 9 PM. Cell Standby was 59% and guess what - battery was still 100%.

I am always in airplane mode and I have my GPS off, and WiFi set to turn off when the screen turns off (Settings>WiFi Settings) and even overnight I still only lose 8-10% battery yet "cell standby" showed almost 60%.

In short, I think the whole "cell standby" thing is an artifact and meaningless - the Iconia has great battery life.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
To avert this issue all you have to do is put your tab in airplane mode and then go back into settings and then reenable wifi. Since you have to do it every time you reset its somewhat annoying but nevertheless, in the time being, well worth the extended battery life (by at least an hour and a half I wouldsay.... as a rough estimate.