Why is our battery being wasted by cell standby?

rcmolski

Apr 4, 2011
I have a widget installed to enable / disabled wifi from my home screen. It beats going into my settings al the time. It's a widget from wifi manager.

Bob

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

adammhaile

May 17, 2011
So, this just gets weirder...
I also have an A500 that actually states that it's a 3G A501 and shows "Cell Standby" all the time.
The weird this is that there seems to be no section for 3G settings in the settings panel in order to disable 3G completely.
I even tried putting the tablet into airplane mode and re-enabling WiFi and then leaving it unplugged overnight. But there was still 10% battery drain and battery status showed more than 40% was "Cell Standby"

For my phone, I've always used a widget called "Power Control Plus" (About $2 in the market, but well worth it). It has a TON of mobile data related options in it so I installed it on my tablet, then created a new widget and added one of every of the 3G related options. In the end, all of the 3G toggles and such didn't do a darn thing, and the only one that got me any where was the "2G-3G" option.

So, here's what you do... Install "Power Control Plus", then create a new 1x1 widget and configure it to use the very first item in the option drop-down called "2G-3G".

No, click on the new widget and it will bring up a new dialog that I had never been able to get to from anywhere else, "Mobile Network Settings". It's not part of the main "Settings" panel, and actually just a floating dialog, with the following controls:
"Data enabled"
"Data Roaming"
"Access Point Names"
"Network Operators"

The only one that should be checked is "Data Enabled"... uncheck that box and then back out of the dialog.
Strangely, in my testing, this didn't help unless I was also in Airplane mode (which did nothing on it's own). So, here's the settings I used.
"Data Enabled" unchecked, Airplane Mode on, GPS off (from "Location and Security" the power control widget doesn't work), "WiFi Disconnect Mode" set to never.

I left it on and unplugged for a full 24 hours, and only lost 1% battery.
When I had WiFi Disconnect set to always, it actually didn't loose any battery.

But here's the kicker... When you go to battery stats, it still shows "Cell Standby" and in my case it was at 58%!! But, not battery lose, so who cares.

I'm going to try again with GPS enabled, but from previous posts, I'm beginning to think that the key is no GPS, Data Disabled (from dialog mentioned above) AND Airplane Mode.

Also, from looking around, it seems that even some XOOM WiFi users have the same issue, so it seems that it may be a general Honeycomb issue. Maybe Google has it fixed in HC 3.1??

Anyways, hope that helps! Will keep testing different configurations every night just to be sure and report back if I find anything else of interest.

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
I left it on and unplugged for a full 24 hours, and only lost 1% battery.
When I had WiFi Disconnect set to always, it actually didn't loose any battery.

Wow! I think you've come closer than anyone in figuring this out. Question...when you say you left it on and it lost 1% of batter, I'm guessing the screen was shut down?

adammhaile

May 17, 2011
Wow! I think you've come closer than anyone in figuring this out. Question...when you say you left it on and it lost 1% of batter, I'm guessing the screen was shut down?
You would be correct. It was sitting on my desk, unplugged with the screen off.
On a side note though... WiFi was definitely still enabled and connected, since I actually had remotely installed 3 or 4 applications from the web version of the market while I was at work and they were installed when I checked later. So it wasn't like it was in some deep sleep mode or anything.

adammhaile

May 17, 2011
Now... who wants to bet that it will be fixed in the 3.1 update? (Not that anyone at Acer has admitted it's a problem yet.)

adammhaile

May 17, 2011
Just a quick update...
I tried the same configuration as previously stated, but this time I left GPS enabled.
It went from 99% charge to 96% overnight and still showed 47% Cell Standby.
Way better than 10-15% loss overnight... but a weird step down from with GPS disabled. Especially since there was nothing running that would use GPS.
Not that I actually ever use it on the tablet, so I guess I'll just leave it disabled for now.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
FWIW- I see the same issue (Cell Standby) on my Nook running Gingerbread 2.3.
Now there's no way the Nook has a cell modem in it, or even had the option for a cell modem- so it's not reporting the resource name correctly in any case.

HarshReality

Jun 19, 2011
Root is not 'Risky'. There is a gingerbreak exploit ATM I used and in 5 minutes had my su installed. Im tempted to try the aforementioned rename trick but while I know there is no chance of a brick the last time I tried something similar on my Moto Droid it sent it into a force close loop so Im a bit leary about that one.

TBone

Nov 19, 2010
I rooted mine, changed the names of TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk in system/app to xTelephonyProvider.apk and xPhone.apk, rebooted, and I no longer have any cell standby power usage.

I changed my 2 to the very same thing, but am still showing cell phone standby usage....any ideas why?

Sent from my A500

ball0fire

May 29, 2011
I changed my 2 to the very same thing, but am still showing cell phone standby usage....any ideas why?

Sent from my A500

it might be there cos it was before, check for reduced batt drainage, thats the important part. if batt life is longer then all is good dont worry aboot what says.

i'm getting aboot 4-5 days outa mine with light use so im happy

TBone

Nov 19, 2010
Actually, a day later and Cell Standby is not showing anymore. Nice. Do you think changing the names on those two will affect the HC 3.1 release coming up?

Sent from my A500