CMP741E Complete Nandroid Backup

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
some help please! I did install the 3 files from c19932 and pushed it via ADB. I read up 'how to restore your tablet from a dump' and installed all files on the microsd card (replacing nanda.img to bootloader.img). I put it in the unit and tried different key combinations to go into the recovery menu, but instead the tablet started flashing the software from the sd card. Can one of you PLEASE outline the last few steps. I think I am almost there...

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
ok, I was able to install recovery files and booted into recovery mode (used recovery.img from mastermind 32.7MB). I copied all files needed for next step to root of sdcard. I think I was good till that point. Next I followed instructions on 'how to restore your tablet from dump' and that didn't go smoothly. Formatted everything (except sdcard) and mounted everything (except sd-ext). Got an error on mounting sdcard. Next set of commands failed to find the files (probably removed during formatting?), anyway pushed them out to sdcard root via ADB and went through each of the 4 commands. system.tgz failed at some point with 'no space left' error.

C19932: Can you please outline the steps after booting into recovery?

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
ok, I was able to install recovery files and booted into recovery mode (used recovery.img from mastermind 32.7MB). I copied all files needed for next step to root of sdcard. I think I was good till that point. Next I followed instructions on 'how to restore your tablet from dump' and that didn't go smoothly. Formatted everything (except sdcard) and mounted everything (except sd-ext). Got an error on mounting sdcard. Next set of commands failed to find the files (probably removed during formatting?), anyway pushed them out to sdcard root via ADB and went through each of the 4 commands. system.tgz failed at some point with 'no space left' error.

C19932: Can you please outline the steps after booting into recovery?

hey sorry about the late reply. ive been extremely busy.. basically i was wasting time fixing my tablet and that set me back on my real life ****

here is a very general guideline: (thx to mastermind for providing all the files)

** first of all, I used cwm 5.5 to do all this. I don't know what version of CWM you have, but I used this recovery:http://files.androtab.info/allwinner/cm9/20120308/NOVO7AE/a10_recovery.zip

1) boot into recovery
2) go to mount options and mount /emmc
3) push nanda.img into /emmc (download: Dev-Host - nanda.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service)
Code:
adb push nanda.img /emmc
in adb, do a "adb ls /emmc" to make sure that nanda.img is in there
4) download this nandroid backup (made by mastermind) (download: Dev-Host - Craig_CMP741e_NANDROID_CWM55.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service)
Extract it. delete the file "nandroid.md5".
Open "system.ext4.tar" with 7zip, and keep deleting files within that archive until the extracted size is less than 260mb...make it less than 250mb to be safe. (the reason you have to do this is because the firmware img we flashed ****ed our tablet and made our /system partition 260mb.
I suggest going into /system/app within the archive and delete any apps you don't need. Google around to see which apk is deletable without ****ing the system up.
note: when I say less than 250mb, I mean that the /system folder has to be less than 250mb. Your system.ext4.tar might be less than 250mb, but once you extract it, it might be bigger.
5) once you've finished modifying the system archive, push all the files into /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/(folder name of your choice) of your tablet.
after pushing, you should have 5 files (boot, cache, data, recovery, system) within that folder (lets name it 123)
double check by doing "adb ls /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123" to make sure that all 5 files are in that folder.
6) after that, you have to regenerate a md5 file. in adb, do this
Code:
adb shell
cd /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123
md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
7) on your tablet, go to backup and restore, restore from internal sdcard, and make sure that the folder "123" is there". if not, then you did something wrong when you were pushing the nandroid backup files into your tablet.
8) on your computer, adb, do this
Code:
adb shell
cat /emmc/nanda.img > /dev/block/nanda
9) after that, go to your tablet cwm, do a restore from internal sdcard, and choose "123".
10) you are done. reboot your tablet and it should work. good luck

t0mmyr

Jan 27, 2013

here is a very general guideline: (thx to mastermind for providing all the files)... good luck

so i've followed your steps 1-5 but im stuck before i can continue to step 6 because i can't verify...here is my command prompt
Code:
C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push nanda.img /emmc
5320 KB/s (16777216 bytes in 3.079s)

C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push sys
tem.ext4.tar /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123
3027 KB/s (259854848 bytes in 83.807s)

C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push cac
he.ext4.tar /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123
16 KB/s (10752 bytes in 0.636s)

C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push dat
a.ext4.tar /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123
3030 KB/s (79324672 bytes in 25.561s)

C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push rec
overy.img /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123
5322 KB/s (33554432 bytes in 6.156s)

C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push boo
t.img /emmc/clockworkmod/backup/123
5296 KB/s (33554432 bytes in 6.186s)

C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb ls /emmc
/clockworkmod/backup/123
when i adb shell i can get as far as /emmc/clockworkmod/backup and list the directories, i see a 123 folder but when i try to cd 123 i get this:
Code:
/emmc/clockworkmod/backup # cd 123
cd 123
/sbin/sh: cd: can't cd to 123
so i tried anyway generating an md5 from the subdirectory and get this:
Code:
/emmc/clockworkmod/backup # md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
md5sum: can't open '*img': No such file or directory

i stripped out a bunch of the media from the tar and some apks to get it under 260mb, im not sure what else i can strip out but it looks like i have another problem anyway since i cant get into the 123 directory, wtf?

t0mmyr

Jan 27, 2013
so it looks like i got around that by copying the 5 files to an actual sdcard (via usb sdcard reader) with the same path <root usb sdcard>/clockworkmod/backup/today

and connected it to my craig, mounted sdcard in cwm, adb shell generated md5 sums, just restored, about to reboot, crossing my fingers

SUCCESS!! touch screen works, plain ole system with a lot of apks and sounds stripped...now to either get cm9 or cm10 with touch working

any idea how we can fix the system partition so we can restore the full nandroid with all the media and apks we had to strip out?

Last edited:

t0mmyr

Jan 27, 2013
to help anyone i've zipped up a working nandroid, follow the above steps and skip steps 4-7, download this zip and extract it to the root of a microsd card, insert sdcard into your device and you can restore this nandroid while in cwm 5.5, dont forget to complete step 8 though it sounds important and i did so i don't know what would happen if you dont.

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
so it looks like i got around that by copying the 5 files to an actual sdcard (via usb sdcard reader) with the same path <root usb sdcard>/clockworkmod/backup/today

and connected it to my craig, mounted sdcard in cwm, adb shell generated md5 sums, just restored, about to reboot, crossing my fingers

SUCCESS!! touch screen works, plain ole system with a lot of apks and sounds stripped...now to either get cm9 or cm10 with touch working

any idea how we can fix the system partition so we can restore the full nandroid with all the media and apks we had to strip out?

congrats. unfortunately I have no idea how to repartition. Either we have to figure that out or find another firmware img with a bigger /system partition AND usb debugging enabled to default

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
THANK YOU to everyone that provided feedback. I got the touch screen back! Just a note to anyone doing this, a small annoyance was that after mount /emmc I could not go back to restore (no back option). I had to mount system and then got that option back.

btw xbmc for android runs great. Getting good quality live feeds like Al Jazeera, Masti etc.. Thanks again to everyone!

-- edit ---
you don't need the back / return option in the recovery mode, just need to press the home button to go back.

Last edited:

mcnscott

Feb 16, 2013
Can anyone provide a step by step for on me on how to get the CWM installed on a bricked cmp741e? I've tried various tutorials on putting generic CWM on an SDcard or installing ADB and going that route, but I can't get anything to work. After we installed the Craig driver the tablet is just stuck at the android loading screen. Several tutorials say to install ADB and then download that way, but I can't get ADB to recognize this tablet is even attached to my computer. Thank you. I really need some help targeted for someone who has never done anything to an android tablet. Thank you.

spock1104

Feb 9, 2013
Hi guys. While doing some development I ended up going down the same road as some of you and completely messing up my partitions and memory. If you, like me, have a tablet that you can't use Craig's img on (gt811 screen) give this a try: CMP741E_GT811.img I modified the Craig image to work with the other variant. Use this file with Phoenixcard; on my tablet it restored my partitions. An added bonus, you'll have CWM 6.0.1.2 installed for you. For details see http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...inktank-cyanogenmod-cmp741e-2.html#post275671

Good luck!

Champ426

Mar 16, 2013
Hi guys. While doing some development I ended up going down the same road as some of you and completely messing up my partitions and memory. If you, like me, have a tablet that you can't use Craig's img on (gt811 screen) give this a try: CMP741E_GT811.img I modified the Craig image to work with the other variant. Use this file with Phoenixcard; on my tablet it restored my partitions. An added bonus, you'll have CWM 6.0.1.2 installed for you. For details see http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...inktank-cyanogenmod-cmp741e-2.html#post275671

Good luck!
I registered just to say Thank You! I wasted my Friday night messing around with this thing and this is the only solution that got it working.

wilmer

Apr 16, 2013
te agradesco mucho, no sabes cuantas noches desveladas lleve en reparar esta tablet, gracias.

randomredmage

Jul 10, 2013
Hey, I apologize for dragging this thread out of its grave but I had to thank you all, with this I have been able to mostly repair my craig tablet that went suisidal on me. one thing I am missing is the nanda.img, the link for that is down. Im assuming without it my touch screen is kaput? blegth. This little toy has been quite the learning exorsize though.

Edit: OK so For giggles I phoenixcarded the craig websites rom.... and it works? did they fix it or am I just lucky? doesnt matter eitber way I guess, but still after that nanda.img if anyone has it. :D I will be putting clockworkmod on this tablet and setting up a backup incase it screws itself again like it had.

Last edited: