Coby 7015 Calendar and Contacts:

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
I have a Coby 7015, which I have rooted, with clockworkmod. I tried to install the calendar, contacts and account and sync settings. The calendar is installed and so is contacts, but no Account and sync Settings shows up in the settings list. Also, gmail stopped automatically syncing. I get frequent messgaes the processes have stopped operating, escpecially com.google.process.gapps. I makes me concerned about the stability of my system.

I have a moderate level of skill on computers generally, but I am new to the Android operating system.

Now that I copied AccountAndSynchSettings.apk to the \system\app folder, I am not sure how to delet it, so I can clear the cache and reinstall it.

Other questions:

How can I tell if I have a 7015 or 7015a, and what difference does it make? My coby receive in February already had the firmware update. Is that the clue?

How do I gerate a listing of the \system\app\files that I can copy and paste into a post?

Thanks in advance. It is wonderful to have this resource. (jschill31: congratulations on the new child. My first grandson was worn last week as well.)

Hello,

Thank you, Ian is our little bundle of joy. To delete it is simple, if you are handy with adb you can use the pull comand. If you have Root Explorer just go to /system/app and select it and long press, then choose delete. If it gives you some warning about not being able to do the delete then just hit the button at the top right to change the R/W authorization. Not sure how to tell if you or I have a 7015 or 7015a but I am sure it is on this forum somewhere? I have only had mine for a couple of weeks but it shipped with the update installed so I can not confirm if it matters or not... There has been well over a hundred downloads and only a few issues so it is tough to say if they are user errors or differences in tablets. I am sure I will also run into this in my next post...working FlashLite!

Cheers

vlad3v

Mar 11, 2011
Hello,

Sounds like there is two different issues going on for both of you. First is with the gapps. Do a wipe of everything and restore a working backup. Boot into Android to make sure there are no FCs. Then restart in Clockwork and flash the Passions version of Gapps. Boot back into Android and look at what you have or for FCs. Then get a list of what aps are in the /system/app/ folder and only add what ffiles are missing. You MUST make sure permissions get changed to what is listed in the OP. Using root explorer is the best and easiest way of doing this, get it from the market.

Cheerels

Sent from my MID7015 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply! Please bear with me - I'm easily lost in the Android terminology. As much fun it's to play with 7015, typing lengthy instructions to newbies is no fun - so I appreciate it even more!

Ok, #1 - "wipe of everything" means calendar and contacts 6 new files or something more? Should I reset back to factory image somehow?
#2 Restore from backup - I wish I was smart enough to take a backup. Never play with system when u staying home with a flu! :)
#3 I thought when I did flash_image with image file I did restore everything and then I re-installed the original gapps from zip in Clockwork... It didn't fix any FCs (Force Close).

Can point me to some insight on how this install in Clockwork works? does it wipe out /system/app? does it forcefully overwrite files or just adds new versions? I can open zip and check files one by one somehow even it's not a pretty option...

What's is the Passion version of gapps?

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
Thank you for the reply! Please bear with me - I'm easily lost in the Android terminology. As much fun it's to play with 7015, typing lengthy instructions to newbies is no fun - so I appreciate it even more!

Ok, #1 - "wipe of everything" means calendar and contacts 6 new files or something more? Should I reset back to factory image somehow?
#2 Restore from backup - I wish I was smart enough to take a backup. Never play with system when u staying home with a flu! :)
#3 I thought when I did flash_image with image file I did restore everything and then I re-installed the original gapps from zip in Clockwork... It didn't fix any FCs (Force Close).

Can point me to some insight on how this install in Clockwork works? does it wipe out /system/app? does it forcefully overwrite files or just adds new versions? I can open zip and check files one by one somehow even it's not a pretty option...

What's is the Passion version of gapps?

Hello,

Wipe everything means in Clockwork Recovery wipe Data Factory reset, wipe Dalvik and wipe cache. Only do this if you have a Clockwork backup of your tablet. If you did not do that when you first gained root and flashed Clockwork then that is a bummer. The best thing for you to do if you have Clockwork Recovery working is to flash the Watery rom version 1.1 or wait for him to do an update. It is a nice rom and will get you going in a hurry. If you don't care about an hour or so you can alway do a factory reset in the settings under "Privacy" I beleive but then you will have to redo your tablet from the beginning and load all programs and flash root and Clockwork again. This sucks but will get you some experience...make a backup as soon as you can if you go this route. That way you can always restore your tablet to a working unit when you want to try mods without any issues. I am confused as to what you mean when you refer to flash_image? Is that a factory recovery way of doing things? My guess is that you are not flashing the correct version of Gapps for our tablet, use this one: http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip this is the passion version and will give you working market. If this is not the one you flashed that explainse all of the FCs... Without using Clockwork to completely wipe the tablet you may continue to experience weird issues down the road. Once you get your tablet back to "newly modded" then you can start using the files I posted and only the files that you do not already have after this process. I realize this is not ideal but each mod builds on other mods and one wrong turn will screw up things entirely. I also just posted how to get some flash working on this model in a new thread.

Cheers

vlad3v

Mar 11, 2011
Hello,

Wipe everything means in Clockwork Recovery wipe Data Factory reset, wipe Dalvik and wipe cache. Only do this if you have a Clockwork backup of your tablet. If you did not do that when you first gained root and flashed Clockwork then that is a bummer. The best thing for you to do if you have Clockwork Recovery working is to flash the Watery rom version 1.1 or wait for him to do an update. It is a nice rom and will get you going in a hurry. If you don't care about an hour or so you can alway do a factory reset in the settings under "Privacy" I beleive but then you will have to redo your tablet from the beginning and load all programs and flash root and Clockwork again. This sucks but will get you some experience...make a backup as soon as you can if you go this route. That way you can always restore your tablet to a working unit when you want to try mods without any issues. I am confused as to what you mean when you refer to flash_image? Is that a factory recovery way of doing things? My guess is that you are not flashing the correct version of Gapps for our tablet, use this one: http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip this is the passion version and will give you working market. If this is not the one you flashed that explainse all of the FCs... Without using Clockwork to completely wipe the tablet you may continue to experience weird issues down the road. Once you get your tablet back to "newly modded" then you can start using the files I posted and only the files that you do not already have after this process. I realize this is not ideal but each mod builds on other mods and one wrong turn will screw up things entirely. I also just posted how to get some flash working on this model in a new thread.

Cheers

"I am confused as to what you mean when you refer to flash_image? " - I was repeating essentially steps 16 thru 22 from this instructions Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process Yes, I reinstalled the exact same file (i missed "passion" in the name, sorry). But since I didn't wipe it out first it looks like it does not overwrite newer files. As I copied files using term emulator they got the today's date.

Sounds like resetting back to factory setting is right way of approaching it - I didn't have a chance to get too much into stuff so there is not that much to lose anyway!

Thank you for the encouragement!

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

Updated OP with new download address. Evidently I ziped the wrong Accounts and Sync app. I guess I had too many projects open at the same time and somehow included a file from a rom I am working on for a different device...sorry guys.

OP updated now

Digitalman42

Mar 11, 2011
Hello,

Updated OP with new download address. Evidently I ziped the wrong Accounts and Sync app. I guess I had too many projects open at the same time and somehow included a file from a rom I am working on for a different device...sorry guys.

OP updated now

Well, I just grabbed the files including the GoogleApps.apk from the watery-kyros-v1.2a.zip, copied to my coby and BAM, it all works now. No errors, can see my contacts with pics, calendar syncs, etc. etc. Awesome. Just awesome! This was what I was hoping for from the get go with rooting and installing google apps exp. Finally there now. Thanks for your work on this.

Never got flash working, but haven't put much time into it. Working on DLNA/UPnP, PlayOn, and Netflix for the kids. That'll be a challenge.

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
DNLA is a piece of cake... What Playon services are you refering to. I thought they only had an IOS app? I have had their services for well over a year and I have seen no Android app. If it exists in beta please share with all of us. I know it is on the works but I haven't seen a leak yet.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

vlad3v

Mar 11, 2011
Well, I just grabbed the files including the GoogleApps.apk from the watery-kyros-v1.2a.zip, copied to my coby and BAM, it all works now. No errors, can see my contacts with pics, calendar syncs, etc. etc. Awesome. Just awesome! This was what I was hoping for from the get go with rooting and installing google apps exp. Finally there now. Thanks for your work on this.

Never got flash working, but haven't put much time into it. Working on DLNA/UPnP, PlayOn, and Netflix for the kids. That'll be a challenge.

Could you please elaborate on what exact files did you take from watery kyros zip?
Have you just moved them to /system/app and adjusted permissions?

I had bad luck with 6 files posted on this thread. When I compared them to files with same names in watery kyros zip they all have different sizes, etc. So, I assume there are internal interface dependencies. List of files that you have used for Calendar and Contacts would really help - I finally have a stable image (just no Calendar and Contacts) and it took some effort to get there.

Thank you in advance!

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

If it was a day or so ago that you tried the files I had posted please try them again. I had a bad Account Sync application in the zip and have since changed it out. Also you only need to add the files you are missing, not all 6. Yes, all you need to do is put them in /system/app and match the permissions to the same as all the other applications then reboot.

Cheers

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
'adb shell sync' does the same as rebooting. You can also just run 'sync' from a terminal as root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

vlad3v

Mar 11, 2011
Hello,

If it was a day or so ago that you tried the files I had posted please try them again. I had a bad Account Sync application in the zip and have since changed it out. Also you only need to add the files you are missing, not all 6. Yes, all you need to do is put them in /system/app and match the permissions to the same as all the other applications then reboot.

Cheers

I had my suspicion about AccountSync - it seem like a file that would cause a global issue with Market (any other would create a localized FC with Calendar or Contact). However, it was really tough to weed it out back - I had to re-image the device (no clear cache, clear VM and restore back to factory settings would clean it up). Well, now I have a back up.

However, your files are still different from files with the same names in Watery ROM and for ContactProvider.apk I already have one on the device that is still yet different... I wonder, after I put them in where else do they end up (from my experience simple replace or delete does not get rid of them)... I hate to restore from backup every time I try a combination but it seem to be the only way.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
The calendar and contacts in watery 1.2+ works. I've just got a couple I'd other issues to sort when I get time...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
I am sorry if this has been a different journey for you, it is your choice to perform the mod. Both the files I have posted and the files in Wattery work they are just from different sources and different tablets. If you wipe your dalvik, cache and data (factory reset) in Clockwork all of your FC's will dissapear. You can then just flash Wattery and you should be fine. The dev is very active and has a quality build. The files that I posted are for a stock user with root who does not want to change the appearance from stock.

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

vlad3v

Mar 11, 2011
Worked as a charm this time!

I kept the existing ContactsProvider.apk wherever it came from (my guess from Google Apps).

Thank you so much for your support!

If not for you this tablet would go back to the store long ago... Now it's a real deal! Thank you!