Coby Kyros 8048 Dump

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
Ok, here's the issue I have a Coby Kyros 8048 for a while now, and after I rooted the first time it keep deleting the obb file after restarting (ie running out of battery or powering off manually), so games that need a folder there keep asking to download everything from there.

After like a year (today) I decided it was enough so I installed both 8048_recovery_signed and 8048t1_root_gapps_signed.zip from Vampirefo thread. But even after that the tablet keep erasing the obb folder. I stupidly went to the recovery mod and formated:
/boot
/cache
/data
/sdcard
/nand
/system

And now it doesn't boot the system, but it does boot the recovery mod perfectly. I read about a missing dump for the model or something so the table is unrecoverable because no one ever uploaded such thing.

NOW the hope I have, I have another tablet exactly like that fully operational (a friend and I bought them at the same time). Now, it is possible to take the dump or whatever from that one and use it to fix mine? Please help, I'm really desperate.

EDIT: Now the dump for the Coby Kyros 8048 here for all to use and fix their tablets (if possible)
EDIT 2: the old link died so I uploaded it again, twice this time. And I'll keep a copy on my pc just in case. If anyone need this and the links are down pm me or post in this thread.
8048 dump.zip (281.3 MB MB) - MEGA
8048 dump.zip (281.3 MB MB) - MediaFire

Last edited:

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
You need a dump, without that nothing can be done. You can use fake recovery to backup a working 8048, then put that sdcard in this one and restore the backup.

So you are saying there's something I can do. I can use my friend tablet to take the "dump" and then use it to put my machine back to work? If that's so then how do I do it, and by all means be sure I will upload that dump on this site for everyone to use and restore!

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
In a couple of hours I'll be done with work and go to my friends house where the tablet is, I have to return it today if possible but don't know what to do or how to do this dump thing.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
In a couple of hours I'll be done with work and go to my friends house where the tablet is, I have to return it today if possible but don't know what to do or how to do this dump thing.

The tablet needs to be rooted, you need adb setup, then use following commands to dump the tablet.

adb shell
su

cat /dev/mtd/mtd6 > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img

cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/dump/system.img

busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/8048_system.tgz /system

Place recovery.img, boot.img, 8048_system.tgz in a zip and upload them and post link. we can go from there, you can then return the tablet if you want.

Last edited:

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
Ok, it's a long download. +500 mb and I don't have Team Viewer on my home machine to start the download before I get there. I think I'll ask him if I can have it till tomorrow. I'm going out of the office now, if all is alright I'll be at home with both tablets in one, two hours tops (have to stop by the bank too).

EDIT: What I found when googled "adb" was a tool for Windows. But from what I read on your post it has Linux commands. It has to be done from Linux only or can I do it from Windows? Sorry if I strike like an functional idiot but I don't really know much about this (trying to learn after this experience).

Last edited:

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
Ok, I wasn't in debug mode and of course the driver wasn't installed. Now the adb recognizes the tablet and I'm now in the shell thingy! However the commands from your post don't work, it returns "sh: cannot create /sdcard/dump/recovery.img: No such file or directory"

EDIT: Okay I was being stupid and left the USB files thing on, and of course the sdcard wasn't avaiable because it was set to share files with Windows instead of with itself. Now I'm making the backup files, both with your metod and with this: http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/ after putting the romdump file in the directory /data/local/ with root explorer.

EDIT2: Ups! The busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/8048_system.tgz /system command returns the following: "sh: busybox: cannot execute - Permission denied". Now what?

EDIT3: It seems I need to actually install busybox for that to work? I'm installing it right now. There are 2 BusyBox on the market play, one called BusyBox made by Stephen (stericson) and one called BusyBox Installer by JRummy Apps Inc. I'm installing the first one.

EDIT4: SOO!!! I finally managed to follow through the whole instructions. I'm uploading the zip file as I write this! Finally the Coby Kyros 8048 will have it's dump for everyone.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, I wasn't in debug mode and of course the driver wasn't installed. Now the adb recognizes the tablet and I'm now in the shell thingy! However the commands from your post don't work, it returns "sh: cannot create /sdcard/dump/recovery.img: No such file or directory"

EDIT: Okay I was being stupid and left the USB files thing on, and of course the sdcard wasn't avaiable because it was set to share files with Windows instead of with itself. Now I'm making the backup files, both with your metod and with this: Index of /romdump after putting the romdump file in the directory /data/local/ with root explorer.

EDIT2: Ups! The busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/8048_system.tgz /system command returns the following: "sh: busybox: cannot execute - Permission denied". Now what?

EDIT3: It seems I need to actually install busybox for that to work? I'm installing it right now. There are 2 BusyBox on the market play, one called BusyBox made by Stephen (stericson) and one called BusyBox Installer by JRummy Apps Inc. I'm installing the first one.

EDIT4: SOO!!! I finally managed to follow through the whole instructions. I'm uploading the zip file as I write this! Finally the Coby Kyros 8048 will have it's dump for everyone.

Sounds good.

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
So, I went to sleep while it was uploading and the upload got stuck :( I'm re uploading. In a couple of hours it should be done (crappy internet).

EDIT: And then it was once again stuck in 100% and never giving me the link. I'm uploading it on my office right now, here the internet is no better but it could be that the issue was with my computer. Fingers crossed. I'm uploading to upload.to. Which other server do you recommend in case this one doesn't work?

FINALLY!! FOR ALL TO HAVE AND SHARE!
Coby Kyros 8048 Dump!!!
EDIT: UPDATED LINK IN FIRST POST.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
FINALLY!! FOR ALL TO HAVE AND SHARE!
Coby Kyros 8048 Dump!!! Here==> 8048 dump.zip (299,33 MB) - uploaded.net

Now what?

Once I get it downloaded, I will make two flashable zips, one for rom other for kernel, most people would only need to flash one, you will need to flash both, as you wiped your boot kernel.

They will need to be placed on sdcard, and flashed through cwm recovery.

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
Ok! Then I suppose now I have to wait. Thanks! Thanks! Lot! I would donate if I could, sadly I can't my goverment have a controlled exchange rate, thus I cannot perform any operation over paypal or anything without asking for permission first and even then we have only so much to spend yearly. But you have my eternal gratitude and thanks! I owe you.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
OK, uploading now.

ro.build.date=Fri Nov 9 08:59:53 CST 2012

You need to put both zips on your sdcard and flash one after the other.

In CWM Recovery

Format

/cache
/data
/system

Flash 8048_stock_signed.zip

then as soon as rom is installed

Flash 8048_boot_signed.zip

Then reboot.

Download below

Stock Rom
8048_stock_signed

Stock Boot.img
8048_boot_signed

Last edited:

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!
I'm downloading, in like an hour it will be downloaded and I'll try! Thanks again.

DONE!!! You sir!! You are really awesome!!! It worked like a charm sir! Again, I'm in your debt, thanks a lot!!! Now I hope this helps everyone with this tablet. I saw a few threads upon this issue on this forum while looking for a solution for this problem. Would be ok for me to write on those threads and/or PM the people?

Last edited: