Coby Kyros Internet Tablets MID7005-4G | MID7015-4G (new)

digitaldope

Dec 18, 2010
Appreciate your reply & this forum. Its helping me learn better than any other place. Re: the batteries in the 7005 & the 7015; does the 7015 have a user replaceable battery ? Also do you know if either of these Coby machines can be upgraded to OS 2.2. I called and asked Coby, and they said no; but I read somewhere you could -- ?

Switchboard

Dec 18, 2010
Looking to purchase a Tablet and this one looks pretty darn good. However one of my primary concerns is that I will not be able to use my portable Hard drive wive this equipment... Does anyone know if I can do this or which Tablets allow me to?
Thanks

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
The 7005 has full SDHC slot and full USB port and mini USB port I could stick portable HDD on it the full port and then use the mini with WiFi USB transmitter for say running M305 Logitech Mouse or WiFi Keyboard (this you need WiFi app) The 7015 only has mini USB it comes with the dongle.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, last week I purchased 3 of these for our kids. After much work I have all three rooted (very easy with z4) and have the updated/modded firmware flashed. Also have the market fix installed. After having some root tweaks applied (autokiller, cachemate, etc), things run a bit faster, but it is still a slug compared to my droid X and HTC incredible phones. Most apps seem to work, some not completely (angry birds) and a few not at all (spaghetti marshmallows). There are some FC's from time to time. I use ZEAM launcher as it is lighter than ADW and LP. The screens are not nearly as responsive as my capacitive droid phones of course. I have no other android tablet use to compare with as far as the screen quality. Overall I know our kids will enjoy these, but they still feel very dated speed-wise compared to my droid phones. For $149 a piece I suppose I shouldn't be complaining.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Your right these are not like those fancy speedy high tech smart phones. But those phones cost a lot more you don't pay because of the contract deals you get from the APN. So 3rd tier vendors sell these tablets cheap but cutting down TS giving you RTS, lower CPU sluggish performance at dirt prices. Tablets like the A7 is what all these tablets should be like well a start. Angry Birds needs 800MHz, 3D GLP hardware not software using the main CPU to run everything like the cheaper tablets do. Hardware based video GPU is faster. Just like your PC and laptop you all know about dual core and extra RAM. Tablets shouldn't be any different.

Tablets
--------
CTS
True Multi-touch
1GHz Dual Core or Tri Core CPU
1GB to 2GB of RAM
1GB of ROM
32GB or 64GB of NAND
64GB of SDXC
HDMI 1080p
Ultra-Bright Panel
Ultra-Tin
Stand
Case

But most are CPU 300MHz to 800MHz, 128MB, 256MB or 512MB of RAM, 2GB to 16GB NAND, 16GB to 32GB External SDHC, Heavy, Matted Panel or Glossy Panel no GPU for graphics an etc. High end models are starting to appear for high, high prices.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I understand my droid X is basically a $500 tablet in a 4.3 screen. I did expect a little more speed than what these coby's put out tho. Overall, it is just a bit too early in the game to expect a $149 tablet running an OS not optimized for it to be the cats meow. I'll be getting myself a tablet pretty soon but will probably wait until the next gen tegra 2 units have had a few months under their belt getting the kinks worked out. The Adam by notion ink looks awesome, but I expect it will have some kinks outta the box. I may wait until the next samsung tab hits verizon as I have an upgrade on one of my lines. But for $149 these coby tabs should do fine for my kids.