JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
To snuffy47 --help

I tried to follow your rooting instructions and got lost--r07 can not
be found, and the ADB instructions are really confusing (I'm a physics
researcher who have done lots of programing, but not recently since
I have been kicked upstairs).
since one only need the usb_driver for 7012, is there anyway you can
put that in a drop box and we can just copy it ??
Much appreciated in advance. Cheers. John

Furthermore, is there anyway to kill dialer in a easy way ??

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
John, what step are you on when you get the r07 not found message? Also, what version of windows are you using?

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
I have windows 7 (should I have use my other Windows XP computer ??)
JDK was downloaded with no problems
when I went to the link of
Android SDK | Android Developers
there was only r15 available--though r12 was available when I
specify android version 2.3.3
when I search for android-sdk-r07-windows.zip
it was not found
The link to
What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK
was very confusing.

why can't someone just give me usb_driver for 7012 ?? isn't it just generic
and should work in any 7012 ??

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
I also used Windows 7 and had zero issue with usb drivers. My PC found MID7012 and loaded drivers all by itself. I did none of the confusing cutting and pasting that is laid out in the instructions. I am pretty sure that Snuffy and all the guys that have had to do those steps were using XP. So...good news there.

I also had to use the r15 because r07 was not available. Also had no problems there.

As I understand it the function of ADB, at least for non developer purposes, is to get your PC and android device linked up. I am far from an expert but if I were you I would skip the usb driver mess and try to plug your tablet in. If windows finds it and loads drivers, success.

I realize that this is very obvious advice but if you haven't already tried it, it can't hurt. I had a few issues while going through the process but so far I am happy with the finished product. Even if you do nothing more than delete the phone.apk it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

bhutchins

Dec 9, 2011
I rooted my 7012, but where do you uninstall "dialer" and "dialer Storage"? Application manager doesnt let me

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
Netflix version 1.21 running perfect without stuttee. I found an apk online for it that has the version check removed if youwant let me know

All I did was use root uninstaller to get rid of the phone apks so that 72% of my battery wasn't being used for cell standby. I haven't seen a need to over clock it yet. Unless it makes Netflix work cuz right now it's awful. Unwatchable.

Silverrayne

Dec 12, 2011
I had not even thought about rooting mine yet. I ended up downloading and installing Amazon Apps and have been very happy since. I got mine for like $80 and for my kid and think this will be great. I got a second one later for $100. The only issues I am still trying to work through is the NAND/SD memory.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
The only issues I am still trying to work through is the NAND/SD memory.

That's the main problem with Telechips based tablets IMO (besides the weak GPU in most models): it uses only NAND as internal storage, and it's not big. Some part of it is mapped as /sdcard, and the (external) microSD is actually a folder inside /sdcard (usually "tflash"), so there is little available space and not much you can do about it (smdkv210 based tables use NAND+microSD internally, so you can change the partition sizes with certain flexibility). The best way out in this case in my opinion is use Link2SD with a dedicated partition for apps.

themadness

Dec 12, 2011
first post folks

i bought my 7012 two days ago and this morning it went kaput. the battery was fine, running normal and it just died. it wouldnt even work while it was plugged in. i called service and we went through the whole reset with hole in the back yada yada and got nothing. he said return it and exchange it at hh gregg. i let it sit for awhile and plugged it back in. it came on long enough for me to hit the reset button and now it stays on while its plugged in. when its not plugged in it flickers pretty bad from time to time and the screen dims. do i have a lemon or is it just something i am missing as far as charging it.

this seemed like the end all thread for the 7012......

GiantRobot

Dec 11, 2011
hmmm...bummer Madness. I just ordered two of the 7012's. Based on what I've read, I just think you received a bad one. Could be a solder point got jarred in transit.