Coby Kyros Tips and Tricks

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Since so many people have them now we decided a tips and tricks thread would be a good idea.

First of all, please do root your tablet! This will allow you to have complete control over your Kyros and you'll be able to install the Android Market, which is MUCH better than Appslib. Not only is Appslib prone to going down, but the apps there are often not up to date versions. Here's the easiest method to root your tablet and install the Android Market:

ALTERNATE (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY) GUIDE FOR ROOTING AND GOOGLE MARKET INSTALL ON WINDOWS - NO SPECIAL DRIVERS OR ADB COMMANDS NEEDED

You'll want to update your tablet first but check the build number in Settings-> About Device first. If the date in the build number is later than 20101124, it was shipped updated and you're all set.

or if you have the 7015A

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ace-using-update-7015a-step-step-process.html

Also check http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ing-android-market-clockworkmod-recovery.html

Once you finish, you can install a custom ROM or update.zip patch to enhance your overall experience.

Some users recommend a task killer program but since Android does a pretty good job of managing memory itself, they aren't necessary. Do be sure to install a file manager and terminal emulator.

If you are interested in deleting some of the preinstalled apps check out this thread for dos and don'ts.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/4562-deleting-preinstalled-apps-bloatware.html

NOTE: I highly recommend you rename the apps you want to delete first (change them from .apk to .bak) and test out your tablet. There are some instances where deleting a certain app will break things. For example, if you delete the phone.apk the YouTube app won't work, and if you delete the GoogleVoiceProvider.apk the soft keyboard goes away too. Proceed with caution!

If you want to customize your home screen, there are a wide variety of wallpapers and themes available. I recommend avoiding "live (animated) wallpapers as they tend to be harder on the battery. The two best launchers I know of are ADW Launcher Ex and Launcher Pro. Both are available for free in the Android Market. To change font sizes, try LCD Density:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/6542-lcd-density-change.html

The Kyros, like the iPad, doesn't do Adobe Flash. That may change if we get a Froyo update. Some people have had luck with installing Flash 10.1 but it's not a guarantee.

If you are a reader, you'll want to download the Kindle, Nook, and Adobe Reader apps. The built in app really doesn't cut it.

Hope these help. We'll be updating this thread regularly so keep checking back!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
If only we could just Read The Fine Manual. But the few pages that came with my MID7015 said little and after it being WRONG about how to insert the sdcard I haven't looked at it again.
Here are a couple of manuals I found for phones of course.
This is for Android 2.2 but my MID7015 is 2.1
http://www.google.com/googlephone/AndroidUsersGuide.pdf
This is said to be for Android 2.1
http://www.google.com/googlephone/nexusone-userguide.pdf

I agree it's best to root. To me the main reason to root is to have clockworkmod's recovery.img for backup and restore. I use the recovery to have multiple backups and multiple restores. One backup relabeled "BASE-Market" has almost nothing but Market. There I can test apps for keepers and copy them to the sdcard if good. I restore to a backup called "Performance" (my Default) which does NOT have Market. If I found a keeper app I install it there from the sdcard. So far I've only found two Market apps I wanted that did not work without the full Google experience (GasBuddy and WeatherChannel) so I just use the browser for those instead. This way I have a pseudo "dual-boot". I feel Market adds bloat and resource drains so I quarantine it.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I agree it's best to root. To me the main reason to root is to have clockworkmod's recovery.img for backup and restore. I use the recovery to have multiple backups and multiple restores. One backup relabeled "BASE-Market" has almost nothing but Market. There I can test apps for keepers and copy them to the sdcard if good. I restore to a backup called "Performance" (my Default) which does NOT have Market. If I found a keeper app I install it there from the sdcard. So far I've only found two Market apps I wanted that did not work without the full Google experience (GasBuddy and WeatherChannel) so I just use the browser for those instead. This way I have a pseudo "dual-boot". I feel Market adds bloat and resource drains so I quarantine it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent feedback there. I have a "base" version as well but is with the Google package. I completely agree with you...the Google App package is a resource hog and since this tablet already has a major issue with RAM, I'm just going to wipe the tablet and use it without the market from now on. I will use my OG Droid to download all the apps I need from the market, back them up with either Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro, then restore them on the tablet. I also love switching to my Cyanogen Backup. The Cyanogen rom runs great but the killer is the video issue so I switch back to 2.1 often.(there is no video playback at all on Cyanogen) There is one "trick" I found to work and has made eclair run a lot smoother for me. I set SetCPU to a minimum of 125000 mhz and found the tablet to be a lot more responsive without compromising battery life much if at all. I did so by creating a text document named setcpu.txt and just put in the vales I wanted. (I.E. 36000,125000,250000,425000,500000,720000) When I want the tablet to act more like my Droid in the way of responsiveness, I set it to a minimum of 425000 or 500000 but the battery of course will die a lot faster.

Last edited:

booda3000

Feb 22, 2011
@ sndplace
Thanks for ur reply.
I'm currently running the Watery rom now and its really smooth. It has breathed new life into my kyros.
I hope l_n continues working on it.
Did u have any luck with connecting your kyros to a 3g hotspot?

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
lol i just posted there... I was waiting to update my phone first to then try the tethering ...

Bane66

Feb 16, 2011
Hello all,
I have adobe flash on my kyros.
It works....
I followed the procedure by sue, but cant get setcpu to run @ 720mhz.
Any tips?

Are the steps to get flash running on the Kyros here on the forums? I've tried some steps on another forum but they didn't work. You don't need a rom to get setCPU to run at 720. You just have to create a text file and load the values for your cpu. Doh, I see jeffc83 already mentioned the setCPU.txt.

Last edited:

booda3000

Feb 22, 2011
@Bane66
I haven't seen any Adobe instructions here.
I Googled Adobe flash for Coby Kyros, and found the download,then unzipped it, then installed it with Linda.
Let me know if you don't have any luck.

Bane66

Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for the file. That is the file I got from tipstir.the-talk.net. I'm going to wait to install it as I think l_n is going to release another rom this weekend.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Flash has had mixed results. Just as many people have had poor results as had good ones.