Considerations before purchase

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
Would like to know the following before getting this device;

-How good/ bad exactly is the screen quality picturewise? Looking at various pictures and youtube clips of the ziio, it looks like the saturation of colours is low, and I hardly can see any red... but this might be due to wrong whitebalance settings on the recording (photo)cameras. I don`t expect retina or IPS quality, but would like colours to be realistic as possible. Should be possible with 16,8 mill colors or not?

-How about viewing angles? Can you watch photos and videos with two persons or you have to sit right in front of the screen? How are the blacks?

-anyone compared the screen to the screen of Archos 70?

-Can it also play and output 1080i/p? I know the screen itself is not HD, but for 7inch the resolution of 800x480 is high enough for me. Just like the idea of bringing own materials and connecting it to any HD screen/projector where ever I am.

If screen would be fine enough and android 2.2 update will be available (hopefully soon) I would like this tablet because I do feel symphathy for the brand. Sound no doubt will be great and an HDMI output is great too I think. What I also like is that when connected to a big screen, the tablet shows the controls and doesn`t change into a black touchpad like the Archos family does...

Owners please help me out!

Last edited:

quantumfusion

Dec 22, 2010
i am not an owner , but i can help you out with some points as it is gaining some attention in Singapore now.

Apparently , the processor has built in 1080p decoding . so as tested by some of our people here , it can play some FULL HD video.
It has HDMI to output to TV

android 2.2 is confirmed by creative to be released before end of January

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
That`s new to me. Knowing that 2.2 is on its way and ZiiO having 512 Mb internal memory... it`s gonaa speed up the whole interface a lot it seems. For the screen quality only I would get a Nookcolor, but I would really like to use HDMI out, so the ability for 1080p playback is cool. Only the Galaxy Tab (more then twice the price) can do that too I beleive... but the ZiiO offers best possible image AND sound to its output!

Is it possible to connect the device to a Mac too? Or do I transfer the data through microSD card instead? That might take a while I guess...
What`s the maximum filesize for video they tried?

Last edited:

quantumfusion

Dec 22, 2010
That`s new to me. Knowing that 2.2 is on its way and ZiiO having 512 Mb internal memory... it`s gonaa speed up the whole interface a lot it seems. For the screen quality only I would get a Nookcolor, but I would really like to use HDMI out, so the ability for 1080p playback is cool. Only the Galaxy Tab (more then twice the price) can do that too I beleive... but the ZiiO offers best possible image AND sound to its output!

Is it possible to connect the device to a Mac too? Or do I transfer the data through microSD card instead? That might take a while I guess...
What`s the maximum filesize for video they tried?

not sure if it works on mac. Never owned a mac before , but i guess if your mac can write files to normal harddisk , it should write normally to this tablet as well.

Ziio positions itself primarily as an audio player weird enough with the X-fi technology.

Well , the screen isnt that bad actually . The resistive screen is the highest of it's class and it is really accurate when used with the stylus.
Good for note taking in school.
The screen works like normal capacitive as well , dont need finger nail.

However, the bad thing is , it doesnt support multi-touch but i guess it is a small issue for this budget tablet.

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
However, the bad thing is , it doesnt support multi-touch but i guess it is a small issue for this budget tablet.

using stylus with capacitive is not possible, so indeed a highly sensitive resistive screen does make sense for note taking/ drawing, plus resistive seems to be more precise in calibration. Multitouch is also nice but can do without it perfectly. Problem I had playing around with a capacitive screen was that all kind of things happened without me wanting it... so it might not be such a bad thing after all.

Any owner can tell me about accuricy of colors?

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Capacitive touchscreens are not my concern about the ZiiO, the price is.

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
The price is your concern? Is it too affordable?

You compare it to the Nookcolor? That has a fantastic screen, but it doesn`t have HDMI output, camera, microphone and probably has a tiny sounding mono speaker... that is not a better deal for me.

Just saw some user reviews on Amazon.com and Amazon.de; lots of (very) positive notes, no negative comments about the screen (sensitivity or picture quality) so far!

I`m getting more and more positive about the ZiiO. In Europe the ZiiO 7 is 249 Euro, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is 749 Euro, Nookcolor not for sale...

Last edited:

quantumfusion

Dec 22, 2010
The price is slightly more expensive than normal shanzai tablets , but worth a buy rather than shanzai tablets.

this has an awesome brand , and creative is the father of all sound card in PC

moxiebee

Dec 28, 2010
You might want to check out the samsung sspv210. Search this site for thread and link. It blew me away at $215. Has everything you asked for and much more. Comes with reactive screen with stylus. Its a 8 inch screen better for drawing, dial core processor and has android 2.2 already installed and supports flash player need to download at market for free. Lots of other features. HDMI jack,1.3 front facing camera for video chat, wifi and 3G capable, millions of colors, lots of memory and is UPGRADABLE to 32g too many more to list. Don't know of any other with all this for the price. This is same company that makes the galaxy which is being compate with the ipad and blowing it away. I'm not saying its a galaxy but it has a lot of the same features without the $600. price tag and at that price it doesn't hurt as much whoutyou want to upgrade when next technology comes out.

Dixon.

Dec 28, 2010
The price is your concern? Is it too affordable?

You compare it to the Nookcolor? That has a fantastic screen, but it doesn`t have HDMI output, camera, microphone and probably has a tiny sounding mono speaker... that is not a better deal for me.

Just saw some user reviews on Amazon.com and Amazon.de; lots of (very) positive notes, no negative comments about the screen (sensitivity or picture quality) so far!

I`m getting more and more positive about the ZiiO. In Europe the ZiiO 7 is 249 Euro, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is 749 Euro, Nookcolor not for sale...

just got my ziio..

i would say it's good enough for its price.

only bad point is, no multitouch and that the screen is prone to scratches.
video play back, forwarding etc is perfect..

contented with mine.

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
Will get it as soon as Android 2.2 upgrade is available.

Can you write data to the SD card without using the ZiiO? Or do you have to use the ZiiO as SD card writer in order to make it recognize the files? Just checking...

Are the fixed buttons (home, return, magnify,...) at the bottom of the screen backlit? The pictures on the Creative website shows them glowing but I can find no video where they actually look backlit...

Dixon.

Dec 28, 2010
Will get it as soon as Android 2.2 upgrade is available.

Can you write data to the SD card without using the ZiiO? Or do you have to use the ZiiO as SD card writer in order to make it recognize the files? Just checking...

Are the fixed buttons (home, return, magnify,...) at the bottom of the screen backlit? The pictures on the Creative website shows them glowing but I can find no video where they actually look backlit...

about the sd card, i've no idea yet as i currently not using an sd card on my set.

fixed buttons are NOT LIT.

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
Backlit buttons would give a much more finished look, now it`s like they forgot something.

only bad point is, no multitouch and that the screen is prone to scratches.
video play back, forwarding etc is perfect..

So you do think the colors of videos and photos look fine?

I would like to see the device in a shop to judge its picture performance but so far I only found it offered in internetshops and on Creative site.

Dixon.

Dec 28, 2010
Backlit buttons would give a much more finished look, now it`s like they forgot something.

So you do think the colors of videos and photos look fine?

I would like to see the device in a shop to judge its picture performance but so far I only found it offered in internetshops and on Creative site.

Hi there,

to me they seem fine, but probably the quality if compared side to side with a galaxy tab and ipad.
my guess is that the ziio would appear inferior.

well, probably you can try searching more info online and judge by viewing images for now until you have a live demo set available.

bastvtas

Dec 27, 2010
So here are some links to video`s and photos of the ZiiO that are filmed with the correct (daylight) whitebalance settings. The colors seem to be just fine for a basic LCD screen.

Naturaly screens of more expensive devices such as Galaxy Tab etc. are giving bit better viewing angles and more saturated colors... but ZiiO gives very good value for money I think.

bit out of focus but good colorbalance...

photos:
PHOTOS: Creative ZiiO 7 and ZiiO 10 hands-on - Pocket-lint

Also played around on a ZiiO at Yodobashi Camera shop in Tokyo... didn`t buy it yet as I`m waiting for Froyo update but it already was reacting fast and making use of the onscreen keyboard was just as easy as on any capacitive screen, didn`t miss a single hit!

Last edited by a moderator: