Considering either the Vizio tablet or the Archos 80 G9 and seeking advice.

heron61

Feb 5, 2011
I want an 8" android tablet. I'll use it primarily for reading ebooks, reading large full color graphics heavy PDFs, surfing the web, playing music, watching videos, and connecting it to my TV to watch videos. I'm considering either the Vizio Tablet or the Archos 80 G9. Has anyone here had experience with both? I'm most interested in several questions:

How do the screens compare (brightness, viewing angles, overall quality)?
How does the build quality compare?
How does the battery life compare?

Which tablet would you recommend?

Also, is it true that on the Vizio tablet, apps won't access videos, music, or PDFs stored on the SD card? If that's true, it's useless to me, since the internal card is too small.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
How does the battery life compare?

Also, is it true that on the Vizio tablet, apps won't access videos, music, or PDFs stored on the SD card? If that's true, it's useless to me, since the internal card is too small.

The above is incorrect. Apps can access everything on the external sd card.

I get a battery life of > 7 hours continously usage with wifi on, Internet surfing, email, some video and audio, brightness 50%.

Copp

Nov 2, 2010
Oh, they fixed the external card problem? That was what later me to take mine back. That and tech support that did not know what "file browsing" meant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Also, is it true that on the Vizio tablet, apps won't access videos, music, or PDFs stored on the SD card?

The above is incorrect. Apps can access everything on the external sd card.

Oh, they fixed the external card problem?
The "SD card problem" is with apps that only know how to access things in "/sdcard". The VTAB currently mounts the true sdcard as "/sdcard/external". Apps that allow one to choose/configure the path to data storage will have no problem with that. Apps that are limited to finding things only in "/sdcard" will.

In summary: The "SD card problem" is really a problem of poorly-designed apps.

I decided to keep my VTAB, after coming real close >< to taking it back. But I have to admit I'm not certain I made the right decision. It's handy. Sometimes. Not as handy as I'd hoped it would be, and it initially looked like it'd be. The problem isn't entirely with the VTAB, but more one of the entire Android environment/community/universe/what-have-you strikes me as disturbingly like the Microsoft one I've avoided.

Jim