Considering Investing in the "Archos 7"

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
Hello, Android Tablet Forum... I am considering buying the "Archos 7" from Office Depot for about $150 and I want to know what all of you think about it so please share opinions or concerns. :)

A Little Background Knowledge

- I know quite a bit about the Android OS since I have had a Motorola DROID and now I have a Motorola DROID X, so I've been dealing with Android software for well over a year now.

- I want a tablet for personal notetaking, media (i.e. Photos and Videos), and games. I have a few good apps on my DROID X for these but I'd like them on the bigger screen and this tablet seems pretty good as I was playing with it in Office Depot. I also want a tablet for internet and for reading e-books.

A Few Questions

1. How responsive is the touch screen of the Archos 7?
2. Is it decently fast? Like, does it run as fast or faster than most Android smartphones.
3. Is it worth $150? It seems like a good investment at it's low price, as most other tablets I've seen easily double that price.
4. If possible, I'd like to also know about the battery life; How long can it hold up to normal use (i.e. Internet, games, videos, photo slideshows... etc)?
5. I've heard of some Android tablets not having the "Market" app installed and I'm worried if this does, or not? If no, is there a way to work around this and get all of the same apps as my DROID X? Can I get a 'home replacement' for this (i.e. Launcher Pro, GO Launcher... etc)?
6. Can this tablet connect to the internet over wifi?
7. Does it have a rear-facing camera?

Any other concerns or things you can let me know would be greatly appreciated. I've never owned a tablet PC before and I'm looking to make this my first. Thank you. :D

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I do not think the Archos 7 you are looking at is actually an Android tablet.

If it is the Archos 7 Home Tablet version 1, it is not a good device.
If it is the v2, it is much improved and worth something at $150.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
As Xauieous stated, Look carefully. V1 has Android 1.5 while V2 has Android 2.1. I have seen this as well recently. They are dumping the V1 Archos 7HT for very low price as they wait for delivery of the V2.