Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Theres a few of us that are working on finding the source of the problem. BTW the cmp738A had the same problems when rooted as the Cmp738B. The cmp738A was much worse. We have not found any hardware config errors in the files yet. But we are still trying to find and help solve the problem. Iv tried to crash mine but it wont crash. But im trying. Unless people want us to give up not try to help find the source.

There is no bad idea when your trying to fix a problem.

I hope you don't think I was complaining. I was just clarifying my response to someone else -- not crabbing at your suggestion.

To call you awesome would be an understatement. If you find a fix, also post your PayPal payment address. And yes, I'm serious. :)

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
I think other people have already tried this, but yesterday I tried uninstalling WiFi, multiple force killings after that and reinstalling WiFi (WiFiQuickenable.apk). No issues or errors with uninstall or reinstall. No change. I have been, however, reinstalling the apk file from the unit itself (not from the SD card) -- so in all liklihood, I'm reinstalling the wonky file.

nawafpower

Nov 30, 2011
Don't know if this will help or not but I'll throw it out for others to try.

A buddy of mine has a CMP738B that he rooted and lost WIFI, I was trying to help him out today and we found that it would not connect with wpa however we did have success switching to wep. It's less secure but it's allows him to connect. Can someone else try it and see if it works for them?

I'm wondering, if the wifi has error, how can you change the setting? Whether choosing WEP or WPA? if this is possible can anyone tell me how?
Thanks.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
I located the wifi hardware and now im trying to find a driver for it. So if we can find the driver for Android and reinstall it it should fix the problem. Google RT2870STA android driver. The wifi hardware it looks like they used the inside of a USB wifi stick and removed the USB fitting and used a 4pin molex connecter.

Last edited:

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
The bad thing is the rt2870sta.bin i havent been able to find my tablet and the Ralinktech web site down. I dont know if they belly up or what. So im still digging around. :) i hope has a great New Years weekend :)

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
The bad thing is the rt2870sta.bin i havent been able to find my tablet and the Ralinktech web site down. I dont know if they belly up or what.

Looks like the last sign of life from them was in July. I was able to pull up some of their pages including site map via the Internet Archive (Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine) if that helps. I didn't see any downloads or anything like that (just general company info), but what do I know.

You're WAY ahead of me when it comes to Android knowledge, but is this anything of any use? Ralink RT2870 - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Last edited:

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
I'm wondering, if the wifi has error, how can you change the setting? Whether choosing WEP or WPA? if this is possible can anyone tell me how?
Thanks.

Best way to test would be shut down your router or bring the tablet to a place that has NO wifi signals at all. Then if your wifi powers up.....

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Different "fixes/apps" tried tonight (none of them did anything to get WiFi out of ERROR land):

New WiFiQuickenable from Android Power tools
WiFi Fix
Fix My WiFi

One thing I forgot to mention -- the absolute most CRUEL thing (well in this situation - lol) -- WiFi fixer puts an icon that looks EXACTLY like the regular WiFi icon in the TASKbar. I thought I'd fixed it.

Last edited:

Marcm15

Sep 5, 2011
I used this process to root the 3 tablets I bought for my kids and it worked flawlessly! It improved the performance of the touch screen and wifi works without any issues. The only thing I can't get to work is an version of Flash? Does anyone have a working link for Flash that will run on 2.2????

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
I used this process to root the 3 tablets I bought for my kids and it worked flawlessly! It improved the performance of the touch screen and wifi works without any issues. The only thing I can't get to work is an version of Flash? Does anyone have a working link for Flash that will run on 2.2????

Youll have to use a browser with flash in it. Flash 10+ plugin wont work. Theres a thread about flash and you can download the apk of the browser.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
I tried this a few days ago and it wouldn't let me uninstall the app. I kept getting a generic "installation unsuccessful" message.

Same here.

Sent from my Craig CMP738B Rooted with working Android Market and Android Tablet Forum