Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
[UPDATE 01-02-2012] ADDED ROOTED ROM FOR REALTEK WIFI HARDWARE. THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON 1 TABLET WITH REALTEK WIFI HARDWARE. IF YOU HAVE ROOTED YOUR CMP738B AND GETTING A WIFI ERROR PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE REALTEK ROOT ROM. CRAIG IS USING 2 DIFFERENT WIFI HARDWARE IN THE SAME MODEL. IF YOUR HAVENT ROOTED YET THEN PLEASE READ THE THREAD LINK ( PLEASE READ BEFORE FLASHING ROMS ) IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO FIND OUT WHICH WIFI YOU HAVE IN YOUR TABLET.

[CHECK HERE] FOR ROOTED ROM FOR REALTEK WIFI HARDWARE ONLY!!! CMP738B

FOR RALINK TECH WIFI HARDWARE ONLY - PLEASE READ ALL POSTS ON THIS THREAD BEFORE ROOTING YOUR TABLET - INSTALLED ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Click HERE - Please read before flashing roms!!!!!!

Works with RaLinkTech Wifi Hardware Only. If you have RealTeK Wifi hardware this will crash your wifi.
IF YOU HAVE A REALTEK WIFI HARDWARE PLEASE SEND ME A CLEAN DUMP FILE SO WE HELP OTHERS. Thank you.

1. Just download this file on your computer: CraigCMP738BFlushs.img Flush's 2.2.1 rom with CMP738B Files. Rooted working market. (link in a note above).
2. Rename the file on the computer to "update.img"
3. Copy this file to a mini SD card. Helps if it's a clean SD card with only the update.img file on it.
4. With the Craig off, insert the card and turn on the Craig.
5. The Craig will see the upgrade during the boot and then ask you several questions. I either said yes or accept to the questions.
6. I then went and completed the upgrade. No button pushing!
7. It will reboot with the new root and market. All should be good.

CraigCMP738BOrigRom.img
Original CMP738B rom dumped from Tablet.

CraigCMP738BFlushs.img Flush's 2.2.1 rom with CMP738B Files. Rooted working market. ( I used this IMG file and after installing i clicked Zeam)

CMP738brootedROM.img Shad's 2.1 Rooted rom for CMP738A with 738B files. Also working Market. This is for 738B also.

**NOTES** You may have to remove your SD card and put it back in if the tablet doesn't pick up the update.img. This will also remove all data on your tablet.

Update at your own risk. By doing this it may brick your tablet.

Please Thank DJ_ , Vdubbus77 For there help on finding and helping people this Root and clean dump for CMP738B Tablet.

$CMP738B Root Install Market.JPG$CMP738B Root Install.JPG

Last edited:

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
I tried this and it did not work. My tablet completely ignored the upgrade. A few reboots later, there's clearly something wrong. got the 738b tablet.

There are two files to download initially. Which one becomes update.img? THe origrom.img or the 738bflush.img file or both?

Last edited:

FitintheA

Dec 14, 2011
Change CraigCMP738BFlushs.img to update.img and place it on the root directory of the SDcard. Boot up the tablet and go to Settings - SD Card & device storage settings - Unmount SD card - Mount SD card. When you remount the SD card the tablet will detect a firmware update and prompt you with the options to install or cancel. Choose install and the tablet will reboot and install the update. Hope this helps. Good luck!

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
Okay, i got the root to work (good news! yay!). The downside is I keep getting error messages with WIFI. I'll check out the longer thread as this issue sounds familiar. I rooted with the flushs.img

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
Worked like a charm with Flush's ROM. No wi-fi errors, but I did turn wifi OFF before inserting the SD card and starting the process. The tablet seems to run a bit smoother. Thanks!

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Its does make it run a bot better. Gives it that little extra boost. :)

nicabod

Dec 5, 2011
For some silly reason, I didn't scroll down after following m3red's procedure. When I restarted the Craig, I did see a temporary note saying something like "Preparing SD Card". However, nothing further happened, and I decided to play around with the device. Just to see what would happen (if anything), I told it to unmount the SD card, removed it, reinserted it, and told it to mount.

Only then did it "discover" the update. Was intriguing to watch! Many bright-yellow messages of the sort you see on a command line. (Love the screen!) Took maybe 5 minutes to do its thing. I was given the choice of the Launcher or Zeam, and chose Zeam. Still exploring, but the initial screen is different; a few key icons are along the right edge (landscape format).

This is ginger peachy! I'd all but given up hope. Wireless might not work; will see. Many thanks to all!

(Added later): Now, there's a superuser, but no command line. Also, can't look at contents of internal memory.
Nevertheless, glad I updated.

Last edited:

alanalain

Dec 16, 2011
PLease help :confused:

I did all what was said to root the Craig cmp 738b and now I have market as an Icon but NO Wifi. This tablet can't be of any use without wifi. Can you please help. ? THanks.
I wish who put the good post with the picture after flush.img update showing Marketplace would also tell us how he or anyone overcame the wifi issue. Thank you for any info.:)

Last edited:

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
I did not encounter the wifi issue at all myself, but before flashing I turned my wifi off, and also USB host mode was off. Was wifi turned on or off before you flashed your device?

Just4Fun

Dec 16, 2011
This looks like an "almost" working root kit.

Frankly, I've been fighting a good battle with these tablets for days. I bought three as Christmas gifts. They hit a low price point at a Black Friday special. My adventures with the Craigs indicate that the tablets are filled with problems. For starters, I can't get any of the tablets to recognize the ebooks that are installed on the SD micro cards. I decided to use the root mentioned in this thread on one of the tablets. I was hoping that it would solve some of the various software glitches that I've encountered. My primary hope was that the SD micro card would finally be recognized normally and register the ebooks.

To make a long story short, the root was performed easily. Everything looked like it was going to work. It didn't. Like a number of other people here, I lost the wifi signal. The setup software included on the tablet was crippled. As a few others have done, I reinstalled the original rom. That rom took the unit back to its original state--minus the wifi.

Thankfully this was a recent purchase. I returned/exchanged it based on some comments in the forum that seemed to feel the destruction of the wifi was due to a fault on the mother board. HOWEVER, I would not recommend attempting this root fix until more work has been done to determine exactly what is going on. You may very well lose your wifi entirely. Is this a problem with the hardware or software? Sounds like a few people have not experienced the problem. Many others have experienced it. Personally, I'm not gambling on it again.

Just joined the forum to post my experience with the root kit as of today. Those that do decide to attempt this fix: Good Luck! I'd be interested in reading your feedback.

Has anyone else experienced the problems that I've described with reading the SD micro card?

TIA

Jhaea

Dec 11, 2011
Yep., I left my Wifi on before I uploaded the root--never even thought about shutting it off. So I wonder, is it having the Wifi on that corrupts the root and errors the Wifi? Would make sense, but do I want to risk it again to see? I've talked with a manager and they are going to let me return and replace, but I doubt they would let me do it a 4th time. Why am I sticking with it? Because I do believe that this little machine has potential, and it is the only thing of it's kind i can afford this xmas for my hubby who loves the idea of a tablet. I'll wait a bit and hopw to see that the pattern is as we suspect--those who shut off wifi retain it, and those who don't get an irreversible error.

rbinc

Dec 7, 2011
Yep. I rooted the first one and lost wifi. Figured it was a hardware fault and returned for another. Rooted it and lost wifi on that one as well. Returned it (both returned to original rom) for a refund. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see definitively if turning wifi off before flashing prevents this before I buy a third unit. I've got a nice Acer Iconia A500 in the meantime, just can't resist playing with (and roothacking) a hundred dollar tablet.

I would remind anyone that flashes these that they do so at their own risk. It's nobody's fault but yours if you have issues. New tablet and developers are taking stabs at what will eventually be a solid and reliable flash.

nicabod

Dec 5, 2011
Regarding SD card access, be prepared for considerable frustration. At least, you can unmount it and put it into a reader/writer* with a USB cable to your fixed-location machine. Perhaps it will be easier if you run Linux (Mint Linux recommended, btw! Versions 9-11 might be easier to work with than 12; not badly outdated.) *Kodak sells a really-lovely little one, the A271 72-in-one. (72? Every variation of every type)

Regarding SD card access, be prepared for considerable frustration. At least, you can unmount it and put it into a reader/writer* with a USB cable to your fixed-location machine. Perhaps it will be easier if you run Linux (Mint Linux recommended, btw! Versions 9-11 might be easier to work with than 12; not badly outdated.) *Kodak sells a really-lovely little one, the A271 72-in-one. (72? Every variation of every type)

[I just read some of the messages above, and, Lordy, do I ever agree. Now that I've gone through repetitive misery, it's a rather-nice little slab! I expected in advance that Craig was a low-price brand that iirc has sold a lot of lousy products, but the price ($88 at Rite Aid, plus Mass. sales tax) was too good to resist. I returned only one (briefly, disabled by fumbling when I entered the unlock pattern).]

In particular, the "eternal 'Scanning' " stall seems to happen at least in part because the user has not defined a Network [Access Point?] in Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> WiFi Settings -> Add Wi-Fi Network. You need to help Wi-Fi set up a connection, it seems; I don't know whether it can auto-configure itself. Best guess: Only to some extent. Think about that a bit -- "user has not defined a Network". How in Lord's own Heaven (no offense meant!) could a non-technical person ever find out in a reasonable time that 1) doing that is apparently essential, and 2) how to do it? (At least, 2) has an answer, if they succeed in finding threads like these.)

[Btw, Google is severely censoring [android tablet FAQ]; compare with Bing to see an amazing difference.]

My wireless is Verizon FiOS, via an Actiontec router configured for Verizon (call them "Vzn"). Vzn has a very well-designed* secure HTML (XHTML?) subdirectory of pages for the router and networking, and (iirc a few of -- at least one of) its pages deal specifically with wireless configuration. *lots of intelligent advice there

About as I had expected, there are lots of options. Seems that the USA has 11 channels for Wi-Fi, but the frequency bands of each channel overlap quite a bit. I had no luck specifying "Automatic" for the channel number. For reasons unknown to me, when I tried to select any of the 11 channel numbers other than 6 or 11, I got a warning message from the Vzn router firmware that the channel I'd specified would probably not work well.

It seems that two things had to be right to succeed in making a connection: 1) Correct channel selection, and 2) configuring the network connection properly. Apparently, the 738b (with Flushs (?) firmware, partly rooted) doesn't work with WPA or WPA2 (more secure than WEP) but, it will work with 128-bit WEP. Hardly surprising that part of the config. in "Add Wi-Fi Network" is the key for WEP; you have to provide it. I don't think Vzn's firmware will even permit an unsecured connection; not sure. Having a totally-open connection seems, well, really unwise, shall we say? (Reminds me of the statement by some expert who said that an unprotected Windows machine (this was XP era) might become "owned" in as little as 10 or 15 /seconds/ after being connected to the Internet for the first time.

What I ended up with was my own SSID [name], Chan. 11, WEP 128-bit and its key, SSID broadcast disabled (a good idea; Vzn explained why), MAC auth. disabled (might be fun to try, though), and mode = 802.11g only. That last prevents 802.11b from degrading [g].

[Following was revised about 1715 Eastern time, Sat. 17 Dec.]
Along the way, I discovered where to find the 738b's MAC address (this is not the stock firmware, btw; it's Flushs (?). Go to Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> Wi-Fi settings (You should see "Wi-Fi" and "Network notification"). In the upper-right corner is a peculiar striped icon (not in a stock machine?) that shows context-dependent menus at the bottom of the screen. Here, it gives you Scan, and Advanced. The latter gives you Regulatory domain and your MAC address. You can also find it in
(Apps icons?) -> Security Guard -> Product Information -> Network information -> wlan, but only when connected. Security Guard is a "3-D" Android, with a blue X in front. That's an interesting place to explore.
[End revision]

(Btw, A MAC address has no particular connection with Apple computers. It's an acronym for Media Access Control; see Wikipedia for more about it.

While establishing a connection, Wi-Fi apparently uses DHCP to find a numeric IP to connect to. IIrc, the router is simply the generic 192.168.1.3. I think that's what this instance of DHCP finds.

If you don't know already, in the Wi-Fi configuration menu, the small-size subtext areas below the key words display very useful/helpful messages. Thees are not fixed-text areas! By all means watch them when you're getting a connection going.

HTH, and good luck!
[nb]

Last edited:

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Yep. I rooted the first one and lost wifi. Figured it was a hardware fault and returned for another. Rooted it and lost wifi on that one as well. Returned it (both returned to original rom) for a refund. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see definitively if turning wifi off before flashing prevents this before I buy a third unit. I've got a nice Acer Iconia A500 in the meantime, just can't resist playing with (and roothacking) a hundred dollar tablet.

Same thing here. And resetting back to factory specs does nothing to fix it (which, in my opinion, is odd, since, if it's a software issue, fixing or restoring the software would fix the problem).

The first Craig I bought I had to return because the power cord included didn't fit the hole on the tablet itself. The second one worked power-cord-wise, but I was taken aback at how blurry the screen is and how dark it is even on the highest brightness setting (and odd that it's already set to "full brightness" by default).

After rooting, the resolution seems clearer and (maybe my imagination) a bit brighter, but now I've lost WiFi (errors and no way to run a fix).

I've only had this one less than 24 hours (the first one I bought was just last night).

I guess, since I'm still well-within the time frame to return it, I'll wait awhile to see if anyone comes up with a WiFi fix, if not, I guess it's off to Kindle-land for me.