Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Well, the WiFi worked all this time (with the new root) and a few days ago it would go into ERROR mode and I'd have to turn it back on again. It's now permanently stuck in ERROR mode again. I'll probably just re-root (if it's not a hardware issue this time). Just posting as FYI for anyone who encounters the same thing!

Curiousnoob

Dec 25, 2011
It's dead, Jim.

I give up *waves white flag.*

I returned the tablet to CVS today while I still could.

Thank you so much everyone who helped me on this. Yeah, the tablet didn't make it, but I learned a lot.

:)
I returned mine while I had the chance to(The day after Christmas.....). I just operate on my sister's, as she really doesn't play with it much. This Tablet makes me angry sometimes. I use what I learn from the Optimus V, and other phones. :p

leprechaun

Jan 18, 2012
Ok, so has anyone figured out a proper root for the 738B that was built in September 2011, I have rooted a few phones, but this thing is confusing the living daylights outta me.. this thing is straight outta the box tried to install a few games to hear the words free up some space, now I know this thing isnt gonna be some great big success but just wondering if there is a proper easy way to root this device with said information, have been reading this post for some time now today and cant believe the amount of support some of you offer, I think mine woulda met sledge hammer after the first wifi error... So if after 23 pages of reading i may have missed the actual right file for this thing I am sorry but if yall shoot me in the right direction It will be greatly Appreciated

jrfich

Dec 31, 2011
Ok, so has anyone figured out a proper root for the 738B that was built in September 2011, I have rooted a few phones, but this thing is confusing the living daylights outta me.. this thing is straight outta the box tried to install a few games to hear the words free up some space, now I know this thing isnt gonna be some great big success but just wondering if there is a proper easy way to root this device with said information, have been reading this post for some time now today and cant believe the amount of support some of you offer, I think mine woulda met sledge hammer after the first wifi error... So if after 23 pages of reading i may have missed the actual right file for this thing I am sorry but if yall shoot me in the right direction It will be greatly Appreciated

go to 1st post (page 1) and there are 2 separate links to root tablet depending on which type of wifi chip you have .

Hammerfest

Jan 7, 2012
go to 1st post (page 1) and there are 2 separate links to root tablet depending on which type of wifi chip you have .
hes asking for the same thing im looking for, which is the Sep 2011 build with root... the one in the first post and linked anywhere here on the forum is from March 2011 if i recall correctly...

needless to say, it doesnt currently exist... hense why im back to using stock until someone comes out with an update to the Sep 2011 build rom... or ICS... or a CM (not gonna happen) variant... basically its a desk clock plugged in looking snazy... alot to pay for a clock

Hammerfest

Jan 7, 2012
if you Read this thread it will tell you how to tell if you have ralink or realtk wifi hardware. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/craig-tablets/30440-please-read-before-flashing-roms.html

I think anyone who read the OP already knows that :D

Me and Lep and maybe others are talking BUILD DATE, not HARDWARE*, there are so far 2 "builds" for the cmp738b revision, one with a build date of March 2011, which is what all the ROM's here are based off of (and CMP738A as a base as well), and the newer September 2011 build date... of which, there currently isnt a rooted rom... the ones in your first post are either based off of CMP738A or CMP738B_r1 (r1 meaning March 2011 build, and r2 would be September 2011 build)...

lol, then again, I could be talking out my ass and you where talking to someone else, either way, incase you didnt understand us :p

*While as far as I can tell, those with a CMP738B which has the September 2011 date on the back of the unit, probably exclusively have the realtek WiFi, the ROM's avliable for download are from that of the March 2011 build date, and only just have the Realtek drivers thrown in... or at least as far as I can tell by comparing files in the ROM's and info found in Settings>About and file comparison

Last edited:

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
I have seen no evidence supporting build date having anything to do with what wifi was used. I know that there are users that have the same build date and different wifi. Maybe meep can verify his build date but I am pretty sure his is newer. He already dumped the rom and it has been rooted.

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

meepinator

Jan 1, 2012
I'm actually not sure about how to check for this build date, but my hardware date is Aug 2011, so odds are pretty high that it's not September.

sum_d00d

Jan 2, 2012
m3red, thanks for your hard work!
I was really iffy coming into this, I had never flashed a rom before now but you and everyone else here made it easier.
I read each and everyone post in this thread before I took any action.
Following directions I managed to get though it with ease.
I have been having fun with my new tablet. Tracking on it isn't the best & can be frustrating at times. But hey, it was a christmas gift so who am I to complain?

I have had only one issue with this rom. In Security Guard when I try to run a malware scan or try to prevent apps from auto-staring I get the error "The application security guard (pocess com.rockchip) has stopped unexpectedly". Should I try to reset the tablet back to the factory rom and then reinstall? Or can I just try to reinstall your rom?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.