Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

GadgetKen

May 5, 2012
Just rooted my CVS Craig tablet with the directions at the start of the thread. Now I can finally install stuff direct from Android Market! Thanks!

The tablet cost me a grand total of $58.71 back in October ($1.50 extra bucks coupon, 20% off coupon, $25 gift card from MyPoints).

Hammerfest

Jan 7, 2012
Can someone tell me what apk or setting coincides with the Home button? I seem to have disabled/frozen/uninstalled something that has caused the Home button (both physical and on-screen) to stop functioning :(

Thanks!

EDIT:

Ok, so far, I found out its not an app, its cache for one of the app's... Ill let people know (there are others with the issue), when I find out which app cache it is that causes Home button death!

Last edited:

BernardM

Jun 12, 2012
PLease help :confused:

I did all what was said to root the Craig cmp 738b and now I have market as an Icon but NO Wifi. This tablet can't be of any use without wifi. Can you please help. ? THanks.
I wish who put the good post with the picture after flush.img update showing Marketplace would also tell us how he or anyone overcame the wifi issue. Thank you for any info.:)

Follow the youtube video. It worked for me for the same unit.. Just use the correct ROM image. Tried it three times before it finally worked. The first and second image could have been for other Model with RALink Tech not Realtek wireless...

Visit also this link...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...orking-android-market-clean-rom-img-file.html

Last edited by a moderator:

mcrenik

Oct 9, 2012
I have a craig 738b tablet and used this procedure to update it. Everything appears to be working except USB connection to PC. When I connect the USB cable to my Win 7 PC, I see the android phone listed under devices but the drives (H and I for me) are grayed out and I can not access any files from the tablet on my PC. This worked before I updated my tablet.

$Tablet Files.jpg

Do I need to do something to make USB HOST to PC connection work again?

Last edited:

bluzrobin

Dec 19, 2012
Will it reboot by itself or not. I am waiting at the recovery screen and reboot system now it highlighted, at the bottom it has recovery system v1.3.28
UPDATE
fiding and checking firmware
can not be upgraded when bootloader's major version is different
please use PC tools for upgrade

please help, thanks

Last edited:

Mindphaser

Dec 29, 2012
Awesome thanks for the ROM! My 738B is running much faster and now I'm able to use the Android Market and apps that require root. Didn't have microSD card but used the 738A YouTube guide and replaced with the correct ROM.

Now I just got to overclock this thing.

Mindphaser

Dec 29, 2012
Yeah definitely had WiFi turned off when I updated. I also followed the terminal guide in the other thread to identify which WiFi I had so I was using the correct ROM.

How do I go about uninstalling software that came preinstalled like security and such?

wankanobe

Apr 29, 2014
Old thread: New post.
Resurrected....
Got three corrupt tabs to flash back to stock. Two were Craig CMP738b and one Sylvania. All went well. I got to keep one for the work. I kept a Craig.
I go about tinkerin', flashin' and rootin' for a couple days on my *new* tab (can't help it).
After multiple attempts with several img files and experiencing various issues and the dreaded WiFi error; my sluggish CMP738b is now a rooted Craig CMP738a. Everything works great and the system is much more attractive and responsive.
Thanks for all this, people (and 'droids).
FIGHT THE POWER!
\one

wankanobe

Apr 29, 2014
I used Clean Master Free. Works but runs at boot and I absolutely HATE antimalware programs (I think the companies that put out these programs create the malware = LoL!).
Gyess I will uninstall IT when I'm done tweakin'....

befreetech

May 7, 2014
PLease help :confused:

I did all what was said to root the Craig cmp 738b and now I have market as an Icon but NO Wifi. This tablet can't be of any use without wifi. Can you please help. ? THanks.
I wish who put the good post with the picture after flush.img update showing Marketplace would also tell us how he or anyone overcame the wifi issue. Thank you for any info.:)

That's absolutely correct. I have determined with certainty that Craig has installed 2 different WiFi units in these CMP738b model tables. The Realtek WiFi requires a unique ROM relative to that supplied by Craig on their website so if you use the ROM they offer you will kill your WiFi.

I have done an RK Tools dump of the files needed from a working Realtek based CMP738b unit you can use to fix your computer if you killed your wifi with the newer / other ROM they supply - or if you used one of the ROMS in this article and it killed your WiFi.

To write over the erroneous code use the program contained in this download named "Finless Rom Flash Tool v 1.37" Note that only some of the rom components are to be uploaded. They are as follows: parameter.txt, misc.img, kernel.img, boot.img, recovery.img, and system.img, and backup.img.

I am not sure at this point if you need all of these but I just successfully fixed a cmp738b tablet with all of those dumped files I just created, so until I know more, I recommend that you install them all.

I used RK tools to create the clone of those components using the instructions contained in the zip below. The files I created from my working Realtek based cmp738b - that you need for fixing your unit are contained within the "output" directory.

The program plus a the working Realtek Wifi based CMP-738b files are are in this zip file: Click Here.

If you get stuck using this procedure - contact me for assistance and fix your tablet's wifi remotely for a flat $10 payable via paypal, only charged if we are successful. I can also unlock your password locked Craig cmp738 or Craig clp-281 unit if you have one of those.