Cruz Tablet Reader

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
I'm new with Android, and would appreciate any and all guidance suggestions, etc.

Apparently, as of November 7, 2010, the new (Velocity) Cruz Tablet does not have an installed reader (other than OfficeSuite). Neither Borders nor Velocity have the Tablet epub reader available, either. I also learned that Android apps are very device specific, so attempting to download downloading all the various eReaders results in a "You do not have permission ot open this page...." or upon installing, an " ! Application not installed" message.

By trial and error, I was able to find Moon+ Reader which will install, and read at least some non-protected books. I found it here:

Moon+ Reader - Android

The Borders app has a provision for downloading some rather expensive books (and no free ones as of this date). I don't know how those may work until the official Border/Cruz Tablet reader comes out.

I'll post more on specific apps and on which apps I have found to work without some degree of hacking.

(On the topic of hacking, the Cruz Tablet has a "debug" mode which I shall explore, and from the same menu -- a pull-down from the top of the screen -- you have to mount the SD card in order to access it from you computer. Mounting disconnects it from the Tablet. I have loaded several apps and files across the USB link, rather than popping the SD card in and out of Tablet, computer, and/or other SD card reader.)

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
on velocity micros web site are the full instructions for this machine.. it talks about getting epub from the cruz market. on the tablet, go to cnet android down load and down load slide me..its like the google market place...from either of these you can get nook and alkido book readers..

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks. I'll check those while I'm waiting for Velocity and Borders to get up to speed.

In the meanwhile I found the Moon + reader which installs and works well. It scrolls down to move forward. The table of contents works well for those books which have it.
It reads epub files and reportedly others.

I also just found the Kindle Reader and was able to download my archives from my Kindle.
Download Kindle for Android at Freeware Lovers It works like a kindle with page forward, page back, search, and highlighting notes. It reads .azw files, and I presume .prc and .pdf. I haven't sent any of those files to the app, nor have I yet found where the Kindle files are stored. All in due time.

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
Laputa is a nice one, I have it on my Cruz Reader, but first came across it for my Moto-Droid phone. The Laputa version for the Reader is way older than for the phone and doesn't have the same links to download databases for books, but I was able to pull them off my phone and install them on the reader.

klaatu00001

Dec 31, 2010
You can also download FBREADER via the Cruz Market app that's onboard the tablet.

You can change settings to page forward/back by swiping horizontally vs. vertically too.

geekgirl70

Dec 28, 2010
My favorite reader on the Tablet so far, is the Alkido reader. You can easily add new titles to it, by dropping the files into the appropriate folder on the SDcard, then choosing 'import' from the reader menu. I believe it reads ePub format, but you can convert anything else TO that format (including html and pdf files) using the Calibre application from your computer. The only thing I've had an issue with on the Alkido reader, is that font adjustment doesn't seem to work. Otherwise, it's a sweet, responsive reader.

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
My favorite reader on the Tablet so far, is the Alkido reader. You can easily add new titles to it, by dropping the files into the appropriate folder on the SDcard, then choosing 'import' from the reader menu. I believe it reads ePub format, but you can convert anything else TO that format (including html and pdf files) using the Calibre application from your computer. The only thing I've had an issue with on the Alkido reader, is that font adjustment doesn't seem to work. Otherwise, it's a sweet, responsive reader.

Calibre is GREAT!! I came across it when I got my Sony PRS-505 several years ago and really hated the Sony management software... Yes, Calibre will convert *but* will not convert DRM protected files... I was disappointed to not be able to convert my Sony ebooks that were not in epub.