CWM help, any devs wanna shine some light for me?

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
So, rookie dev in training. Thinking I took one heck of a project to start on as a rookie but heres my delema.

We are working on a port of CWM (clockwork recovery) for the superpad tablets to unleash their potentials. Eventially moving on up to other tablets on this site.
I found the first nook color CWM recovery to be most successful on the superpad tablets but the mount points are incorrect. so, i went on git hub and downloaded the source dump of the recovery and changed a few lines of code and few misc. changes to the boardconfig and fstab. My problem now is that i dont understand how to repackage it to an img. file?
I know i was suppose to do the repo sync for Cyanogen mod but I dont have a fast internet connection available to me for such a long download and install process.

Any help or advice or someone that can repackage it for me so I can start testing?

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
  1. Now for the fun stuff modifying a CM7 image to install onto and boot from sd card
  2. Change install:
    1. mkdir cm7
    2. cd cm7
    3. unzip <path to CM7 nightly zip>
    4. Edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
      1. Change mmcblk0p5 to mmcblk1p5 (in script twice)
      2. Change mmcblk0p6 to mmcblk1p6
    5. cd ..
  3. We&#8217;ve updated the install, now we need to update the boot (unpack, edit, and repack the ramdisk)
    1. mkdir rd
    2. dd if=cm7/ramdisk.img of=ramdisk.gz bs=64 skip=1
    3. gunzip ramdisk.gz
    4. cd rd
    5. sudo su
    6. cpio -H newc -ivd < ../ramdisk
    7. Edit init.encore.rc
      1. Change mmcblk0p5 to mmcblk1p5
      2. Change mmcblk0p6 to mmcblk1p6
      3. Change mmcblk0p7 to mmcblk1p7
    8. find . -regex &#8220;./.*&#8221; | cpio -ov -H newc | gzip ../repacked-ramdisk.cpio.gz
    9. exit root shell
    10. cd ..
    11. mkimage -A ARM -T RAMDisk -n Image -d repacked-ramdisk.cpio.gz cm7/ramdisk.img
  4. Repackage zip:
    1. cd cm7
    2. zip -r ../cm7-sd.zip *
  5. Mount partition 1 and copy cm7-sd.zip and gapps.zip over
  6. Boot into recovery rom (CWM)
Would this help at all? I got it from here

Also look at the second post here

Last edited:

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
A little help
Think i found an app thatl help me. Just need to recompile the recovery.img

Sent from my LG Ally/Velocity 1.1, Ra Recovery

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Yaffs2 format or meant for android

I was trying to use the yaffs2 app from the market and i got it to compile an img but now when i go to flash the img. I get an error saying ran out of space on partition. So now im trying to find a way to repartition the device. If u downgrade to 1653 firmware on superpad, and connect the tablet to your desktop via lan, you can use the android sdk on it since the feature is enabled on that firmware and bocked on 3245. So ive been playen alot and seeing if i can get anyware and if i do, this is goen to be a semi difficult process to explain in directions :/

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
How they use the cwm recovery on the nook color is by booting the recovery straight off of the sdcard? Because the nook color doesnt have a dedicated recovery partition. Wonder if we could do that? But i dont think we have anyone in this community of such knowledge.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Messing with the recovery cant cause a brick.
Anything externally that doesnt install cant. Why id love to get this recovery installed so bricking can come to a stop.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Well that took forevor... repo syced whole frigen android source available in my android build enviroment. Maybe i can find somthing in the source to get this recovery built the right way?

Il be playen with that today.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Well that took forevor... repo syced whole frigen android source available in my android build enviroment. Maybe i can find somthing in the source to get this recovery built the right way?

Il be playen with that today.

Try this here. It tells you where the recovery ISN'T

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
I found whats called an xrecovery. Kinda acts like a ghost drive, creates a recovery using just boot files from system bin and busybox. Trying to install that to the tablet. Its an app so i could very well recreate it from source for the superpad.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Yes and no

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Im actually bout to say heck with it and move onto the superpad2 where custom firmware developing is way easier.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Ah. Dang it. Lol well at least you tried.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!