CyanogenMode9 and AOKP for Onda vi40 Elite V3

GAZ_svk

May 23, 2012
Finally, we can also enjoy all the CM9 goodness for our Onda`s. Personally I`m running this ROM now and it`s a huge improvement on speed and response of the tablet. Mainly browser speed is finally close to how it should be. Only downside is slightly larger battery drain compared to other ROMs.

! Supported Model: Onda Vi40 V3 !
! Backup your files ! -> the wipe/factory reset will delete everything in your internal memory

Here you can find the original post on slatedroid : Discussions - CM9 and AOKP for Onda vi40 - SlateDroid.com

Nightlies post (with changelog): http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33373-rom-cm9-nightlies/

I`d like to warn you that I am not the author of the mod, have no connection to it and also hold no responsibility for any damage that might occur while installing/running this mod...

Also, I recommend reading the whole topic on slatedroid, either when you run into some problems, or just to learn something new.

Ze Guide:

You need to download these files (I state the most recent files available when writing this guide):

CWM files, CWM.zip
here: http://www.mediafire.com/?iu97mvefb6vfvdl

ROM file, cm9_nightly_20120721.zip
here: Directory listing for www.androidfilehost.com/main/Allwinner_A10_Developers/christiantroy/roms/

Compatibility file, vi40_compatibility_1.2.0.zip
here: Directory listing for www.androidfilehost.com/main/Allwinner_A10_Developers/christiantroy/misc/1.2.x/

Gapps file, gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
here: http://www.uloz.to/xdyYrU1/gapps-ics-20120429-signed-zip

! According to the last info, the file kernel_test4onda.zip is not needed anymore, but in my case the touchscreen didn`t work until I installed it (only needed that one time, not later when installing newer CM9). So if you install and boot the ROM, but your screen doesn`t respond, flash your tablet back with LiveSuit with any of other custom ROMs, Vanilla, TNT or other, and repeat the install process, but also install the kernel_test4onda.zip, it might work for you too (install it after Gapps and before Compatibility) !

You can find the kernel_test4onda.zip in this zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?c042jd8hs88uds2

1. Installing the ClockWorkMode

1.1 Unzip the CWM.zip file you downloaded.
1.2 Copy 3 files (install-recovery.sh, reboot-recovery.sh, recovery.img) to the root of your /sdcard directory (use for example root explorer app)
You can also copy the CM9 files there: ROM, Gapps and Compatibility (zips)
1.3 Install Superuser.apk from the zip file. Open the app, go to preferences, update the binaries.
1.4 Install "Android.-.Better.Terminal.Pro.v3.05.apk" from zip file
1.5 Run the BetterTerminal app, enter these lines into it (press Enter after each line) :

$ su
#sh /sdcard/install-recovery.sh
#sh /sdcard/reboot-recovery.sh

1.6 Once you type this, the tablet will boot into recovery, use the HW buttons to move up/down/back and power button as OK.

2. Installing CM9

2.1 if you copied the CM9 files in step 1.2 skip this, if not, copy the ROM, Gapps and Compatibility zips into root of your /sdcard directory
2.2 In CWM recovery select wipe data/factory reset
-> (if you already have CM9 and you are only installing newer nightly zip, you don`t need to do the whole wipe, just wipe cache and dalvik cache)
2.3 Select install zip from SD card
2.4 Select install zip from internal SD card
2.5 install the zips in this order (important):
cm9_nightly_20120721.zip
gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
vi40_compatibility_1.2.0.zip
2.6 Back to main menu of CWM and select reboot

Enjoy CM9!

If you want me to explain any part of the process more, or have any problems during installation, just ask...

Last edited:

rob01792

May 19, 2012
hope u get enough intrest to do ur write up including files as ive been wanting to install this for a while now but have read through slatedroid threads i find i get more confused with being a newbie to all this i dont even know how to put cwm recovery on yet. the only rom ive installed is mikes 1.1.1c and i followed tnt instrution down to the letter
looking forward

GAZ_svk

May 23, 2012
hope u get enough intrest to do ur write up including files as ive been wanting to install this for a while now but have read through slatedroid threads i find i get more confused with being a newbie to all this i dont even know how to put cwm recovery on yet. the only rom ive installed is mikes 1.1.1c and i followed tnt instrution down to the letter
looking forward

Updated the post with the files and simple guide, as I write in the end, if you need to explain something more or run into any problems, feel free to ask.

skeleton

Jul 26, 2012
hi, your instructions are very helpful. i need to plug in external usb gps. i've seen someplace that this rom supports it. is this correct?:confused:
thanks

GAZ_svk

May 23, 2012
hi, your instructions are very helpful. i need to plug in external usb gps. i've seen someplace that this rom supports it. is this correct?:confused:
thanks

yes, i have seen someone writing that they are using it ok, but i can`t tell you for sure, i`m not using one. also, i think it depends on the gps brand. but yes, it is supposed to work. maybe you can head to slatedroid and check the cm9 and onda discussions there, there are more people and more suggestions. and i think i have seen the post with the gps somewhere there, i guess in the cm9 forum i link in the 1st post

madeinlisboa

Jul 28, 2012
I'm having great results. Nice work!
The issues i found are: the volume icons are no longer present in the status bar. i have to go to the settings panel to change the volume. When I choose Airplane mode, the wi-fi is still shown as ON.
And finally, is there a way of disabling the cyanogen animation while the tablet is booting or replacing it with something less processor intensive?

Again, nice work.

GAZ_svk

May 23, 2012
I'm having great results. Nice work!
The issues i found are: the volume icons are no longer present in the status bar. i have to go to the settings panel to change the volume. When I choose Airplane mode, the wi-fi is still shown as ON.
And finally, is there a way of disabling the cyanogen animation while the tablet is booting or replacing it with something less processor intensive?

Again, nice work.

Yes, the volume buttons can only be worked around with the app Eallwealdend mentioned so far i think, but that solves it nicely i think. I don`t use the airplane mode, but i`ll try to have a look when i will have some time. until then maybe you can try to google it, i bet there is someone who encountered the problem if it`s related to the cm9. and finally, yes, i think there is, at least with other roms you could replace the boot screen, i am not so sure here, but if it bothers you, it`s worth a try. again, maybe i`ll look into it, but i`m not a dev, so i might not find it, maybe you can write to this guy: http://www.slatedroid.com/user/58593-roman2025/ , he changed the boot animation in his custom rom

madeinlisboa

Jul 28, 2012
Thank you both. One more thing, this ROM comes with a performance setting, which allow us to change the cpu governor and the minimum and maximum frequency. I have SetCPU installed. Do you think this app is now redundant and can be uninstalled?

madeinlisboa

Jul 28, 2012
One more thing, please. Can i boot into recovery using titanium backup option or must i use the terminal as indicated? Thanks

fahadshafiq

Aug 27, 2012
solved the flash issue but whatsapp issue remains, also HDMI issue as well as i cant transfer voice from tablet to LCD
reverted back to old ROM. waiting for a better release version

Last edited:

RugbyAl

Sep 12, 2012
Help!
Got to stage 2.5 (installing CM9) and accidently pressed the power button. Onda now loads with CM9, but no Onda compatibility (no touch screen). I have tried to re-flash with LiveSuit, but I can't get the USB driver to be accepted by Windows 7 or XP - says driver not compatible with device on XP, goes on about checking that driver is 64 bit in W7.
So, I have a CM9 brick. I have searched for alternative USB drivers, but can't find anything...