Desparate for MID with USB Modem (3G) to use where NO WIFI

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Please can anyone suggest a 3G MIDs and USB Modems. I have been looking for a CHEAP ( < $130) MID just for Email, Ebooks and must connect to the WEB by Modem, as I will be travelling to places where NO WIFI. PLE...ASE mention the MID model name, where to buy and WHICH MODEM to use? I will be very grateful. Thanks.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
As a curiousity and getting home early I looked at my /etc to see if the device was USB modem ready. There was a file in prep for a USB file. I thought Great, there is hope.

As a reference I have a generic that mimics but is NOT an APad, it is the VIA 8505 and not the Rockchip. Android Donut 1.6 and 1.7.4 firmware Soooo onto the USB 3G modem.

I have a Qualcomm 3G N7 series provisioned by ATT I plugged it into my USB port and powered up. It both recognized the Storage module and seemed to recognize the device by the lighting sequence, Even Better.

I attempt to connect with Wireless turned down and the 3G lights indicating connectivity.
Default Browser -Fail
Opera - Fail
Bad Sign
I pull up Android System Info utility and go to Telephony See Screen Cap
$20100719205554.jpg
There is an IMEI, but it does NOT match the IMEI on my Qualcomm unit
Very Bad Sign
So, I power down and Pop open my case and inspect the Circuit board. (DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW! - Not Difficult but can see potential for breaking screen or switch connectors)
Aha, My unit has the solder points for a SIM holder. The Circuitry must have the IMEI baked in.
Thus, my device is 3G ready waiting for the SIM on the Board
The file indicates USB Modem potential, but NOT with this Qualcomm (at this point)
I put it back together, and now I will research further.

(to be continued)

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Thank you GURGLE for taking all the trouble. I have been trying for over 4 weeks to get a response from someone who uses a 3G modem - NO LUCK!
You and probbiethe1 are the only ones to heed my desparate call! I am a beginner to Android and so I won't pretend that I understand all the tech. part of your reply - but I hope you will find an answer for me. Thanks.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Hello Vijay,

Althought this is not an integrated solution. This may be your answer. MiFi. I have no idea where you are located So am listing examples around the world. Mifi is like a 3G WiFi hotspot for up to five devices. I just tested the MiFi to see if I have access with my Tablet and my notebook. It works great. I am thinking of abandoning my 3G Modem and getting one of these.

Britain = http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/08/...201-mobile-wifi-hotspot-in-the-uk-three-shru/
US = http://www.phonenews.com/novatel-an...-us-3g-support-novatel-developer-lounge-8545/
Japan = http://www.mificlub.com/tag/mifi-japan/
India = http://tech2.in.com/india/news/netw...eils-mifi-intelligent-mobile-hotspots/53961/0

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi Gurgle,
Thank you and very decent of you for taking all this trouble. I live in Los Angeles, but will be going to India on holiday - cities are fine, where I will be spending most of the time. But it is the villages which I have to visit - where there is NO WIFI, but cells yes. MIFI, I am told not still available
in India - but has to be confirmed. They do use USB Modems extensively.
I just bought WITS A81E - just my luck, NO 3G! So looking for a cheap MID and compatible USB Modem - also to use here in LA while in car, outdoors etc.
OK, now you have it - just wiping my tears!
Thanks a TON,
Vijay

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Let me know how you like the Witech A81E. I recommended it to a friend. And I hoped I did not steer him wrong.

I have a co-worker friend who returned to india recently and took his mifi unit. I do not know which unit sorry. Once there, He then borrowed a friend's Indian 3G SIM inserted and it worked.

He is still there, I do not know any more detail than that. He researched models and checked with his friends in Mumbai. You might Google or research MiFi.

I also do not know how legal it is to use MiFi in India. But just a thought.

Best of luck

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Thank you Gurgle for the info. I am yet to receive my A81E, from Merimobles who assured me that it will be pre-installed with 2.2 - but at their site I see negative buyer comments from those who recd. it as late as 19th ! I will definitely update you with my comments on receipt - by Wed. 25th.

I do not wish to make this forum a platform for personal corres. but will you consider it ok to email your indian freind's addr. so I can get details of the MIFI make - btw MIFI still not available in India. Thanks again.
[email protected]

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The MIFI is the device not the carrier. Depending upon the device, it is merely a 3G Router for those WiFi devices behind the MIFI unit. I have passed your email addy onwards. It will be up to him. I will check around when I am back at work to discover what unit he is using.

As you say MiFi is not available in India, But they have 3G. So if a unit did work with an Indian 3G SIM then it would be a solution.

Best of Luck

KaLiF

Sep 20, 2010
When I plug my USB modem into a PC it has to install using setup.exe

It seems the apad does not run .exe file extensions, rather .apk

So how can the USB modem work?

wintermute

Sep 4, 2010
in the linux world, usb modem device drivers are not distributed and installed like .exe files. instead, they are normally included in the (freely available) linux kernel, which is the base of android.

while linux itself is free, unfortunately most tablet manufacturers don't release the source code for their android implementations. otherwise it would be fairly simple for a third party to include the necessary drivers. instead, we wait for the manufacturers to release firmware with usb modem support.

you'll have to check your particular device's latest firmware to see if usb modem is now supported.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
in the linux world, usb modem device drivers are not distributed and installed like .exe files. instead, they are normally included in the (freely available) linux kernel, which is the base of android.

while linux itself is free, unfortunately most tablet manufacturers don't release the source code for their android implementations. otherwise it would be fairly simple for a third party to include the necessary drivers. instead, we wait for the manufacturers to release firmware with usb modem support.

you'll have to check your particular device's latest firmware to see if usb modem is now supported.

I am RAW to this And. world, so please bear with me. I have a Wits A81E 2.2 which I am told can NOT be used with a USB dongle Modem ( I am not even sure I am using correct terms!), to access internet whyere NO WIFI. Am I to understand from your statement " latest firmware to see if usb modem is now supported ", that it is a software issue and NO additional hardware is reqd. to use USBModem? Thanks.