Dual Booting Discussion

vinal

Mar 5, 2011
Yeah, its correct...my eclair OS is on the second slot, so it is showing nearly 4GB of space and primary showing nearly 1GB

Yeah..sorry...my linux skills are lacking :eek:

Scripts 'appear' (to my untrained eyes) to resize '0p8' (/media) to 4G and creates new 370M '0p9' (/system) and 1011M '0p10' (/data) which would be used by whatever OS is subsequently flashed (or moved from stock). Writing this so I don't have to figure it out again :)

Again, I could be totally wrong.

vinal

Mar 5, 2011
If you use the CWR 3.0.0.6 you can flash the dual prep files with no issues.

I had tried originally with 3.0.0.6 and then with 3.0.1.0 that I currently have. Is there something special about 3.0.0.6 that I should trying with it again? Thanks.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

vinal

Mar 5, 2011
Finally got prep to work. Had to reformat my media partition with...

newfs_msdos -F 32 -L media /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

Last edited:

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
Now that I have a stock 1.2 on my nook, I figured I'd revive my efforts for a dual boot emmc. Ideally I'd like CM7 on my first partition and a stock bn 1.2 on the secondary. After reading the XDA article I think I understand, but not quite sure.

1) Can I use the prep file on a unrooted nook v 1.2
2)Once I've flashed the prep-dual boot file, where is the script to copy the first partition to the second
3) Will CM7 7.0.2 overide my uboot.bin??

Zamboniman

Apr 25, 2011
Now that I have a stock 1.2 on my nook, I figured I'd revive my efforts for a dual boot emmc. Ideally I'd like CM7 on my first partition and a stock bn 1.2 on the secondary. After reading the XDA article I think I understand, but not quite sure.

1) Can I use the prep file on a unrooted nook v 1.2
2)Once I've flashed the prep-dual boot file, where is the script to copy the first partition to the second
3) Will CM7 7.0.2 overide my uboot.bin??

1) The partitions didn't change and the prep script essentially just creates new partitions so it should be safe. You don't need to be rooted in your stock OS since you're booting from SD.

2) It's in the same post as the other scripts. It's the first post in the dual boot from mmc thread on xda-developers.

3) Yes. That's how it works. The new uboot allows the dual boot to happen. It does back up your old uboot though.

Edit: woops I should learn to read. The prep script will overwrite the stock uboot. Not sure if the stock cm will overwrite that one. I don't think so off the top of my head but maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in. Might be worth unzipping CM and taking a look at the install scripts to check. Even if it did you could reflash the dual uboot from a recovery booted from SD.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
Ok, this seems relatively straight forward. Run the prep dual boot file, copy the default rom to the second partition using the script, then flash the regular CM7 to the default partition. Dalingrin OC kernel should work for CM7 since CM7 is on the default partition Right? What happens if I decide to root the BN v1.2 (whenever the autonooter becomes available)? Would autonooter be able to root my 2nd partion?

Zamboniman

Apr 25, 2011
Ok, this seems relatively straight forward. Run the prep dual boot file, copy the default rom to the second partition using the script, then flash the regular CM7 to the default partition. Dalingrin OC kernel should work for CM7 since CM7 is on the default partition Right? What happens if I decide to root the BN v1.2 (whenever the autonooter becomes available)? Would autonooter be able to root my 2nd partion?

Actually that's a good question. I suspect autonooter won't work since it'll try to push su and whatnot to the wrong place. Of course manual pushing of the files with adb will work. We'll either have to do it the old fashioned way with adb or maybe someone can put together a modified autonooter for people with stock on the extra partitions.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

Here is the warning from the thread I mentioned in the first post of this thread
Warning: Only specially packaged flashable dual boot ROMs like the ones I packaged below will flash to dual boot partition. Other flashable zips will overwrite your default boot.

As for the question of rooting the second partition...I don't honestly know, as my secondary partition is the autonootered B&N OS

Keep in mind: The division of partitions is not even. This process will allocate 3.99GB of the internal memory to the secondary partition, but it doesn't unlock the 3gb of hidden partition, which will only leave 1gb of storage for your primary partition.

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
I had read that in the XDA thread and this thread about the memory partition. Darme'en based on your experiences is 1 gb of storage enough on the primary partition? I would follow the normal steps on the XDA thread but I don't want to hit power + n to boot to my daily OS.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am REALLY taking advantage of app2sd, and haven't ran into issues yet. I wish we could adjust the partition to 2.5gb for both, but that is not a reality yet.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Seems this won't work for me "Seems there is a problem flashing the zips from CWM on SD" I'm running cm7 encore off of sd and still haveproblems booting to recovery.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Darmeen just read your sig "Darmeen should be spelled Darme'en (for proper pronunciation) *a holdout from my role-playing days...Everyone can call me Vic" that's funny we have the same first name 8)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Darmeen just read your sig "Darmeen should be spelled Darme'en (for proper pronunciation) *a holdout from my role-playing days...Everyone can call me Vic" that's funny we have the same first name 8)

Your name is Darme'en?! What a coincidence ;)