Dual Booting Discussion

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Does this include root partitions??

No, It only includes the 5gb of free space we get by default.

(for those that don't know, there is 8gb of internal space on the NC, but only 5gb is accessible as the other 3gb is reserved for the B&N restoration and default OS)

So this dualboot partition creates a second partition at 3.99gb for your second boot, leaving you with 1gb for the primary boot partition.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
So are you saying there can be 2 boot partitions on the nook itself? Not the sd card but on the nook? And the second partition will be 1g? Not sure I'm understanding it all.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So are you saying there can be 2 boot partitions on the nook itself? Not the sd card but on the nook? And the second partition will be 1g? Not sure I'm understanding it all.

That is correct. This dual booting thread is for mutliple boot partitions on the nook itself so that you don't have to use a bootable SD.

JP

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, I am not running a ROM on SD...I am running phiremod v2 beta as my primary boot, and Rooted B&N 1.1 as a secondary boot...all internally.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
BUT....you can't just use any two ROM's...You need Rom's that aren't going to jack with the uboot.bin file

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
Wait??.... I thought the primary was 1GB and the secondary had 3.99GB. Did I mix it up?

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
Success!!! The process went smoother than expected. My only problem was in my excitement I forgot to wipe the /system,/data and /cache when loading CM7.0.2, but other than that, nice and easy install... Sometimes I think I enjoy the process of figuring out how to put roms on my Nook more than actually using the NC itself....

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
So your actually running this now? How did the install go? I would like to run cm7 internal with autonooter can that work? Did you loose stuff or was everything kept? This sounds awesome!

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
Everything is running fine. Actually, since I was running CM7 on an SD, my apps load faster since its on emmc. The entire secondary partition is a mirror image of my old OS. No files have been lost to my knowledge, so IMHO running CM7 with a rooted 1.1 will be fine.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Everything is running fine. Actually, since I was running CM7 on an SD, my apps load faster since its on emmc. The entire secondary partition is a mirror image of my old OS. No files have been lost to my knowledge, so IMHO running CM7 with a rooted 1.1 will be fine.

Great I think I will try it. Do you mind if I ask you for info every now and then? Thanks!

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Congrats mmar141!!! Once you wrap your head around the process, its pretty smooth.

As always, reading through each step can be invaluable.