Eee Pad Tranformer TF101 not charging

Apr 9, 2012
My sisters manufacturer warranty on her asus eee pad transformer tf101 tablet is over so she wants me to try and fix it for her. She is having problems with the battery. It said the battery was 0% and the battery icon had a red exclamation mark. I plugged it in but the battery indicator still said discharging, battery health: dead. First I tried replacing the battery. Now when I plug it in the battery indicator says discharging, battery health: good. So the tablet still was not recognizing that it was plugged in. So then I tried replacing the charging/data cable. Now it seems to recognize when it is plugged in but the battery still says that it is not charging. Do you think it could be the charging port or could it be a software problem. It won't let me do any software updates because the battery is very low.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I would recommend you call ASUS support. The unit may have a battery problem and should be still under warranty.

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
There are 2 possible solutions. First, sometimes dirt or something gets between the chargers contacts. Try using a dust buster to blow out the contact, both with it open and closed. This worked for me when had a problem. Also blow out the charging port on the transformer. I have also heard that if you put the charger in a ziplock bag and place it in the freezer overnight, this will fit it. Suposely it resets something in the charger.

The problem could be the cable, not the charger. To check this, plug the cable to a usb port on a computer. If the port is usb 2, it will just connect to transfer files; if the computer port is usb 3.0, it will also charge the transformer. If it doesn't connect at all, the problem may be the cable

Also, definitely contact Asus customer support. I've been an Asus customer for many years, and I always found them to be very helpful. Lastly, you can get a new charger for about $20 on Amazon. I bought an extra one so I would have one at work and at home. If you love the tablet like I do, it's worth the $20 if nothing else works.

You also state with the new cable, it seams to be connected but not charging. Do you get any reaction when you plug it in(A battery charging icon should pop up). If you have the keyboard dock (and I highly suggest you get it if you don't), does the light go on when you connect?

P.S. You may have noticed how short the Asus cable is. An USB entension works great; just make sure it is usb 3.0.

Gordks

May 16, 2012
My sisters manufacturer warranty on her asus eee pad transformer tf101 tablet is over so she wants me to try and fix it for her. She is having problems with the battery. It said the battery was 0% and the battery icon had a red exclamation mark. I plugged it in but the battery indicator still said discharging, battery health: dead. First I tried replacing the battery. Now when I plug it in the battery indicator says discharging, battery health: good. So the tablet still was not recognizing that it was plugged in. So then I tried replacing the charging/data cable. Now it seems to recognize when it is plugged in but the battery still says that it is not charging. Do you think it could be the charging port or could it be a software problem. It won't let me do any software updates because the battery is very low.

I would try putting the charging block in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer for an hour or so and try again. This may sound ridiculous, but it worked for me.

I had no problem charging my Transformer until I used that charger to charge an 808 #16 keyfob video camera. After that the charger would charge the tablet, either alone or when plugged into the keyboard/dock, but I would never get the green LED on the dock that indicates a complete charge. I tried just charging the keyboard/dock itself and the LED still showed blinking red no matter how long I left it plugged in. I installed the Dual Battery widget on the tablet and it showed no charge at all in the keyboard/dock. I took the charging block that plugs into the wall and put it in a plastic bag ( may not be really important to do that ) and put it in the freeze for an hour, since I had seen mention of that taking care of charging problems for someone else. Then I tried to charge the keyboard/dock again. To my amazement the led went from blinking red to solid red in not too long a time. I docked the tablet and found that the Dual Battery widget now showed about 12% charge for the keyboard/dock. I am now charging both together again and the charge status of battery in the keyboard/dock is steadily climbing according the the widget. It appears that there are separate charging circuits in that charger block for the tablet and the keyboard/dock. And it seems that it is not very happy about charging other devices. In my case charging something other than the Transformer seems to have 'tripped a breaker' in the block so that, even though it would charge the tablet, it would not charge the keyboard/dock. Fortunately it apparently can be reset by freezing it for a while. Try it! It might take care of your problem too. Good Luck.

Gord

Last edited:

Nic6

Jul 18, 2012
I havean Asus Transformer TF300T. The battery icon turned to a red exclamation markand does not charging. As I understand the exclamation mark means that thebattery dose not recognized by the device. Is that battery’s or IC regulator’son the device problem? Will the exclamation mark leave if I replace the battery?

Emylionaire

Jul 22, 2012
Hello. I'm having a similar problem. I bought my ASUS TF 101 about 2months ago in the US and it charged just fine when plugged into the wall. I'm now in South Africa and I have tried plugging it into several different laptops to charge ( as the sockets here are different) and the tablet won't charge. What should I do?

queenofhearts

Aug 27, 2012

How did you get it to work?

xonatman

Nov 3, 2012
We had the same problem, we tried replacing the cord but that didn't do the trick. We then decided to plug the tablet into the asus keyboard and try and charge it through that. This solved our problem and we can charge it just fine so long as it is plugged into the keyboard.