Ematic E-GLIDE Android Mobile Internet

SFlummox

Mar 7, 2011
Dear SFlummaox, Hi. The Havilon HD580 with the built in SIM card does not work with Android OS. Sorry. We need a SIM card that carries no charge. paulwayne.

Not sure what you mean by "a SIM card that carries no charge". Maybe just one that isn't activated? The AT&T DataConnect Pass FAQs say that you can't use an activated SIM (e.g., from a smartphone with an account). It recommends going to an AT&T store to get a non-activated SIM. This seems safer than just ordering it online. I still wouldn't pay more than $5-$6 for it, though.

In the list xaueious found, the HD580 only got two stars (= 较差 = Poor, according to Google Translate). Have you had any luck finding the Huawei dongles with better ratings? I don't know what the difference is, but these are the ones with 4 stars in 3g_support_list_v1.2.xls:
E1780, E158, E1820-0, E1756, E1550, K3765, E17X, E173, E226, E166, E272, E1692

Unfortunately, I've started to see the same behavior newnick reported way back in post #10. Left the eGilde on the charger overnight and grabbed it on my way out the door in the morning- but it wouldn't turn on. I ran back into the house, plugged it back into the charger, and it reset (displaying the white eGlide splash screen). After that, I had a full battery, and it turned off and back on fine all day long.

When it works, it's well worth the price- having the real Android Market is great; no problems with the browser, email, or Facebook over wifi; I can even play Angry Birds (although it does take a while to load). It's also nice to have the flexibility of connecting a USB flash drive, keyboard, mouse, etc. without an adapter. The touchscreen is a bit sketchy (e.g., double letters when using the on-screen keyboard, Angry Birds falling out of the slingshot) but nothing I can't live with. But as newnick said, I need to know that it will turn on reliably. So mine may be going back to Walmart.

Anyone else having problems with (or find a resolution for) their MID not switching on, despite a fully charged battery? Is the unit locking up as it searches for a cellular signal?

j16904

Mar 10, 2011
Not sure what you mean by "a SIM card that carries no charge". Maybe just one that isn't activated? The AT&T DataConnect Pass FAQs say that you can't use an activated SIM (e.g., from a smartphone with an account). It recommends going to an AT&T store to get a non-activated SIM. This seems safer than just ordering it online. I still wouldn't pay more than $5-$6 for it, though.

In the list xaueious found, the HD580 only got two stars (= 较差 = Poor, according to Google Translate). Have you had any luck finding the Huawei dongles with better ratings? I don't know what the difference is, but these are the ones with 4 stars in 3g_support_list_v1.2.xls:
E1780, E158, E1820-0, E1756, E1550, K3765, E17X, E173, E226, E166, E272, E1692

Unfortunately, I've started to see the same behavior newnick reported way back in post #10. Left the eGilde on the charger overnight and grabbed it on my way out the door in the morning- but it wouldn't turn on. I ran back into the house, plugged it back into the charger, and it reset (displaying the white eGlide splash screen). After that, I had a full battery, and it turned off and back on fine all day long.

When it works, it's well worth the price- having the real Android Market is great; no problems with the browser, email, or Facebook over wifi; I can even play Angry Birds (although it does take a while to load). It's also nice to have the flexibility of connecting a USB flash drive, keyboard, mouse, etc. without an adapter. The touchscreen is a bit sketchy (e.g., double letters when using the on-screen keyboard, Angry Birds falling out of the slingshot) but nothing I can't live with. But as newnick said, I need to know that it will turn on reliably. So mine may be going back to Walmart.

Anyone else having problems with (or find a resolution for) their MID not switching on, despite a fully charged battery? Is the unit locking up as it searches for a cellular signal?

The trick is to hit the reset button before taking it off charger somethiing wrong with battery
Reader i think. Quite few ppl have that problem. I do but it not horrible always. Turn on after resetting

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear SFlummox, HI...I have been receing a lot of confusing information reagrding the E1750 3g USB modem for MID tablets. The E1750 specs state that it is compatible with 850/900/1700/1900/2100 MHZ for the USA.
The supplier told me the E1750 only supports 2100 MHZ and will not work with most USA 3g providers? Do you know of any 3g USB modem that will work with the Eglide MID tablet. I'm very confused with the information and answers I am receiving and reading. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks, paulwayne.

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear Sunigirl, Hi....I thought I read in one of the posts that there is a word processor for the Eglide Android OS MID tablet or avaiable on the Android apps market. I cannot seem to locate that post. Do you know how I can obtain that word processor for the Eglide? Can it be converted to .DOC file format? Thanks, paulwayne.

chezjim

Mar 7, 2011
I use QuickOffice Pro. The Documents To Go full version is well-recommended as well, but I had glitches in trying to pay for it, finally cancelled.

Don't expect anything like a desktop word processor. On Quickoffice, for instance, to use bold or italics, you have to bring up a pop-up, scroll to the option, hit OK, and then reverse it when you're at the end of the word you want to bold or italicized. And there's no cut or paste in QuickOffice (the manual for Documents to Go says they have it, as well as things like tables).

It certainly helps to add an external keyboard too. I might upgrade mine to one with a touch pad built in, which should make Life easier still. And to get to the end of a long document, it's best to go to Page View and type in the number. Even then you'll have to scroll down if you're picking up where you left off.

Both these tools produce doc. files. It would be cool if they did Open Office as well. But expect to use them for general input. You'll go mad if you try and do and serious formatting on them.

By the way, since (unlike the Coby 7015) this doesn't come with a case that acts as a stand, I bought two cheap folding picture stands and set my handwritten text on one, the eGlide on the other. Works pretty well, certainly better than laying the device flat and trying to read as you type.

Last edited:

shak

Mar 16, 2011
If u want to try doc file just google .apk files in ur laptop there are so many gud doc related apps.if u try U can find full quick doc file but that is not as perfect as iPhone apps but still u can try.u can first google in ur android market then google on ur laptop with .apk extention u can find full app.

chezjim

Mar 7, 2011
Freak out! Followed by solution... :)

If you haven't read my earlier posts, my device has a shaky TF slot, so I use a bit of black tape to keep the card in. This has actually worked fine for a few weeks.

Meanwhile, until now, I've never tried to actually USE my eGlide when it's hooked up as a USB drive. But just now I wanted to check something in QuickOffice and so I brought that up while the device was hooked up to my desktop - and freaked. Because my TF card had disappeared. I popped it out and made sure it was solidly reinserted, but with no luck. I even tried "rebooting" the eGlide.

That didn't work, but as it turned back on, I noticed it was setting USB debugging mode. Checking around, I found that the flag to treat any USB connection as a debugging state was set. Accidentally? Dunno (in general, be sure to check settings when you have problems - some reset themselves with no warnings.) Anyway, I turned that off.

With the machine disconnected, I did indeed get my TF card contents back. But when I hooked it up? Poof. Gone again.

Which, it turns out, seems to be normal. One you hook the device up as a USB drive, you can no longer read your TF card through the device. I didn't realize that for the simple reason that I'd never tried to do so in the past.

Whew! All I needed was to lose the TF card (without it, word processing is pretty much a waste).

For what all that is worth...

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear SFummox, I ordered the Huawei E160, that works with all 3g and data providers. Unfortunately, they shipped me the E160E model, which does not support HSDPA / WCDMA (850 MHZ).
The E160E only supports HSDPA / WCDMA (900 / 1200 MHZ). Did you find a 3g modem that works with the Eglide Android tablet? Thanks, Paul.

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear Sunigirl, Hi.....Could you please provide me instructions to tether my cell phone to my Eglide Android tablet? I have a pre-paid cell phone with Bluetooth and web access. I thought I read that you were able to tether your cell phone to the Eglide tablet? Could you please help me? Thanks, Paulwayne

andromeda1264

Apr 11, 2011
I have an adroid 2.2 Epad. I have a usb modem that I used with my laptop and netbook. For some reason, it will not work on my android, can some one please tell me how to make it connect to my usb modem?

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear Android Tablets.net. I have an Ematic Eglide MID Android 2.1 OS tablet. Could someone please provide me instructions on how to tether my Eglide Android 2.1 tablet to my cell phone with web access and Bluetooth to enable me to have web access on my Eglide Android tablet? Thank You, paulwayne.

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Andromeda1264, Hi....I have the same problem. I purchased a Huawei E160E that was supposed to be compatible with all Android 2.1 tablets and it does not work. I tried 2 different SIM cards in the modem and it still does not work. What kind of 3g modem and SIM card are you using? Thanks, paulwayne.

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear kyres, Hi....I do not see the Huawei E160 on your list. Accrdoing to the spcs it supports the following specs: It support 850 MHZ for HSDPA/UMTS and GSM/GPRS/EDGE and WCDMA for use in he USA. Do you have any information or data on this 3g USB modem? Thanks, paulwayne.

Huawei E160 Modem Specifications:

HSDPA/UMTS (850/1900/2100 MHz)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
Support 3.6 Mbps HSDPA services
Micro SD Card Slot
Support PC voice (optional) and SMS services
Support data statistics
Receive diversity (850/1900/2100MHz)
Plug & Play

Support Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista