Endless force close loop

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Hi Matt,

I really appreciate all the help. And, I agree that wiping the system may be the best thing to do.

After I do that, can you recommend an alternative launcher that doesn't blow up? I really don't like, for example, the fact that the default launcher doesn't support widgets.

Also, should I be doing a firmware upgrade? And, if so, how do I go about that?

TNX,
Scott

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Scott,

I can recommend three launchers:

LauncherPro: I use it on my phone (Droid) and adore it. Works great. A few neat features: cool screen-transition animations, and lots of options for programming shortcuts and the dock. Cons: not built for tabs, and I don't like that you only get 5 buttons on the dock. I use the free version, but the paid version allows...WIDGET RESIZING! Dude, you can't even do that on stock Honeycomb. Neat feature, and I bet it is a great thing to have on a tablet.

Zeam: what my wife uses on her Nook Color. Not as versatile as LauncherPro, but you can "resize" the number of icons on the screen in more ways to fit your needs. Also more slots on the dock for app shortcuts.

VTL: Dave has promoted VTL...I don't know it as well. It seems to go with VEGAn well (same dev?), but I don't know if it will work on a stock gTab. I think it's built especially for tabs, and looks like it has OODLES of options.

Anyway, a good first step is poking around youtube. Here is the test I apply: if I see a video, and say "WOW I WANT THAT LAUNCHER!" I usually get it. ;)

Firmware? If something doesn't come OTA (over the air) it's no rush. But make sure to check your settings and see what you've got. We can proceed from there.

-Matt

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Hi Matt,

About tells me I am using Android 2.2, Tap UI version 1.1-3588, Kernal vesrion 2.6.32.9-0000-10.8.2-dirty hudson@tapntapsvn #16, build number FRF91.

Also, the reset choice I can find is under Security, which has "Factory data reset" as a choice. Before I screw up the tablet again, is this what you are talking about when you say I should wipe the system?

Hi Scott,

Sounds like you have an earlier (1.1 bootloader) version of the firmware. Looks like it's checking for an update (probably not finding it) and rebooting. But it's good news that you can get back in. :)

EDIT: OH YEAH, now that you can access the system, head on over to your system settings (is it under "About"?) and see if you can spot the software version!

It's a bit of a pain, but given the issues you're having with the newer apps, it will probably be smart to wipe the system and start over. Now that you can access the system, you should consider going into system settings and doing a factory reset. I think wiping should be a good short-term fix, but I recommend reading up on nvflash, and re-installing the 1.1 image.

I actually don't know. Proprietary name...I've heard some not-so-flattering spin-offs of that name!

Sorry, I've only used the Gmail app so far. Hopefully another user who knows the stock mail app can chime in on that question!

-Matt

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Re: LauncherPro. It sounds like it would be nice for the gTablet. However, it also sounds like the only way to determine whether it blows up is to set it as the default and hope for the best. Not surprisingly, I'm a little reluctant to do that.

--Scott

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Matt,

About tells me I am using Android 2.2, Tap UI version 1.1-3588, Kernal vesrion 2.6.32.9-0000-10.8.2-dirty hudson@tapntapsvn #16, build number FRF91.

Also, the reset choice I can find is under Security, which has "Factory data reset" as a choice. Before I screw up the tablet again, is this what you are talking about when you say I should wipe the system?
3588, great. That's the standard 1.1 bootloader. Easy for you to move around versions with that (once you try nvflash!).

Yep, that's the reset I was describing. Here is what should happen: if you reset, it should take you back to OOB (out of box) condition with one exception--if you put any files on...I think it's the /sdcard directory--those should not get wiped. But to be safe: if you put anything on the gTab you want to preserve (e.g., I immediately loaded on some books and videos), make sure to hook it up to your PC first and make a backup copy. Remember the reason for doing this is to just put you back in a position where, if it misbehaves, we can rule out various explanations.

(Brief sermon: since you're a member of our forum--i.e., ready to play with your device--there is an EXCELLENT chance you'll be doing wipes and resets multiple times. Don't sweat it, and sorry for preaching, but don't get too attached or comfortable if things start to work well for a few days. You're beginning the life of a gypsy, and stability you will know no longer! At least not for more than a few weeks! Until of course you find the ROM of your life, and set things up just the way you want.)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Re: LauncherPro. It sounds like it would be nice for the gTablet. However, it also sounds like the only way to determine whether it blows up is to set it as the default and hope for the best. Not surprisingly, I'm a little reluctant to do that.

--Scott
Yep, yep. I know where you're coming from! Welcome to life on the edge, with a gTab. ;)

-Matt

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
It's been a while since I've been on stock tap-n-tap.. but if i recall launcher pro worked fine... just wait and make sure before making itthe default... another to try that I've used is VTL launcher.. it actualy has some enhancments specifically for tablets...

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
One more question.

Given that the gTablet, evidently, does not support the Android Market and the Amazon app store doesn't offer most of the launchers or nvflash, where do you folks go for these sorts of apps?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
One more question.

Given that the gTablet, evidently, does not support the Android Market and the Amazon app store doesn't offer most of the launchers or nvflash, where do you folks go for these sorts of apps?

One of the first things people do a lot of the time is flash to get off the ROM that came stock on the g-tablet, and the new ROMs all support full android market. They get them there. Look here for more info: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...rkmod-custom-rom-flash-player-market-fix.html

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
It's been a while since I've been on stock tap-n-tap.. but if i recall launcher pro worked fine... just wait and make sure before making itthe default... another to try that I've used is VTL launcher.. it actualy has some enhancments specifically for tablets...
I just played with zyhong's port of CM7 for the 1.2 bootloader ([ROM/MOD - 1.2] - Gingerbread Rom Collection for Bootloader 1.2 - [G-TABLET\ZAPD T2] - SlateDroid.com). It's very nice, but what caught my eye is that the ROM defaults to ADW. That's a launcher I don't have much experience with, but I know many people like it. I noticed that it also has widget resizing--I love that feature.

-Matt

Last edited:

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
I'm still exploring it's capabilities. I think I would prefer the ADW launcher I have on my Droid X, but it's too soon to say for sure. And, it doesn't matter, since the ADW launcher blowing up on my gTablet is what got this thread started in the first place.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, and ADW is the last one I recommended. I must have no short-term memory!

An interesting feature is that you get 2 actions per dock icon--normal press, and a swipe, that activates a different function. Not sure it's needed on a tab, but it's fun to play with.

-Matt