Feelings on the VTAB1008?

sfreemanoh

Dec 7, 2011
I have a Nook Tablet that I'm planning on returning, so I'm looking for another, similarly sized tablet to take its place. I'll be using it for pretty basic stuff, reading books on Kindle, watching some HD video (mkv files and the like), maybe some Netflix, checking my email, web browsing, etc. Very little gaming, if any.

So with this in mind, do you think the VTAB would be a good fit? I see it only has 512MB RAM, which kind of worries me a bit...

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
I have done all of these things, except Netflix, quite easily on my VTAB.

I don't seem to have any issues with the amount of RAM.

I have a Kobo reader, and this thing is much better for books, IMO.

Of course, like any piece of tech, your preferences are usually met in the community, so what I like for an eReader, browser or other apps, you may not, but there is PLENTY to choose from.

I love the market <not as much since the last update> for searching and downloading

sfreemanoh

Dec 7, 2011
Why are you returning the Nook Tablet?X

Well, to start off with, the NT is great for what it is, out of the box. It's light enough to make a very comfortable e-reader, and Netflix streams great over wi-fi, with more than decent audio and video. Web browsing is...web browsing, it's hard to really screw that up. The screen size is perfect for me, and makes typing on the on-screen keyboard significantly more comfortable than the 10" Viewsonic G-Tablet I'm trying to replace. The built-in email client kinda sucks though.

HOWEVER...other than that, the interface is horrible, without rooting and making some in-depth changes (getting the Amazon market installed is cake, but installing the Android market requires root and a bit more work). Which, without a recovery image or anything of the sort, I'm not going to do. And since the bootloader is locked, ROM development is slow at the time being (aka there's nothing available as of yet, we barely have root on it). If the community blows up down the road, that's awesome, I'll probably pick one up then, but I don't want to hold onto a $250 purchase hoping that the NT will be more than what it is right now.

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
I have used Netflix a few times since getting my Vizio tab and it has been great. I have watched on the tablet itself and I have hooked it up to my 42" tv with the HDMI out. No problems at all!

sfreemanoh

Dec 7, 2011
Because of the resistive screen, how is it for reading? Does it register finger swipes reliably for changing pages?

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
The vtab has a nice capacitive screen not a resistive screen. As far as reading books and watching movies the vtab does these very well plus as mentioned I use a micro HDMI cord to send hd video to my HD TV.

Jim

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Klingercrazy

Dec 7, 2011
I have had the vizio tab for over a month and a half. I use it all the time and it performs nicely - probably 90% - 95% success rate with apps and webpages. Not enough problematic issues to matter. In fact I haven't powered up my laptop since getting my vtab1008. For the $198.00 price point, its a hit!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

tlyonstlyons

Nov 29, 2011
I have a Nook Tablet that I'm planning on returning, so I'm looking for another, similarly sized tablet to take its place. I'll be using it for pretty basic stuff, reading books on Kindle, watching some HD video (mkv files and the like), maybe some Netflix, checking my email, web browsing, etc. Very little gaming, if any.

So with this in mind, do you think the VTAB would be a good fit? I see it only has 512MB RAM, which kind of worries me a bit...

Yesterday I held up my VTab next to the Nook Color and the Nook tablet for my wife to look at side-by-side. I'm buying her something for Christmas.

She totally dissed the Nooks. She thought the Nook screens had a wierd aspect ratio; she liked the higher res and larger width of the VTab. She couldn't see any way the Nook screen was brighter or better.

When I said no Google Market she started making fun of people dumb enough to buy the Nook. The salesgirl standing there was not pleased. I pointed out the light weight and thinness. She pointed out that niether went in her pocket and both fit in her purse. The only thing she gave the Nooks credit for was the longer battery life. I didn't dare mention the no internal GPS or even bluetooth without hacking.

I was pretty surprised. I expected her to light up at the thinner/lighter. $189 at Costco.

Huluplus and Netflix come pre-installed with the VTab. HBO2Go to works great. Flash 10.3 runs most embedded video but not all. Sadly, Xfinity on demand does't seem to work.

Edit: for media, the VTab is actually an unusually good choice in a way I didn't expect: it's got better than usual stereo speakers.

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
Yesterday I held up my VTab next to the Nook Color and the Nook tablet for my wife to look at side-by-side. I'm buying her something for Christmas.

She totally dissed the Nooks. She thought the Nook screens had a wierd aspect ratio; she liked the higher res and larger width of the VTab. She couldn't see any way the Nook screen was brighter or better.

When I said no Google Market she started making fun of people dumb enough to buy the Nook. The salesgirl standing there was not pleased. I pointed out the light weight and thinness. She pointed out that niether went in her pocket and both fit in her purse. The only thing she gave the Nooks credit for was the longer battery life. I didn't dare mention the no internal GPS or even bluetooth without hacking.

I was pretty surprised. I expected her to light up at the thinner/lighter. $189 at Costco.

Huluplus and Netflix come pre-installed with the VTab. HBO2Go to works great. Flash 10.3 runs most embedded video but not all. Sadly, Xfinity on demand does't seem to work.

Edit: for media, the VTab is actually an unusually good choice in a way I didn't expect: it's got better than usual stereo speakers.

I think the Xfinity thing is a Silverlight issue. haven't yet tried the Moonlight app, to see if it works