First Official ICS Android Tablet: NOVO7; Endorsed by Andy Rubin, Only $99 Bucks!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
mips-ics-tablet.jpg

Here's a bit of a surprise... even though we have seen ports on several devices, the first Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich tablet will not be what we expect. The first ICS tablet will be a $99 dollar MIPS SoC enabled tablet called the NOVO7.

Instead of the usual ARM-based chispet, the NOVO7 uses the MIPS-based XBurst processor called JZ4770, from the Chinese Ingenic Semiconductor. This chip runs at 1GHz and can handle 1080p video playback and 3D games with its Vivante GC860 GPU. Supposedly, this tech is very efficient with battery power and allows for 7 hours of browsing or 6 hours of 3D gameplay.

The tablet also has a 7" capacitive touchscreen, a USB 2.0 port, microHDMI ports, a 2MP rear camera, a front-facing camera and a microSD slot. This tablet even garnered the praise of Mr. Android himself, Andy Rubin. Here's a quote,
I’m thrilled to see the entrance of MIPS-Based Android 4.0 tablets into the market. Low cost, high performance tablets are a big win for mobile consumers and a strong illustration of how Android’s openness drives innovation and competition for the benefit of consumers around the world.
The NOVO7 tablet passed the Google Compatibility Test Suite certification. It will run pretty much all of Google's services and can handle thousands of apps from the Android Market. Even though the device is only $99 bucks, it looks like they are charging $66 bucks for shipping, which is a bit sneaky, but still worth looking at. What do you think?

You can check out their full press release at the source link below.

Source: First ICS Android Tablet - MIPS Based, and Sub-$100 Price Point NOVO7 - Press Release

Last edited:

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
For $99 is worth at least give it the shot. Seem like a winner if everything works as advertised.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

Cleverhog

Dec 6, 2011
Hi , I am looking for 9.7" Android Tablet with Capacitive Touch Screen . Can anyone propose a good quality Tablet at around $200 . Please post me .

PS- Please donot propose any fake china tablets like Zenithink , AOCOS , Window Android 2.3 etc. And I recomend not to buy those tabs.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I wonder when they will be available in the US, shipping is too steep even from China. At that price with lower shipping maybe I will wait to get these for my kids' birthdays instead of Christmas.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi , I am looking for 9.7" Android Tablet with Capacitive Touch Screen . Can anyone propose a good quality Tablet at around $200 . Please post me .

PS- Please donot propose any fake china tablets like Zenithink , AOCOS , Window Android 2.3 etc. And I recomend not to buy those tabs.

Hi Cleverhog, you should check out the Le Pan TC970 http://www.amazon.com/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2. There is a section for it here Le Pan Tablets. Lots of good review and it you look around you can find it for about $200.

JP

Lectruck

Apr 23, 2011
The Le Pan tablets was also recommended by the Into Tomorrow guys from the Radio and App as a good buy on there Thanksgiving special.

Don

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I like the Lepan's from what I've seen they are a decent MID. Thanks Lectruck for the feedback from the Into Tomorrow Guys, that sounds cool. Walmart has them back in stock if you look for the TC970. The only thing that holds me back is the OS isn't gingerbread and I heard that they aren't going to be able to do an update on this model's OS. So you have to be happy with 2.2 if this device is to work for you, you know?

Lectruck

Apr 23, 2011
I like the Lepan's from what I've seen they are a decent MID. Thanks Lectruck for the feedback from the Into Tomorrow Guys, that sounds cool. Walmart has them back in stock if you look for the TC970. The only thing that holds me back is the OS isn't gingerbread and I heard that they aren't going to be able to do an update on this model's OS. So you have to be happy with 2.2 if this device is to work for you, you know?

I had just read that also, could be the Novo 7 would be better since it is already ready to go.

Don