Front facing camera for Huawei S7 Tablet (Ideos)

fachex

Nov 10, 2010
I picked up on from Best Buy yesterday and I am very happy with it, it came with two camera (front and rear) but the front-facing camera seems not to be enabled. I tried several application including fring and it does not work.
Any help here?

stevepsycho

Nov 13, 2010
I had the same issues. If you press settings while in the camera you will have the option between front and rear. Also the only app I've found that kind of works for video chatting is fringe. Only problem is Is it doesnt recognize the front camera.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have opened a support ticket with Fring (FIN-110323) to see if we can get one of their engineers involved and get this working. I will let you all know of any progress.

Cheers,
Peter

Huawei7

Nov 12, 2010
Also, may sound stupit but don't forget to take the 'shipping' plastic off the rear camera lens! took the plastic off the rear battery cover but didn't notice the small peice over the camera lens. took 'ok' photos till I noticed the plastic on it. MUCH better photos now!!

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
Also, may sound stupit but don't forget to take the 'shipping' plastic off the rear camera lens! took the plastic off the rear battery cover but didn't notice the small peice over the camera lens. took 'ok' photos till I noticed the plastic on it. MUCH better photos now!!

i don't seem to see a plastic over the camera lens, though it feels like there is.. how small is the plastic? i mean does the size just fits the camera lens..?

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
anyone try qik?

I'm at work and my S7 is home so I can't tell for sure, but I think I tried it but couldn't get it to work 100%. I think I remember that in the video folder there are a couple of videos I took that are named qik...someting so I was able to film myself but I don't think I managed to do a video call.
I will try again tonight, and I have also received the .apk for Tango which I will try out.
Fringe works for me but with a few issues - read my post here.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
it is accessible if you remove the battery cover first. Did you try this?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
what is fring>?

my wife has a GT78 and its part of one of their updates that is un removable.

j

Fring is a Video Chat tool, allows you to theoretically talk between devices that have cameras with video support.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Not to hijack this thread, but you might also find it interesting to follow the discussion on the support forum for the Tango video conference app:
New Huaweii Tablet At Best Buy
Tango doesn't show up in my S7's Market, but they kindly sent me their .apk via email. Unfortunately it won't run, so I have given them my logcat which they are hopefully working on at the moment.

So: Fring, Qik, Tango, let's see which video conf app that actually ends up working 100% on our S7's...

ucandog

Nov 21, 2010
I actually know the answer to this one! Once you activate the camera or the camcorder, simply press the middle button on the left..the three lines..it will bring up a bottom menu and you choose secondary camera. Was pumped once I figured that out!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I explored this a bit with my Haipad: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-usage-apps/2308-streaming-media-over-your-lan-your-tablet.html

Maybe it will work with your tablet too. It comes with some strings attached, though. MP3s will stream, but on my tablet the screen goes black and I have no controls (other than hitting the "back" button to stop it and get back to the file browser), and the only video format that will stream is Windows Media .wmv files (I assume their audio format will too, I just don't have any). The videos do launch a player with controls, at least on my tablet they do. No guarantees yours will work the same.

VLC Stream & Convert on your tablet and VLC as your server is a bit more complicated to set up, but probably a better way to go for streaming on your home network.