FYI, Permanent BN-OTA block posted here

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Now why would you want to do that? Just kidding, some people want to and nothing wrong with that. Nice find. :)

As I've taken a journey back to 1.0.0, I can see now each update is well worth it for performance upgrades, smoothness and bug fixes. 1.0.0 is horrible.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
As I've taken a journey back to 1.0.0, I can see now each update is well worth it for performance upgrades, smoothness and bug fixes. 1.0.0 is horrible.[/QUOTE]

So, are you going to be able to bring ur nc back up to where it was? Details pls. Newbie here and learning alot! Keep talking.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
So, are you going to be able to bring ur nc back up to where it was? Details pls. Newbie here and learning alot! Keep talking.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Yea, nothing real critical and not much to detail. I updated 1.1 manually and tried to use nooter02 to re-root, which worked for me with update 1.0.1. Unfortunately, this time around I wasn't so lucky, and my rooting efforts messed my NC up.

So... I was forced to take it back to 1.0.0 with a factory reset > Sideload 1.0.1 BN update > Autonooter 2.12.25 > CWR > Restore from SD card to 1.0.1 rooted.

The restore went well, everything is where it was before, kernel, apps, wallpapers, settings, etc.... like my mess up never happened. :)

brokevet

Jan 15, 2011
Since I have no idea how to do this. I will just leave WiFi off. I have autonootered 1.0.1. All works well. I don't want it messed up.
I guess I have to leave WiFi turned off and just use it as a reader for awhile.

bonzer2u

Jan 29, 2011
You indicate that your 1.01 rooted.

You will then need to have SU and ADB working and follow the instructions at the link on post #1. You can then leave your wifi on without worry of ever being updated from BN.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Since I have no idea how to do this. I will just leave WiFi off. I have autonootered 1.0.1. All works well. I don't want it messed up.
I guess I have to leave WiFi turned off and just use it as a reader for awhile.

If you are worried about the update you can install clockwork and make a backup. There is a how to stickied. You can even load the 1.1 pre rooted rom through clockwork if you want.

sent from my rooted nook color

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
What u r saying,Stelv, ,is that if I load the 1.1 pre rooted rom I ccan update my nook without having to re-root?
gloria

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
What u r saying,Stelv, ,is that if I load the 1.1 pre rooted rom I ccan update my nook without having to re-root?
gloria

Yes i believe so. I would refer to the thread on the pre rooted 1.1 rom. I haven't loaded it on mine yet, but i believe it includes the updated software for the nook within the rom. You need to install clockwork recovery and make a backup first before you can install a rom.

sent from my rooted nook color

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok, this thread made me realize something. My bc was1.0.0 out of the box. So i rooted and did car and then did the 1.1ghz kernel update.

But my software is STILL 1.0.0! Are their benefits to having the b&n update?

Just when i thought i was done (for a little while)...

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok, this thread made me realize something. My bc was1.0.0 out of the box. So i rooted and did car and then did the 1.1ghz kernel update.

But my software is STILL 1.0.0! Are their benefits to having the b&n update?

Just when i thought i was done (for a little while)...

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app

* edit: there are three versions now: 1.0.0 (autonooter), 1.0.1 (autonooter), and 1.1.0 (via installing a rom through CWR, no autonooter yet)

You will prolly like rooted 1.0.1 better, but I can't remember what changed. If you un-root, remember before you sideload 1.0.1 update and re-root, you need to bring your nook back to factory/stock condition and re-register.

Does anyone know if he can just load the 1.1 pre-rooted rom over 1.0? or does he have to have 1.0.1 first?

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
* edit: there are three versions now: 1.0.0 (autonooter), 1.0.1 (autonooter), and 1.1.0 (via installing a rom through CWR, no autonooter yet)

You will prolly like rooted 1.0.1 better, but I can't remember what changed. If you un-root, remember before you sideload 1.0.1 update and re-root, you need to bring your nook back to factory/stock condition and re-register.

Does anyone know if he can just load the 1.1 pre-rooted rom over 1.0? or does he have to have 1.0.1 first?

Now that you put it that way, I am really hoping the more initiated and informed can maybe create a thread outlining the options available to folks? From what you said above, it looks like I have followed path number one, and really I could stay here or choose path two or three (or maybe more if there are other ROMs out there).

Also, before I go to far forward, can someone help me remember the difference between what the custom kernels do compared to custom ROMs?

Finally, reason I posted here was because I have had wifi ON since the start, and have done all my rooting, flashing, etc. without ever getting an OTA update. I only installed CWR and did a backup last night just before doing the new kernel. I seem to remember getting a notice about an update available early on before rooting and skipping it, but since rooting have had no notices and have not had an update forced on me either. Idea's on what I did to prevent it? I have none.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Now that you put it that way, I am really hoping the more initiated and informed can maybe create a thread outlining the options available to folks? From what you said above, it looks like I have followed path number one, and really I could stay here or choose path two or three (or maybe more if there are other ROMs out there).

Also, before I go to far forward, can someone help me remember the difference between what the custom kernels do compared to custom ROMs?

Finally, reason I posted here was because I have had wifi ON since the start, and have done all my rooting, flashing, etc. without ever getting an OTA update. I only installed CWR and did a backup last night just before doing the new kernel. I seem to remember getting a notice about an update available early on before rooting and skipping it, but since rooting have had no notices and have not had an update forced on me either. Idea's on what I did to prevent it? I have none.

Custom kernel is for speed and overclocking. A Rom (Read Only Memory) is a custom android operating system, that replaces your current one.

I would probably stay where you are...to go to 1.0.1 you will have to remove clockwork recovery, reset and factory restore your device, sideload 1.0.1, re-root, and re-install clockwork. There are threads for these processes available.

You have a backup already, so you could try to load the 1.1 pre-rooted rom. Here is the thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/7127-rom-nook-color-v1-1-0-pre-rooted.html Should work. If it does not, you can boot into recovery and restore a backup.

* sorry off my game today, edited post again

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Custom kernel is for speed and overclocking. A Rom (Read Only Memory) is a custom android operating system, that replaces your current one.

I would probably stay where you are...to go to 1.0.1 you will have to remove clockwork recovery, reset and factory restore your device, sideload 1.0.1, re-root, and re-install clockwork. There are threads for these processes available.

You have a backup already, so you could try to load the 1.1 pre-rooted rom. Here is the thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/7127-rom-nook-color-v1-1-0-pre-rooted.html Should work. If it does not, you can boot into recovery and restore a backup.

* sorry off my game today, edited post again

Sounds like a plan to try out... however. Where can I find out the differences between my B&N 1.0.0 rom and the pre-root 1.1.0 rom? From what I saw on XDA it looks like the only real enhancement is pinch and zoom in browsers... Anything else?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Sounds like a plan to try out... however. Where can I find out the differences between my B&N 1.0.0 rom and the pre-root 1.1.0 rom? From what I saw on XDA it looks like the only real enhancement is pinch and zoom in browsers... Anything else?

Not much change. Here is what it said about 1.1 on barnes and noble. Rom would have these changes and not really anything extra root wise.

From B&N:
"Barnes & Noble is providing a minor update to NOOKcolor firmware that will improve NOOKcolor's Wi-Fi connectivity; improve Home and Shop performance; add the ability to pinch and zoom in browser; enhance the reading experience for magazines and children's books; add a text banner to easily identify NOOK kids Read To Me™ books; and other general bug fixes and performance improvements. The software update is available immediately via a manual download here and will also be delivered via an automatic download for devices connected to Wi-Fi®, over the next few days."

Sent from my Droid