[ROM] Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 CWR for eMMC Update (4/3/2011)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP:

Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 (02/15) CWM flashable!
v 0.6.8

* Corrected improper handling of Format SD Card option - no longer formats /boot!
* Touchscreen enhancements - no need to toggle screen on boot and better responsiveness around the edges - thanks deeper-blue!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Update to OP:

Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 (02/15) CWM flashable!
v 0.6.8

* Corrected improper handling of Format SD Card option - no longer formats /boot!
* Touchscreen enhancements - no need to toggle screen on boot and better responsiveness around the edges - thanks deeper-blue!

Sounds like we're actually getting there... anything on the sleep issues yet?

MisterEdF

Feb 24, 2011
I just installed this using CWM and it seems to be "running" fine however I have 2 issues:

#1) Don't have Market. How do I install it?
#2) Screen doesn't go into landscape mode.

I've Googled all over for "Android Nookie Froyo market" but it doesn't give me any help.

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
Just flashed it. It does not have the library. I have read a lot of different forums on this flashable rom and I have to say a lot of people are making this more difficult than it needs to be. I just do everything from the rom manager app. To back up your current rom just open the app and select "backup current rom" and let it do its thing. Same thing for flashing the nookie froyo rom. Just download the file and hook you nook color to your computer via the usb cable and drag and drop the file onto your sd card in the nook. open rom manager and select "install rom from sd card" then if coming from a different rom other than a froyo rom check "data and cache wipe" and let it do its thing. That simple. Not sure why a lot of people are booting into recovery and manually doing everything when the rom manager app is made to do it for you. Oh and I personally wanted to go back to my stock nook color rom for the books and mags. Nookie froyo seemed pretty solid though.

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Just tried to update mine to Nookie Froyo .68 but nothing happened! I extracted the file to a folder, copied it to the SD card, put it in the nook, turned it on and it ignored the card. Argh. Gonna try again.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Just tried to update mine to Nookie Froyo .68 but nothing happened! I extracted the file to a folder, copied it to the SD card, put it in the nook, turned it on and it ignored the card. Argh. Gonna try again.

That is not the way to do it. You can't just copy files over o sd card; it has to be flashed.

-Download the nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.8.img.gz file to you pc
-Extract .gz file to nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.8.img folder (you should get 1 image file named nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.8.img)
-Place you empty SD card in a your card reader
-Mount to your pc in method of you choice (usb or pc internal card reader)
-Open Win32diskimager, https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
-Load image file
-pick destination (your mounted SD card)
-Burn (flash) image to SD card (the SD card will then be reformatted to proper size and image file will be written to SD card)
-Unmount SD card
-Turn off you NC
-Insert SD card
-Turn on NC (Boot)
-Enjoy

Note & caution: Some users of this nookie-froyo rom have experienced some internal recovery corruptibility in which you will need a SD card bootable CWR to fix.

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
I did a test drove of the Froyo from the SD card and everything seemed to work fine. I had market (was able to download and install apps) and was able to access books after downloading the Nook app. I guess it is safe to assume that running this ROM internally would be even better / more stable.

So, I am interested in installing Froyo. The instructions seem very straight forward with the bootable SD card method. Should I go ahead and unroot and make a backup of the B&N ROM firt or just rely on the B&N files posted on XDA in case I need to revert back to original for warranty/repair/exchange purposes.

What's the easiest way to get the current apps back on the NC once Froyo is on there? Can I restore them using Titanium Backup or is it better to do a "fresh install" of each app?

Lastly, how do you guys deal with "incremental" updates. Just use ROM manager to apply the new settings once updates are released? I am guessing that leaves the apps, documents, etc untouched.

Thanks!

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
I am also interested in installing froyo until phiremod gets some decent battery life and working youtube. Since I'm running phiremod internally right now, if I follow this process, (bootable froyo from sd card,) will that just "override" phiremod and leave it untouched, or when I pull the sd card out will phiremod no longer be there/ do I have to get rid of it beforehand? Gracias.

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Ok I got the CWM flashable version of .68 on there. but lots of errors for everything. Something didn't go right. I have no market, the music player doesn't work. I don't think I backed up either I thought it backed up automatically but I think I'm wrong. Thats what happens when you're tired. ARGH. Somebody slap me. Anyway to get the market back and the music player working?

EDIT. Some Apps I had on there before are on there though, like Rom Manager, Angry Birds, Fancy Widget and Titanium Backup (wish I would've used that last one.) Youtube works and I can get to gmail thru the email app thats on there cuz the internet works. HELP!

Last edited:

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
I also have no setting available in the web browser, the gallery won't see the pics on the SD card, when hooked to the PC, it doesnt show up. I guess I've borked it good huh? I'm screwed.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
kdog, if you didn't make a backup, you are going to have to start over...it sounds like you got a messed up install.

HarleyChick

Feb 2, 2011
Just flashed it. It does not have the library. I have read a lot of different forums on this flashable rom and I have to say a lot of people are making this more difficult than it needs to be. I just do everything from the rom manager app. To back up your current rom just open the app and select "backup current rom" and let it do its thing. Same thing for flashing the nookie froyo rom. Just download the file and hook you nook color to your computer via the usb cable and drag and drop the file onto your sd card in the nook. open rom manager and select "install rom from sd card" then if coming from a different rom other than a froyo rom check "data and cache wipe" and let it do its thing. That simple. Not sure why a lot of people are booting into recovery and manually doing everything when the rom manager app is made to do it for you. Oh and I personally wanted to go back to my stock nook color rom for the books and mags. Nookie froyo seemed pretty solid though.

I'm curious - are you talking about flashing Nookie Froyo to your sd card and keeping it there, or are you actually taking it from your sd card and putting into your internal memory on the NC?

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
I'm talking about using the rom manager to install the flashable zip file that I put on my mSD card to the nooks memory.